Parking brake is not enough for ice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
Ice is ice. Locked wheels are locked. It's still gonna slide as it will be the same as locking the brakes on an icy road.
A heck of a difference between one, two, or three wheels holding in a static mode.

GeoffG68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm a flatlander in SE Michigan. We get ice all the time, but our vehicles go nowhere. If it was me, I'd revert to knowledge from something our state is known for: watercraft. Tie that sucker off to something sturdy, like a tree! If you have tow hooks or a trailer hitch, make yourself a length of rope with a bowline loop pre tied, and just loop it around the hitch or hook when you park it. It won't go anywhere far!

DOT

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
A heck of a difference between one, two, or three wheels holding in a static mode.
Some difference but this primarily a tire problem, as the wheels are already locked. In the absence of grippier tires OP needs to chock the wheels or otherwise anchor the vehicle to something relatively immovable.

zrock

Reaction score
Toss some salt down on your driveway and the issue is solved will help keep your ass from hitting the pavement as well..LOL

TC Retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ED
You all have me wondering now about something I had not even thought about.

My 21 1500 ED has 4 settings - 2wd, Auto, 4high and 4 low. Has anyone tested the 4high/low and the TC staying locked after shutdown theory? We get ice and have hills but the hills are far too long and steep to be testing a slide... Just glad I have a garage -- even though the Queen is an absolute pig when brought in from the snow or ice.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
I solved the sliding on ice issue by moving to Florida.
:)
i solved it by screwing some sharpened flat iron to one edge of some large rubber tire chocks to act like cleats.much cheaper than moving house.my driveway turns into an ice slide every winter.i've had to winch up it more than once.my chocks have saved me from crashing through my workshop on more than one occasion.

Last edited:

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
On your 3/4 ton the transfer case should stay engaged in 4wd with engine off.
The 1/2 tons with the transfer case with an "auto" mode will not stay in 4wd when the key is off.
That was my thought as well with Auto 4 wd, 3/4 ton would be different. What about the manual 4 wd? don't know. The streets around here are under ice, We had rain on top of hard pack snow and them it dropped to -20 , Not a rare thing up here . I run studded winter tires in winter.
Had a fellow slide into me a few years back, all 4 wheels locked, and he did not understand that you can't steer if the wheel aren't turning
I don't use salt much, it is real hard on cement, and grass, I have some "pet friendly stuff, don't do much on the ice i cold, but it is good for traction, and will soften the top some.
Mine sits in the garage, but friend has a real steep drive way, hard to walk on it in winter.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Tie it off, chock it, park with the rear bumper against the snow berm or sand the parking spot. If you don't want too do any of that, seems the simplest answer to me would be to leave the truck down on the flatter spot where it slid too.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wait!... this isn't Rams fault somehow??:)

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 83728 miles

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wait!... this isn't Rams fault somehow??:)

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 83728 miles
Yeah Yeah, blame the engineers for not Having a Winch on the front of every RAM that we could un-reel and tie off to a stationary object, yeah yeah, LOL. :angels25::33::Big Laugh:

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sure glad my pu is all manual instead of all that electronic crap, don't have to worry about if everything stays locked in when you shut the key off.
Yup, but, if U R parked on an incline, even locked up, eventually you could end up sliding down a hill. Not care what tires U got, etc, just plain ole gravity and physics. Yeah, I wish I had manual locking stuff instead of the knob and electronic actuators, LOL.

HECK, even going down hills/inclines in a Humvee, sometimes we be going for a ride, especially with a loaded 3/4 ton behind U pushing, LOL. Fun days back in Germany in the Alps and such.

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah Yeah, blame the engineers for not Having a Winch on the front of every RAM that we could unreal and tie off to a stationary object, yeah yeah, LOL. :angels25::33::Big Laugh:

And think of all the entertainment value with miscellaneous posts.

I was running out the door in a big hurry, jumped in my truck, and hauled out the 'xxxxx' onto my laneway. :cool:

PS; the above potential incident is more likely with a rear-mounted winch or anchor line to the bumper or hitch.

Last edited:

NASCAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7L Turbo
I’m sorry your truck wanted to leave you but happy I’m not the only one with a runaway now. Mine only slid 20 feet before rolling into the street gutter from my sloped driveway. Now when I park on a wet it icy slope I use a chock. One thing I have to advise you to research on your own but living where temperatures are below freezing, many emergency brake cables freeze up in the winter. If that happens to you your truck won’t go anywhere until it gets warmer and the ice thaws the cable. Just a word of advice from experience.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One thing I have to advise you to research on your own but living where temperatures are below freezing, many emergency brake cables freeze up in the winter. If that happens to you your truck won’t go anywhere until it gets warmer and the ice thaws the cable. Just a word of advice from experience.

For most of us living in a Northern climate, parking brakes are a summer option, never in winter. :cool:

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
Mine gets used daily, summer and winter. Has been for a great many years. Originally from driving standard transmissions.
When used frequently I have not had issues with them.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I parked the truck at the top of the driveway where there was the least snow and ice. Sometime during the night it did its own walkabout down the hill. Luckily the locked rear wheels accumulated some snow behind them, so the truck stopped when that snow hit a berm.
The truck is a 2020 2500 diesel.
You can see the track the truck left from its voyage.
My question is if putting it in 4WD or 4LOW would have locked the front wheels, which would have prevented the slide.
Damn near perfect parking job!

4WD may helped, but if it is icy enough as others have said, it won't stop it.

Easiest fix is to park where it parked itself :)