partially clogged exhaust and did not know

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PRAJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Believe me I know this sounds bad Ive beat myself up enough. lol and its my first diesel.I was pulling my rv recently and it bogged down got out and checked the trailer tires to make sure I hadn't had a flat. got back in eased on the pedal and it pulled away. only had to travel a couple more miles til home. unhooked and drove truck and it drove fine no problem. Well about a week later I was going down the interstate and boom out of my tailpipe came pile a of dpf trash that covered up the entire width of the road behind me. now my truck seems to be lacking power somewhat don't get me wrong it will still get up and go full speed ahead and I have pulled my rv since about 50 or 60 miles and it did ok. It just seems that the motor is having to work harder to do it. what have I hurt? If anyone else had this happen I would like to hear about it.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What year truck for starters..... Highly unlikely it is "DPF trash" coming out. You sure someone didn't stuff something in your exhaust?

OP
OP
P

PRAJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2013 and it was dpf trash. I know because im the idiot that left it in there. Like I said at the beginning. This is going to sound bad.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I seriously doubt it was DPF trash. If it was really so clogged up that it blew out the guts of the DPF there would definitely have been some kind of check engine light on before.

OP
OP
P

PRAJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ok let me tell it like it is I took my exhaust apart and rodded the filters out I did not completely clean them out and from bouncing around it started coming apart. look when I say something about my vehicle believe it. when it puked that crap out of my pipe that's when I took it apart again and cleaned it out,cleaned it out. but the back pressure has done something to my motor and I don't know what. That's why im on here trying to see if some other idiot like me has done this and what the final verdict was.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
ok let me tell it like it is I took my exhaust apart and rodded the filters out I did not completely clean them out and from bouncing around it started coming apart. look when I say something about my vehicle believe it. when it puked that crap out of my pipe that's when I took it apart again and cleaned it out,cleaned it out. but the back pressure has done something to my motor and I don't know what. That's why im on here trying to see if some other idiot like me has done this and what the final verdict was.
This information would have been helpful in the first post....

Obviously it probably cause some.sort of blockage and back pressure bit have no idea what kind of damage it could have done? Have you scanned for stores codes? Maybe a turbo actuator issue but that's just a guess.

OP
OP
P

PRAJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Forgive me for not including that in the first place. Im running a race me ultra. I am getting an actuator code but ive had that eversince I replaced the turbo. Replaced it about 6 months before this ever happened. Lost it in the icestorm in texas. Exhaust brake and all was working fine until this happened. My turbo is working but the exhaust brake is really weak and when I changed my air filter there was a lot of what looked to be burnt oil on the bottom side of it. Ive even had a couple of people drive it that have 2500's and they say it runs just like theres but its my truck and I can tell it is not like it was before this happened.

OP
OP
P

PRAJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Afraid the exhaust brake is weak because the motor is weak. as in motor is not pushing hard enough against the brake. new at this diesel stuff had nothing but problems since I got it.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Sounds exactly like a failing actuator to me (very common with these trucks). I doubt you did any damage to the engine.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Get the City Diesel actuator and be done with it.