Passenger fender rubbing door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Claydus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 RAM Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As the title says, my new to me 2020 RAM has a slight issue when opening the passenger door. It rubs the front fender and some paint is chipping off the door. I noticed it this weekend just 3 days after buying the truck.

It appears that the middle and bottom alignment of the fender is not lining up 100% with the door. Or possibly the door isn't lining up with the fender. However, the gaps and measurements between the front and rear passenger door have same gap and alignment from what I can tell. So I am leaning toward the fender being the issue.

I have contacted the dealer to see what can be done about this.

Door closed. Wide shot.
door-far.jpg

Door closed. Zoomed in. You can almost see how higher the door sits above fender right here.
door-closeup.jpg

Opening door. Zoomed in door rubbing.
door-opening3.jpg

Straight edge measurements at middle.
doorfender-alignment1.jpg

This measurement looks fine. Driver side looks like this all the way down.
doorfender-alignment2.jpg

Straight edge measurements at bottom.
doorfender-alignment3.jpg

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
As the title says, my new to me 2020 RAM has a slight issue when opening the passenger door. It rubs the front fender and some paint is chipping off the door. I noticed it this weekend just 3 days after buying the truck.

It appears that the middle and bottom alignment of the fender is not lining up 100% with the door. Or possibly the door isn't lining up with the fender. However, the gaps and measurements between the front and rear passenger door have same gap and alignment from what I can tell. So I am leaning toward the fender being the issue.

Door closed. Wide shot.
View attachment 512810

Door closed. Zoomed in. You can almost see how higher the door sits above fender right here.
View attachment 512809

View attachment 512808

View attachment 512807

View attachment 512806

View attachment 512805
If you Bought the truck from the dealer take it back have them fix it under warranty ! even used vehicles from a reputable dealer has at least a 30 DAY Warranty !

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
I agree. Take it back sharpish. That will rust in no time wherever you live. Looks like bare metal from the pics. Should be an easy adjustment for any body shop.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If your dealership is anything like mine they'll refer you to a body shop. Hopefully they'll take care of this on their dime. It's a little late for you now now, but opening all doors, hood, trunk/tailgate to check for clearance is in my normal process when buying used. It's likely that truck was involved in some kind of accident for that to have happened.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The way the paint is chipping in the door makes it look like there was a repaint done there. Also, check the fender where it meets the inside engine compartment for over spray. That might be a replacement part. Did your vehicle report indicate an accident? Wouldn't always, especially if the prior owner just had someone fix it on their own.

Chumbucket12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The same thing happened to my 2011 1500. but mine was in a really bad accident with over 12 grand of damage to the front of the truck. A GMC SUV landed on my hood head-on. I'm having tons of problems with the truck and this is one of them. My paint is coming off between the passenger fender and the door just like yours but closer to the mirror. I noticed after the repair the passenger bodyline was too close but was told by the horrible shop that it was because it's a ram and that's how they fit. I just noticed the paint a few days ago so it hasn't been remedied yet but I'm assuming some body work has been done to your truck to cause this.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
when checking body gaps, i use a paint stick

i have not used that method on anything newer, like yours

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

Door closed. Wide shot.
View attachment 512810

View attachment 512809

View attachment 512808

View attachment 512807

View attachment 512806

View attachment 512805
Looks like the bottom of the fender just needs to come out a touch or door in not a big issue easy fix !!!! and blow in the edge of the door and fender !!!! even brand new vehicles have this issue sometimes bolts are not tightened up enough on the panels and they move or alignment tool used moved when tightened up ! when i worked at a dealer we had a collision center where I worked and seen this often .!