Passenger window and mirror failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Digi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So this is odd. My main switch drivers side works for every window but the passenger front window. It can unlock the door, but it cannot put the window down or move the mirror. I checked the passenger front door, it also can't move the window down, but it also won't unlock doors. Thought it might be switch, but that doesn't make sense for both master switch and passenger to not work. Checked fuses, everything looks good, last option I can think of is the motor. However, I don't think that handles the power mirror for the window.

Anyone experienced this? Does the motor for power window have something to do with the mirror or is it possible two different issues?

Thanks.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Welcome to the forum! Please give us the details of your truck. Kind of hard to help when we don't know what you're asking about. Without knowing anything about it, and just going by past experience with other vehicles, I would take a look at the driver side switch. Since it's normally part of an assembly, you often can't replace just one switch in the assembly. If it's a new truck and still under warranty, I'd probably take it in and have it fixed.

OP
OP
D

Digi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ah, sorry. 1500 09 slt.

Really? I guess I was thinking it was the motor or passenger switch since the passenger switch won't open the window either. Is their a connection between the main switch going and the passenger? Could it **** the connection in a way that neither would work?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That's been my experience with a lot of different cars. But it depends on how the circuit is designed. Often the driver side switch for the passenger window and the passenger side switch are in the same circuit. So if one of them is bad neither switch will seem to work. Since you also have an issue with the mirror switch I'd suspect the driver side switch.

OP
OP
D

Digi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cool, thanks, guess I was so focused on it being a passenger side issue I didn't even think it could be the drivers side. Appreciate the reply, have to see if I can find one to swap out.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'd probably see if there is a way to test the switches before buying a new switch assembly. Looks like a new switch assembly is $125 plus shipping from BAM.

Kimjkurt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So this is odd. My main switch drivers side works for every window but the passenger front window. It can unlock the door, but it cannot put the window down or move the mirror. I checked the passenger front door, it also can't move the window down, but it also won't unlock doors. Thought it might be switch, but that doesn't make sense for both master switch and passenger to not work. Checked fuses, everything looks good, last option I can think of is the motor. However, I don't think that handles the power mirror for the window.

Anyone experienced this? Does the motor for power window have something to do with the mirror or is it possible two different issues?

Thanks.
Same thing happened today to my truck, no mirror lights also

OP
OP
D

Digi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update: I still haven't found the issue, replaced main switch, passenger switch, checked fuses. Let it go for a while as I had other things to deal with but now wondering if it's the motor. That seems odd though as the mirror won't work and I don't think that's tied to the window motor.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The motor is easy enough to test. Unplug it from the harness and apply 12 volts to the power terminals. The motor should turn one direction. Reverse the connections and the motor should turn the opposite direction.

As far as the mirror goes, unless you can nail down a common point of failure I'd just troubleshoot one issue at a time.

ibike

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess I’d look for a lost ground on the passenger side.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Have you checked the wires for power with a volt meter. Since you can't move the mirror or window, it sounds as if there could be a power supply problem. Could be a broken wire. Also, and not sure here, but it is possible one power wire feeds the three items (window, lock, mirror) and the the switches just complete the circuit. Check a wiring diagram. Maybe the power feed split is bad such as a broken wire where it passes from inner wall into door.

OP
OP
D

Digi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you checked the wires for power with a volt meter. Since you can't move the mirror or window, it sounds as if there could be a power supply problem. Could be a broken wire. Also, and not sure here, but it is possible one power wire feeds the three items (window, lock, mirror) and the the switches just complete the circuit. Check a wiring diagram. Maybe the power feed split is bad such as a broken wire where it passes from inner wall into door.
I haven't yet, it's odd as the main switch will lock the doors, but no window or mirror for passenger side. Even tried replacing both passenger and driver side switches, nothing. My guess was a fuse, but that seemed a long shot, thinking now a wire somewhere is loose or connection bad.

ibike

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Chrysler/fiat or whatever they call themselves these days are notorious for loose and corroded grounds. Causes a lot of weird crazy problems.