Part in oil pan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alashley1122

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I have a 2012 5.7 and recently had my oil drain plug fall out while driving. Now it has a knock. I dropped the oil pan and found metal shavings and this in the pan. Can anyone tell me where it could have came from?8D07278F-B8C3-49C7-B70D-8498382162E4.jpegEBF3D5DE-74AC-4487-974B-C1239CE7514C.jpeg

OP
OP
A

Alashley1122

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
So with the engine being the way it is how could that have gotten into the oil pan without busting through a piston or something of that degree?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So with the engine being the way it is how could that have gotten into the oil pan without busting through a piston or something of that degree?
Didn't you already get several answers to what it was on facebook.If i was to hazard a guess,after the lifter seized and broke,that piece probably popped out and fell through an oil drain back hole.Think several guys have told you the engine is done for,and i'm inclined to agree.Don't even attempt to do a cam and lifter job on it,just pull it and swap a new or used engine in place,as there's a good chance the main and rod bearings will be toast,as they'd get air first after the oil pan drained itself but the pump is still turning ,but is now pumping air.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Alashley1122

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
If I put both posts up at the same time of course I’m going to get many answers, and many of which don’t describe what I have going on. If the lifter seized and broke why would I not find the retaining clip, or why hasn’t it thrown a push rod. There was a cam job freshly done before this happened. If you can’t add input without throwing jabs don’t comment.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure what jabs you are referring to.
However, chances are the rod or main bearing are shot if you ran any amount of time without oil pressure - which you don't say whether you did or didn't. Does the knock sound deep or light tick?

If it is from a lifter, it's possible it was left over from the previous cam job, retaining clip could be anywhere. I am assuming you pulled the valve covers to know it hasn't tossed a push rod.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If I put both posts up at the same time of course I’m going to get many answers, and many of which don’t describe what I have going on. If the lifter seized and broke why would I not find the retaining clip, or why hasn’t it thrown a push rod. There was a cam job freshly done before this happened. If you can’t add input without throwing jabs don’t comment.
If you've got the pan off,why haven't you pulled a couple main caps and rod bearings,that's what you should be worrying about,instead of worrying about how a piece of lifter ended up in the pan.

OP
OP
A

Alashley1122

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
That was the point of me taking the pan off. Why wouldn’t I worry about that as well.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That was the point of me taking the pan off. Why wouldn’t I worry about that as well.
Common sense should have told you where the piece originated from,and that same common sense should of told you,there has to be someway the oil has to get back to the oilpan after it's been pumped up to the heads,and common sense should tell you,that there must be oil drain back holes in the block.With that i'm out,good luck on your adventure.

Chuck962500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pull that valve covers and the oil pan and a breaker be ar and roll it over by hand and you will find out if it's what rth saving or not .might get lucky with some reman heads and the bottom end is good like a head gasket over heat .

Chuck962500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This one was ticking away and I saved her no wall damage and currently at 380 k lazy oil pump but it still going

Attachments

• 20170510_193242.jpg
    20170510_193242.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 24

fireflymedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
If you ran engine with no oil and have metal shavings I would replace engine.

OP
OP
A

Alashley1122

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Common sense should have told you where the piece originated from,and that same common sense should of told you,there has to be someway the oil has to get back to the oilpan after it's been pumped up to the heads,and common sense should tell you,that there must be oil drain back holes in the block.With that i'm out,good luck on your adventure.
See there you go. If I’m asking it’s for a reason. Can’t be common sense when not everyone has been working on engines long. Common sense would have told you that. Like I said bro if you can’t add without criticism don’t get on here. That’s not what this for.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
See there you go. If I’m asking it’s for a reason. Can’t be common sense when not everyone has been working on engines long. Common sense would have told you that. Like I said bro if you can’t add without criticism don’t get on here. That’s not what this for.
So you had to be told there's oil drain back holes in the block.How did you think the oil that's pumped up to the rocker shafts gets back to the oil pan,anybody with an eye and a$$hole should be able to figure out there has to be holes in the block to allow the oil to return to the pan.If you can't take critism "bro",the internet probably isn't for you,especially if you need a picture drawn for you. I'm pretty good at helping out,but at my age i don't have much patience for stupidity or the lack of common sense, :Big Laugh: :waytogo:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I tried to help him out in post #6,but it seems my answer got his knickers all wound up,after that he became fair game,lol

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If I find something like that in my oil pan, the truck is on a flatbed to a engine shop. Not going to spend time asking strangers what it is or how it got there; pretty apparent it doesn't belong there and I have a problem.