Passive Door Unlock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shockedimpy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hey guys,

I purchased a 2019 Ram Bighorn1500 Blackout Edition with level2 equipment package, LED lighting package, panoramic sunroof, lane assist etc...

But I wanted to know if I have the passive unlock feature? Meaning I can leave key in pocket and just grab handle and u lock...it doesn’t seem to do it and the sales individual mentioned I should have it. Am I missing something or is the key not programmed? Or how would I know otherwise I have it? Maybe I’m missing something.

klodge741

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hey guys,

I purchased a 2019 Ram Bighorn1500 Blackout Edition with level2 equipment package, LED lighting package, panoramic sunroof, lane assist etc...

But I wanted to know if I have the passive unlock feature? Meaning I can leave key in pocket and just grab handle and u lock...it doesn’t seem to do it and the sales individual mentioned I should have it. Am I missing something or is the key not programmed? Or how would I know otherwise I have it? Maybe I’m missing something.
Dose the drivers door have a little button on the handle. If it dose you have it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

foolsh1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Blackout edition,Hemi 5.7 etorque
I am not positive but I think that is on the Laramie and Limited? Like Klodge said do you have a small square push button in the outside grab handle?

klodge741

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wait I don’t have the button..I’m assuming if I HAD the button I’d be good?
Sorry misread that but yes in that case you do not have it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

foolsh1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Blackout edition,Hemi 5.7 etorque
Sorry, it is a nice feature, my key fob barely leave my pocket. But here in Michigan with NO SNOW????? but we have a lot of wet weather the button on the handle sometimes sticks a little, and the other funny thing is you go to a quarter car wash and while you are spraying water at the door and handle all the lights flash like you are entering the truck, because you and the key are close to the door, and the sensor detects the water as your hand? LOL Gonna have to think about this, do not want to leave the key fob in the truck, my luck it will lock me out! Could leave the truck running but there goes the gas? Could ask a fine citizen to hold my key while I am washing my truck? :Big Laugh:

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I saw the feature today with someone else's truck. I'd guess that it's probably nothing more than a handle (for the sensor) and maybe some programming. That would be the hard part (the programming). The handle looked just like mine - with a key hole - except for the little sensor.

Deshantai

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
You don’t have but yes you should. They may have not put it on at manufacture on accident those things happen. I work for Jeep and my supervisor ordered a Wrangler by the time it reached the dealership it didn’t have heated seats. Manufacturing mistake, he got a new one.

MegaRam18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I have the feature on my Longhorn. The downside is that someone can just walk up and open your door when you are sitting in the truck. You can't lock them out. I'm not comfortable with that lack of security if my wife is by herself in the truck.
As much as I like the convenience, I disabled it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

PickUps_321

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
MegaRam18 are you sure about that? usually the sensor understands if the keys are inside or outside the car. One downside of the feature is that FCA cheaped out a little bit and didn't include it in the rear doors. So you cant unlock rear doors by themselves. You have to unlock the front doors (with your hand) and then open the rear. Kind of a pain. my old car (X5) had the sensors (BMW calls it comfort access( on all 4 doors. FCA should have installed the sensors on all 4 doors.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the feature on my Longhorn. The downside is that someone can just walk up and open your door when you are sitting in the truck. You can't lock them out. I'm not comfortable with that lack of security if my wife is by herself in the truck.

If that's true I definitely wouldn't use that feature either.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Not sure if true or not but I disabled mine for the same reason. First thing I thought of with that feature was if in an altercation or near my truck outside someone else could just open the door and jump in.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nobody can walk up and open my door while I sit in it, you can lock your doors while in the truck. Truck knows when fob leaves the truck and message comes up on dash. There's zero security risks with this system. Plus it works perfectly. The facts are a bit muddled here.

MegaRam18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Nobody can walk up and open my door while I sit in it, you can lock your doors while in the truck. Truck knows when fob leaves the truck and message comes up on dash. There's zero security risks with this system. Plus it works perfectly. The facts are a bit muddled here.
Oops. I just tested it again. You're right. I just realized that my wife had a fob in her purse when we tested this feature. :) Great, now I can turn this back on. I love this feature. I'm such an idiot.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Although I haven’t totally tested the theory, I’m pretty sure the truck can tell when the key is either inside or outside the vehicle and that if it’s inside, the passive entry shouldn’t work.

And yes; unless the 5th Gens are different, they should be the same as the late model 4th Gens to where if you don’t have the little square push button on the outside of your front door handles then no, you don’t have the passive entry system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oops. I just tested it again. You're right. I just realized that my wife had a fob in her purse when we tested this feature. :) Great, now I can turn this back on. I love this feature. I'm such an idiot.

Unlike like in your case, unless that person has the other fob in their purse, they can’t just unlock the door from the handle.....[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

As others have said, this is NOT how it works. There are two antennas inside the cab (back wall, under center console) that differ from the antenna in each rear door. Once the cab antennas pick up the fob, the door antennas are told to ignore the fob.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I saw the feature today with someone else's truck. I'd guess that it's probably nothing more than a handle (for the sensor) and maybe some programming. That would be the hard part (the programming). The handle looked just like mine - with a key hole - except for the little sensor.
It’s a little more involved than that. You’ve got the front door handles, five antennas (on the 5th gen, maybe the tailgate handle if someone can confirm?), missing wiring from the body harness, missing wiring from the doors, a different RF Hub, a different WIN module (switch), and finally, programming.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45