Parking brake light won’t turn off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
After a month of back and forth with dealer and FCA, FCA not covering warranty of faulty parking brake. Needless to say I'm disappointed as all prior warranty claims were covered 100% and absurd to think I would intentionally drive with parking brake engaged. Decided will not to repair and just not have one I guess. Hardly ever used it in first place.

My hope is that sometime in near future this will come out as a recall.

A good dealership with an excellent service adviser might get this covered by 3yr/36K warranty depending on how busy they are, etc.

It's easy enough to tell if it's rusted/seized or if the P-brake was left engaged and driven on. The shoes and drum surface would be all burned up.

Problem is, this is like a $1300 repair. I have a co-worker who got this covered by his aftermarket extended warranty on his 2016 Ram 1500 a year or two ago when he noticed his P-brake cable sagging.

Mine didn't seize up on my 2017 until ~40K miles, but I was barely through 2 winters, which is really sad. I got mine freed up, but it's going to take yearly cleanings/regreasings to keep it that way.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
My 99 Ram sport never had a problem in 16 years but my 2014 had this problem in 3 years (twice in 5 years)...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

My 2013 1500 has been the toughest vehicle i’ve ever owned in my life. She’s taken beatings after beatings and just keeps on turning on and running like a dream every morning. She’s been more reliable than all toyota’s i’ve owned. She recently got into a really bad accident because the driver in front of me wasn’t paying attention and braked really hard, and i almost hit their rear end but i swerved and the truck jumped a 6 inch barrier and well around 5-6 feet into the side of rocky hill that’s around 15-20 feet high, and the only damage was a few scratches on the frame and a flat tire.

Sent from my iPhone XS Max in my 2013 Magnum 4.7L V8

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My 2013 1500 has been the toughest vehicle i’ve ever owned in my life. She’s taken beatings after beatings and just keeps on turning on and running like a dream every morning. She’s been more reliable than all toyota’s i’ve owned. She recently got into a really bad accident because the driver in front of me wasn’t paying attention and braked really hard, and i almost hit their rear end but i swerved and the truck jumped a 6 inch barrier and well around 5-6 feet into the side of rocky hill that’s around 15-20 feet high, and the only damage was a few scratches on the frame and a flat tire.

Sent from my iPhone XS Max in my 2013 Magnum 4.7L V8
Don't get me wrong, I love my truck. I just hate the parking brake...

RAMHON

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 5 4X4
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI® MDS VVT Engine
Don't get me wrong, I love my truck. I just hate the parking brake...

Likewise +1 - I have a 2016 with just under 70k miles. Since 25k miles it has been a laundry list of relativity minor issues for me. Overall it is hard to complain about the design of the truck in general but it is certainly a chore to deal with all the quality related issues that pop up and require trips to dealership. Prior to this Ram I owned two Honda Ridgelines that I never had any issues with. Unfortunately my family outgrew the Ridgeline. When life returns to normal, I will sadly be seeking an alternative more reliable vehicle. My patience has been exhausted dealing with leaks, broken manifold bolts, broken wheel bearings, defective cameras, parking brake.....Regret for me this last issue was final straw and FCA rationale for denying warranty claim is totally illogical and very short sighted. TheEnder you are very fortunate with your 2013 sounds like a keeper. Keeping mine was certainly my intention.

Last edited: