PAYLOAD CAPACITY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Those are good numbers. The 2500 with a Hemi is impressive. With the 3500 srw you will have about the same payload with a cummins but more towing. Those engines are heavy.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
My 2019 1500 had a 1400 pound payload. I quickly realized that I was not going to be comfortable towing with it. Traded for my 2019 2500 with a 3037 pound payload, I've never missed the 1500

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
My 2019 1500 had a 1400 pound payload. I quickly realized that I was not going to be comfortable towing with it. Traded for my 2019 2500 with a 3037 pound payload, I've never missed the 1500
Yep. A 2500 diesel is really a waste of money in most cases. Not bashing the engine. It is a great engine but the payload leaves the 2500 very limited on what it can tow. There is nothing you can legally tow with a 2500 diesel that you can't tow with a 2500 6.4. Exception might be a large boat since boats have lighter tongue weights. Another exception might be extremely high mileage requirements. My son has a 2018 6.4 and already has close to 80,000 miles on it. Another year and that truck won't have much value left. If it were a Cummins he would still have quite a bit of equity in it. The only issue is he has very high idle hours and I heard that the diesel emissions don't like idling? In the winter and on very hot summer days his truck might run 16 hours a day and idle about 10 or 12 of those hours. His truck is basically his office.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Yep. A 2500 diesel is really a waste of money in most cases. Not bashing the engine. It is a great engine but the payload leaves the 2500 very limited on what it can tow. There is nothing you can legally tow with a 2500 diesel that you can't tow with a 2500 6.4. Exception might be a large boat since boats have lighter tongue weights. Another exception might be extremely high mileage requirements. My son has a 2018 6.4 and already has close to 80,000 miles on it. Another year and that truck won't have much value left. If it were a Cummins he would still have quite a bit of equity in it. The only issue is he has very high idle hours and I heard that the diesel emissions don't like idling? In the winter and on very hot summer days his truck might run 16 hours a day and idle about 10 or 12 of those hours. His truck is basically his office.

1 hours of idling equals 25 of driving. He should use hours for his maintenance intervals.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
He already gets his oil changed about every 4-6 weeks...lol.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Modern diesels don't care about idling much - the old timey pump-line-nozzle diesels did, as their fuel injection pressures were too low to prevent wet stacking of the piston rings and oil dilution.

Modern diesels don't have that problem with their super high injection pressures. I confirmed this with Cummins development engineers, because we had to know how to write generator service manuals for the new engines.

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You need to be extremely careful about this if you require a specific payload. I was looking for a truck to replace my SUV because I wanted to purchase a Travel Trailer. A 2500 or larger model wasn't in the cards for me because they simply were too large height-wise to fit into my garage. So, I went to the Towing Capacity page on the RAM website and looked up the RAM 1500 Limited. Here's was it said:

upload_2021-3-1_12-46-32.png

1790 lbs was more than enough payload for the trailer that I wanted. Now, keep in mind that the Limited comes loaded with most options standard. So, naturally, I thought that this was figured into in the above payload. The only extra options I had were the MFT, the sunroof, and these:

upload_2021-3-1_12-31-6.png

Except for the MFT and sunroof, the rest were options that didn't seem to add a lot of weight. Mostly electronics and color changes.

When it came down to making a deal, I had only an hour or so to decide on the 2021 Limited I found because someone else was just about to put a deposit on it and the deal was just too good to pass up. So, I failed to look up the actual payload via the VIN. I was figuring a couple of hundred pounds more or less.

Well, I was wrong, it was 634 lbs less, bringing the payload down from 1790 lbs to only 1156 lbs. Now I'm having problems finding a travel trailer in that payload range.

Lesson learned. Don't make the same mistake. Always check the payload via the VIN before you buy.

Last edited:

j_t_l

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
FWIW: When I was looking at optioning a new truck, I figured out approximately how much a few options weigh on a 2019 2500:

ram boxes 166
limited trim 166
Level 1 90
safety 50
sunroof 70
anti-spin 16
offroad 119

That is: say you find 2 identical trucks, but one has ram boxes and the other doesn't -- the payload should be about 166lbs less on the one with ram boxes.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
You need to be extremely careful about this if you require a specific payload. I was looking for a truck to replace my SUV because I wanted to purchase a Travel Trailer. A 2500 or larger model wasn't in the cards for me because they simply were too large height-wise to fit into my garage. So, I went to the Towing Capacity page on the RAM website and looked up the RAM 1500 Limited. Here's was it said:

View attachment 239563

1790 lbs was more than enough payload for the trailer that I wanted. Now, keep in mind that the Limited comes loaded with most options standard. So, naturally, I thought that this was figured into in the above payload. The only extra options I had were the MFT, the sunroof, and these:

View attachment 239561

Except for the MFT and sunroof, the rest were options that didn't seem to add a lot of weight. Mostly electronics and color changes.

When it came down to making a deal, I had only an hour or so to decide on the 2021 Limited I found because someone else was just about to put a deposit on it and the deal was just too good to pass up. So, I failed to look up the actual payload via the VIN. I was figuring a couple of hundred pounds more or less.

Well, I was wrong, it was 634 lbs less, bringing the payload down from 1790 lbs to only 1156 lbs. Now I'm having problems finding a travel trailer in that payload range.

Lesson learned. Don't make the same mistake. Always check the payload via the VIN before you buy.

you surely wont get that 1790# they show. find one for sale with as close to the same equipment as you can and run the vin thru the ram towing website and as you found out, you will get a number in the 11-1300's. at least Ram has a place where you can get the exact number. try figuring out the actual cargo cap on a chevy or gmc..

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
you surely wont get that 1790# they show. find one for sale with as close to the same equipment as you can and run the vin thru the ram towing website and as you found out, you will get a number in the 11-1300's. at least Ram has a place where you can get the exact number. try figuring out the actual cargo cap on a chevy or gmc..
I call the dealer and ask for pictures of the door jamb sticker, seriously.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45