Park assist when backing up in Rain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Not sure if it was default or I turned it on.

But setting to auto brake when you are about to hit something was on.

It was raining a lot, I'm backing up, nothing behind me or on sides for 200 feet.

Truck slams on brakes, big red message flashed on center console.
Of course the truck wouldn't move. So have put it in park, before I could start going forward or back.

There is way too much computer(s) in cars/trucks and bad programming. We can't simple little programs to work without bugs.
But we add this crap to our cars/trucks... Other fools want to these things to 'auto' drive for them...

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I agree with you completely. When I ordered my new 2500 I specifically didn't buy adaptive cruise, auto brake etc becuase in a rig that gets used off pavement a lot, those do not work well at all. I too do not see a day any time soon where auto drive is remotely feasible. The sensors and programming just isn't anywhere near good enough.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure if it was default or I turned it on.

But setting to auto brake when you are about to hit something was on.

It was raining a lot, I'm backing up, nothing behind me or on sides for 200 feet.

Truck slams on brakes, big red message flashed on center console.
Of course the truck wouldn't move. So have put it in park, before I could start going forward or back.

There is way too much computer(s) in cars/trucks and bad programming. We can't simple little programs to work without bugs.
But we add this crap to our cars/trucks... Other fools want to these things to 'auto' drive for them...
Go into Uconnect find it and turn off the FEATURE. I turned mine off so all I have to let bug me a second is the message in EVIC when I put vehicle in reverse: "Rear Park Sense Braking Assist Turned Off". The sensors still work, just the "auto" braking turned off.
".

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
You don't have to turn off the park assist, all you have to turn off is Auto Brake. Problem with doing that is I think it also turns that feature off re pedestrian safety, front collision etc.

OP
OP
CanRebel

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
You are correct, it's option Auto Brake. I think I'm one that turned it on.

It was more of the 'shock' when backing up and Truck just stopped instantly while I'm pressing the gas.

Post was mostly me whining about stupid broken technology :)

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I would try a quality ceramic based wax on the sensor faces. The hydrophobic properties should help keep the water off them which should eliminate the issue.

OP
OP
CanRebel

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I would try a quality ceramic based wax on the sensor faces. The hydrophobic properties should help keep the water off them which should eliminate the issue.

That is interesting idea. Might give it try.

Was planning on doing ceramic and PPF in front in few weeks.

Not 100% sure if it was rain on the sensor, or just fact it was raining so hard, the sensor picked it up a 'solid' object.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You don't have to turn off the park assist, all you have to turn off is Auto Brake. Problem with doing that is I think it also turns that feature off re pedestrian safety, front collision etc.
Separate settings for Front Warning Collision vs Rear Park Braking Assist. U can turn off the rear, front still function. Per MY 19 manual.sda1.JPGsda2.JPG

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Separate settings for Front Warning Collision vs Rear Park Braking Assist. U can turn off the rear, front still function. Per MY 19 manual.
Yes. My 2021 is the same. It actually have two buttons that control front and rear. The issue is, it isn't park assist that is slamming on the brakes. With it off and auto brake on the brakes will still activate if you get too close to something, at least that is the way I understand the emergency braking system.

OP
OP
CanRebel

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I don't have all that on my Rebel. They removed the option to even add it.
I have Parksense Ft/Rr Park Assist w/Stop (that just those sensors in front and back) only back up camera.
First pic is the thing that caused it, as far as I know.

1631161429343.png

1631161461169.png

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Set to off... Other than that U just have to set however in your settings. I cannot attest to the 2021/Rebel. Also not sure if yours even came with the new spiffy trailer back up stuff, which is new for 2021, so since I got a 19 cannot know what was added/subtracted, can only post what I have. LOL...

OP
OP
CanRebel

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Ya. I took off that option after it happened.
I shouldn't have had to though. It should work correctly.

As for my Truck options. When I build it on web site, when it come to dealer.
It was nope, can't do pick that anymore, etc..
So I have some 'towing' options but not all.

If the chip issue is ever over and other parts. I'm guessing I should be able to add stuff later if I want.
Or 3rd party stuff.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01