Part in oil pan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You’re weird
Little tidbit for you kid,you might want to start running at least a 5W-30 or even a 5W-40 and keep the rpms down, hopefully it'll last you a couple thousand more miles.Bearing ram jobs, with-out turning the crank usually don't last very long,and a thicker oil might keep it alive a bit longer.
" Weird ",hell you gotta do better then that kid,even i could of told you that that one ;)

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Remember when we were 16 and the knew more and were tougher then the old man,i think that's what we're dealing with here,lol.The younger generation isn't being raised like we were,they get ribbons for being last now :rolleyes: ;)

You don’t know how I was raised or what I’ve been through. Keep this thread about trucks and not what you don’t know about
Nor do you regarding any of us. Some of us were turning wrenches long before you were a fuzzy feeling in your Dad.

We were all young(er) and sometimes learned stuff the hard way. I know I did.

Kind of like if there's shavings circulating in your engine and you dont get them all out, there's a big potential for failure down the road, and square one it is, again.

Quite a few of us have also lived through the 'hothead' phase too, and life's attitude adjustments that come with it.

Hope your repairs are solid and last you for many miles. Happy RAMming.

metalchewy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
4.7L
Used stock bearings the crank was fine
The only reason I asked, is that around 2006, my dad hauled a 77 Ramcharger from Utah to here for me. An old retired Idaho Farm truck used to transport ranch hands around.

As I was getting it roadworthy, I was out in the desert north of town and wiped one of the #8 lobes. Limped it back to the highway and had a friend to it home.

Did a poor man's rebuild on it. Cam, cam bearings, main and rod bearings. (Kids, mortgage, bills, etc was all I could afford). Odometer had a little over 60k, and I knew 318s run upwards of 350k before they wear out.

Put Std bearings all around. Measured the crank bearings with plastiguage, but not the rods. Bearings on those looked barely worn.

Initial break in was fine, it ran way stronger with the lumpier cam for about 700 miles and then threw a couple rods on the freeway. Destroyed the block, crank, cam, intake, pan, and the cross-link was bent as a result.

It was a huge regret not measuring those journals. Two bearings at .003 undersized was probably all it would have taken.

I hope things turn out well with yours. And you don't end up having to ponder 'What If'...

OP
OP
A

Alashley1122

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
The only reason I asked, is that around 2006, my dad hauled a 77 Ramcharger from Utah to here for me. An old retired Idaho Farm truck used to transport ranch hands around.

As I was getting it roadworthy, I was out in the desert north of town and wiped one of the #8 lobes. Limped it back to the highway and had a friend to it home.

Did a poor man's rebuild on it. Cam, cam bearings, main and rod bearings. (Kids, mortgage, bills, etc was all I could afford). Odometer had a little over 60k, and I knew 318s run upwards of 350k before they wear out.

Put Std bearings all around. Measured the crank bearings with plastiguage, but not the rods. Bearings on those looked barely worn.

Initial break in was fine, it ran way stronger with the lumpier cam for about 700 miles and then threw a couple rods on the freeway. Destroyed the block, crank, cam, intake, pan, and the cross-link was bent as a result.

It was a huge regret not measuring those journals. Two bearings at .003 undersized was probably all it would have taken.

I hope things turn out well with yours. And you don't end up having to ponder 'What If'...
I appreciate that insight. Kinda strapped for time and money so had to do what I had to to get it back running. On another note it’s all a learning lesson and now I have someone wanting me to do the same to theirs. Thanks again

OP
OP
A

Alashley1122

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Nor do you regarding any of us. Some of us were turning wrenches long before you were a fuzzy feeling in your Dad.

We were all young(er) and sometimes learned stuff the hard way. I know I did.

Kind of like if there's shavings circulating in your engine and you dont get them all out, there's a big potential for failure down the road, and square one it is, again.

Quite a few of us have also lived through the 'hothead' phase too, and life's attitude adjustments that come with it.

Hope your repairs are solid and last you for many miles. Happy RAMming.
Had nothing to do with you but everybody wants to relevant. I never said anything about people’s upbringing. I put the post up hoping to hear from educated, respectful, seasoned Ram mechanics. Whether or not that is you I don’t know, cause you guys like you just try to exercise your SUPERIOR knowledge to people trying to gain knowledge. Hope you never have questions on things you don’t fully understand

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I get the time/money thing - as probably most of us do.

It seems there's always time and money to redo too many things a second time, which for some reason takes way to long and way to many times doing it to learn not to just do it right the first time. lol.

OP, did you turn it over by hand before starting to see if there were any tight spots?

Blue isn't the ideal journal color lol :)

I have polished bearings in the car over the years, but those cranks generally weren't as hardened as I think the hemi crank is. Also, most of those engine weren't putting out over 1hp/cubic inch hahaha.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Had nothing to do with you but everybody wants to relevant. I never said anything about people’s upbringing. I put the post up hoping to hear from educated, respectful, seasoned Ram mechanics. Whether or not that is you I don’t know, cause you guys like you just try to exercise your SUPERIOR knowledge to people trying to gain knowledge. Hope you never have questions on things you don’t fully understand
Well, I am not a Ram mechanic. I am mechanically inclined, but the only experience I have is with my 2 Rams and other vehicles I've had through the years.

I don't have tons of money, so I've had to do my own work on my vehicles out of necessity. I too came to this site to learn. I've had plenty of questions about my Ram, and the members here have shared their knowledge with me. Basic stuff, too.

As a result, I have even been able to share my knowledge and experience with others on this very same site.

So, if my Ram decides to sh*t the bed, here's where I will look for help.

So a guy like me is pretty much in the same boat as a guy like you.

I have lots to learn, and learn new stuff almost every day. I turn to the members here that have a ton of knowledge compared to mine.

So, if you want to learn, stick around, there is a tremendous amount of knowledge on this site.

I did learn long ago, in my youth, that carrying a chip on my shoulder was not a good thing.....

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I get the time/money thing - as probably most of us do.

It seems there's always time and money to redo too many things a second time, which for some reason takes way to long and way to many times doing it to learn not to just do it right the first time. lol.

OP, did you turn it over by hand before starting to see if there were any tight spots?

Blue isn't the ideal journal color lol :)

I have polished bearings in the car over the years, but those cranks generally weren't as hardened as I think the hemi crank is. Also, most of those engine weren't putting out over 1hp/cubic inch hahaha.
I've done a couple in chassis bearing jobs with-out turning the crank or re-sizing the rods,and they've never really been a long lasting repair,especially if the rod journals had turned blue from heat,usually they'd throw a rod with-in a couple thousand miles.Hopefully he has good luck though,and the engine lasts for awhile.If he took close up pics of the crank journals and bearings,it'd be nice to see them

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've done a couple in chassis bearing jobs with-out turning the crank or re-sizing the rods,and they've never really been a long lasting repair,especially if the rod journals had turned blue from heat,usually they'd throw a rod with-in a couple thousand miles.Hopefully he has good luck though,and the engine lasts for awhile.If he took close up pics of the crank journals and bearings,it'd be nice to see them
I have never been brave enough to try a blue journal - they are usually all sorts of not round after the heat treating.
Honestly, I don't think I have ever seen a blue journal that didn't have some embedded bearing stuck to it.

I have seen a few blue cranks with part of the rod still on it and a nice big ventilation hole in the block from the rod that decided it had turned it's last revolution :)

If the crank didn't go oblong and if he flushed the engine really really well, including replacing or at the very least disassembling and cleaning the oil pump, he might have a chance.

Hopefully it will last.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have never been brave enough to try a blue journal - they are usually all sorts of not round after the heat treating.
Honestly, I don't think I have ever seen a blue journal that didn't have some embedded bearing stuck to it.

I have seen a few blue cranks with part of the rod still on it and a nice big ventilation hole in the block from the rod that decided it had turned it's last revolution :)

If the crank didn't go oblong and if he flushed the engine really really well, including replacing or at the very least disassembling and cleaning the oil pump, he might have a chance.

Hopefully it will last.
Maybe Lady Luck will be on his side,and the engine lasts for him.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got a feeling they're ******* in a knott around his neck and he can't breathe to type.