Passive entry not working.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tegoby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2013 Laramie Longhorn. Key fob works like it should. Remote start works. Lock and unlock works. What does not work is the passive part of it. Truck will not unlock when I try to open either doors with key fob in hand. Once I unlock it with remote, push start will not work unless I push it with fob. Fob has left vehicle message pops on cluster everytime. Problem started all of a sudden. Replaced both fobs and problem persists. I know there is nothing wrong with key fob. Local dealer is terrible. I really dont want to take the truck there. Can anyone help me? I was thinking of replacing the passive antenna first but I really dont want to just throw parts at it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ICU2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/etorque
Having the same issue. Have pulled the main battery for over an hour and waited for all info to come back the next day. No success. Both remotes have same issue and work flawlessly other than the keyless entry.

Back slider window has developed a seal leak and now dealer is not wanting to cover it under the lifetime mopar warranty. Going to call the warranty company tomorrow.

No signs of moisture on the RF module behind the seat and no traces down the back wall. Haven't checked the antenna but have taken all the seats and covers out and will leave them out for when I take into dealer next week. Would have just purchased a new module but it has to be programmed to the vehicle.

Front air dam also stopped working as well as the climate control. Screen responds and acts like it is working but nothing changes on fans or temp.

So frustrating!

OP
OP
Tegoby

Tegoby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have not yet. I am waiting to get my new taillights before I continuing since diag tree says if I have a bad tail light, it could cause issues with the passive entry system.

OP
OP
Tegoby

Tegoby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, finally got my tail lights in and installed. I have to admit, I was not too positive about the diagnosing tree, but, I tell you what, problem is fixed. All works like its supposed to. Very surprised. Now I just need to fix a loose door handle. Thats a different issue though. Hope this helps whoever is having the same issue.

1atom12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bumping this thread back up. Did any of you fix your passive entry issue? I'm having the same problem with my 2016 I just purchased. Thanks!

OP
OP
Tegoby

Tegoby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did and posted what the problem was. It was my tail lights. Some of the LED's were out.

1atom12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just so I understand, because I did see your post above, a few burned out LEDs in the tail lights will cause passive entry not to work?

Also, what is this diag tree wizardry you speak of?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tegoby

Tegoby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, when you look up diagnosing procedures in programs like Mitchell 1 or AllData they have what I call (because I'm not sure what else to call it) a diagnosing tree. It gives you step by step procedures to come up with repairs concerning a particular problem on vehicles. I went to a good friend of mine thats a wiz in dignosing electrical issues. We went to the diag tree using Mitchell 1 and in this tree is showed that one of the reasons the passive entry is not working could be because one or both of the tail lights are out. I had messages on my dash that my lights were out. Because my truck had factory LED's, not all of them were out. Just enough of them to give me the message. Because it was one of the main steps in this tree, after checking for all else and before throwing parts at it I went ahead and replaced the tail lights. No more dash messages and passive entry works now. I did not throw parts at it hoping something worked. Tail lights was the entire problem.

1atom12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks! I don't have access to any of those programs. Makes sense now. Thanks again!

sbenhoff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L
2013 Laramie Longhorn. Key fob works like it should. Remote start works. Lock and unlock works. What does not work is the passive part of it. Truck will not unlock when I try to open either doors with key fob in hand. Once I unlock it with remote, push start will not work unless I push it with fob. Fob has left vehicle message pops on cluster everytime. Problem started all of a sudden. Replaced both fobs and problem persists. I know there is nothing wrong with key fob. Local dealer is terrible. I really dont want to take the truck there. Can anyone help me? I was thinking of replacing the passive antenna first but I really dont want to just throw parts at it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I have a 2015 Laramie Longhorn and have the exact same issue. I tried to get a "rough" estimate from two dealers on a worse case scenario on getting this fixed and neither one would even talk to me about it. My only option is to let them charge me @$200 to tell me what is wrong and then I can decide if I want to go any further. Unfortunately, they keep the $200 if I decide it is not worth spending that amount of money to fix. The "passive entry" works fine on the passenger door, but just not the driver's side. What did you end up doing for your situation or are you still waiting like myself?

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Did you see post #5 in this thread? Sounds weird but if it works...?

OP
OP
Tegoby

Tegoby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2015 Laramie Longhorn and have the exact same issue. I tried to get a "rough" estimate from two dealers on a worse case scenario on getting this fixed and neither one would even talk to me about it. My only option is to let them charge me @$200 to tell me what is wrong and then I can decide if I want to go any further. Unfortunately, they keep the $200 if I decide it is not worth spending that amount of money to fix. The "passive entry" works fine on the passenger door, but just not the driver's side. What did you end up doing for your situation or are you still waiting like myself?
Drivers door handle has the entry sensor on it an they go bad all the time. They are currently on back order from Chrysler. I would start with that since your passenger side is working. My issue ended up being a few of my factory LED'd tail light being burned out.

OP
OP
Tegoby

Tegoby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have not yet. I am waiting to get my new taillights before I continuing since diag tree says if I have a bad tail light, it could cause issues with the passive entry system.
Its actually called a diagnostic flow chart.