Parasitic Draw

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Here’s my results on a brand new battery with 850 CCA and 140 aH.

48 hour sitting period:
Start: 12.7v
Finish: 12.38v

11.7 Starter Voltage
14.3 Engine ON Voltage
13.8 Max Load Voltage (as much high demand electronics/features on as possible)

Parasitic Drain Test:
0.06 mA battery hooked up
0.05 mA negative terminal disconnected.

At a 0.06 mA draw 24/7, with my new battery, means I SHOULD be able to let it sit for 97 days before the battery is COMPLETELY dead at 0% (10.5v), BUT vehicles need at least 12v....or so I thought. Based off my security system, with my old battery I frequently dipped to 11.7v (30% charge) and it always started fine.. So what’s the deal here?

All fuses with vehicle off had 0 mV (some would bounce 0 mV to 2 mV but back to 0 mV).

NOW, what I did find on the hidden radio fuse was a steady 3.6 mV draw!!!

See my thing is, a 100% charged battery is 12.7v. So if I’m just chilling at a steady 12.3v (as of the lowest I’ve seen so far on this new battery), then that’s only 70% charged...will this start to diminish my brand new battery?

I don’t see how or why it’s dropping to that battery level so quick. The parasitic test didn’t even change values with the radio fuse removed (which was the ONLY fuse with steady current passing through), so if the radio fuse is the culprit, wouldn’t it have changed the mA test readings? Only thing hooked up to radio is possibly front camera module device (which I have a front camera fuse which gives the camera fuse, but maybe that’s making the current stay steady, not sure yet), and POSSIBLY the aftermarket severity system, not sure if they tapped in to that or ignition wires directly, oh and maybe the iPhone charge cable?

Can anyone check their radio fuse? Curious what mV reading your having after the vehicle is locked and sitting for 10-15 minutes. But again, not sure if this is the culprit.

What’s your parasitic draw tradings?

I even disconnected all the jumpers on the negative and positive terminals and didn’t see any reading drop. I do have a battery maintainer, but I even disconnected that from both battery terminal posts and saw no reading change their either and that’s actually the only thing I’ve hardwired to battery. Everything else goes through fuses or directly through vehicle cables/wires.

My security system previously before new battery would alert me of 11.7v after 5 days of vehicle sitting. That’s what prompted this whole fiasco. But then learned that the security system voltage can be 1.95v LOWER than ACTUAL voltage. But still, if it’s 11.9v actual, then that’s only 40% charged, and I’m sure hurting the longevity of the cells.

Unless CCA is the key and I can just **** and go on with my life not losing anymore sleep over this issue because CCA will resurrect the battery for years to come.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I do remember reading your battery replacement thread a few days ago and thinking to myself “I don’t think this is a battery issue”, but, you seemed adamant about getting a new one. Now, I gotta ask, what’s the behavior with everything aftermarket disconnected. You mentioned in the other thread an OBD device that stays plugged in, but is “not powered when the truck is off”. The OBD port does supply constant battery power, though. I’ll check my radio fuse voltage tomorrow.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
@SoCal can probably help

The Blue Mule

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
I do remember reading your battery replacement thread a few days ago and thinking to myself “I don’t think this is a battery issue”, but, you seemed adamant about getting a new one. Now, I gotta ask, what’s the behavior with everything aftermarket disconnected. You mentioned in the other thread an OBD device that stays plugged in, but is “not powered when the truck is off”. The OBD port does supply constant battery power, though. I’ll check my radio fuse voltage tomorrow.

Hah hey no regrets though. Solid gains going from ****** OEM to this one though so I’m sure it was a good decision for the long run.

Great info!! I’ll have to pull the OBD and recheck tomorrow. Wasn’t aware it’s “always on”, especially since I didn’t get any fuse readings if it was always on.. Thanks!

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Try checking your alternator. I've seen them back feed and kill batteries in no time. When the field winding wire stays on it will keep the alternator energized even when turned off. I'd try disconnecting the connector and power wire from it completely just to rule it out.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Your radio shows a small current draw because it is needed to maintain your preset stations and various settings, similar to the way a CMOS battery in a computer saves your setup/hard drive config/boot options, etc.

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
How/where can I find @SoCal?

What’s a “field winding wire”? I had 11.7v starter voltage, but that is interesting, never heard about this before, and let’s just say it “is” the case, not even sure how to get the issue corrected. I’ll have to find the location of it and give that a shot.

Yep you’re right, just wasn’t sure if that was too high of a voltage.

Security system had two antennas, one for a feature I hated and disabled, but still had plugged in until yesterday, so guess we’ll see if that makes any difference but I doubt it.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Id start by disconnecting all wires from the alternator. If the problem goes away it's an electrical fault within the alternator it's self, replacing it fixes the issue.2d2c26c692715d0c68085ec4f9ef978b.jpg

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
did you ever find what the draw was, i'm chasing this myself.