Radiator Shops use chemicals & steam

Mister Luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
What metals ? cast iron ? aluminum ?
old school parts washers used a solution of sodium hydroxide (lye) but you wouldn’t put aluminum through them

Some part stores still sell small buckets of carb dip with a strainer and or you use to be able to pick up aerosol cans of carb cleaner at the .99 cent store

Tide detergent and hot water or any degreaser but stuff like Simple green does a number on some plastics
transmission oil or deep creep foaming cleaner , goop-off but again not plastics friendly

Brake cleaner a portable steam cleaner , baking soda and vinegar , soaking for a few hours, “solvent alcohol” wipe down, agitators or vibrating abrasives containers like rock hounds or jewelers use for small pieces, nuts , bolts .
Or if money’s no object a Dry ice blaster.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Transmission & engine rebuilders still use Steam Cabinets
Radiator Shops use chemicals & steam

Smaller shops? We didn't even have that in Auto Shop in High School, and it was a big shop. Nor at work. I be poor!

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
What metals ? cast iron ? aluminum ?
old school parts washers used a solution of sodium hydroxide (lye) but you wouldn’t put aluminum through them

Some part stores still sell small buckets of carb dip with a strainer and or you use to be able to pick up aerosol cans of carb cleaner at the .99 cent store

Tide detergent and hot water or any degreaser but stuff like Simple green does a number on some plastics
transmission oil or deep creep foaming cleaner , goop-off but again not plastics friendly

Brake cleaner a portable steam cleaner , baking soda and vinegar , soaking for a few hours, “solvent alcohol” wipe down, agitators or vibrating abrasives containers like rock hounds or jewelers use for small pieces, nuts , bolts .
Or if money’s no object a Dry ice blaster.

Any metals, basically. I hadn't planned on solvent cleaning any plastic parts cause you never know what is safe and what the part is made of. I've used Isopropyl Alcohol with pretty good results for paint prep, but not for grease and dirt on old parts. They still let us have MEK for a while, but that stuff's so evaporative you can't use in a dip.

Carb Dip was weakened - new stuff is about the same as any other "odorless" (higher flash temp) mineral spirits now. I know because I looked at an old can of Chem Dip in the shop vs. what's sold today.

They're taking the chlorinated solvents out of brake cleaners also.

JTonietto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
About 2 years ago, I bought a HF 20 gallon parts washer and used their aqueous cleaning solution. I was VERY impressed with how well that solution worked...for a couple of months.

I had to drain and replace the solution so often, I switched over to TSC parts washer solvent (Crown PSC-1000).

I removed the pump from the side of the washer tank, submerged it in a 5 gallon container of the TSC solvent and have been running the washer like that for almost a year now. The solvent continuously drains into the 5 gallon container, so there is minimal odor and zero solvent at the bottom of the washer tank.

The pump is submerged in the solvent container and it is sitting on a perch that keeps the pump inlet about 3 inches above the bottom of the container. A fine brass screen keeps any large particles from getting into the pump inlet. It works great. There are lots of youtube videos and posts on garagejournal about parts washer mods; I picked a few of those ideas and built what I thought would suit my needs.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
full service gas stations back in the '60s use to get parts cleaner stations on the cheap side.
One of those stations went out of business & sold almost all of the equipment, fan belts, etc.
In that stuff was a parts washer with some brand of windshield wipers
The wiper company must have specially ordered several of these as advertisement gimmick, the pump was bad & you could buy a electric fuel pump for next to nothing.
I kept that parts cleaning tool for several years, but i had to downsize larger pieces of equipment, because i lost the 2nd garage that i had been using.
I am about to downsize again, mostly large Ram parts

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
LOL
Foot bath or parts cleaner

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
LOL
Foot bath or parts cleaner

Great. Wife just saw that and is asking if that sander could work on the side of our bath tub.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
That might be like sitting on a idling Harley Shovelhead w/ rigid frame