Pcv hose reroute to fresh air.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The whole reason for the PCV is to keep the combustion chamber oil vapors from being dumped onto the roadways & swirling into the air.
Back then between the tire tracks, cement roads would be a nasty black, vehicles still drip oil onto the highway, if you drive on a concrete road & it has a bump in it, look at the road just after that bump, it will be blackish

All engines have a combustion chamber, in that chamber pressure & heat build up & that pressure needs to be relieved, originally on the side of 6 cylinder engines & the rear of a 8 cylinder engine, they used to have a Road Draft Tube,

This video beginning around the 10 minute point, this gent is converting his 6 cylinder Chevy truck over to a PVC system, he has to remove the Road Draft Tube & does a fair job of explaining everything

I don't know about you, but that video brings back many fond memories :)

JustaTradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Finished my pcv output routing.
Had the vacuum pipe welded into my exhaust.
Finished connecting the tube from the pcv output to this vacuum pipe.
Seems like I can hear the pcv valve tapping open and close with the engine rpm's.
This kind of tells me the system is working, and I have a vacuum pulling gases from the crankcase.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Finished my pcv output routing.
Had the vacuum pipe welded into my exhaust.
Finished connecting the tube from the pcv output to this vacuum pipe.
Seems like I can hear the pcv valve tapping open and close with the engine rpm's.
This kind of tells me the system is working, and I have a vacuum pulling gases from the crankcase.
That only works properly if you're running open headers,mufflers tend to screw that style of PCV system up a bit

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
For anyone that reads this thread someday who has a supercharger or turbo and doesn't take into account setting up not only a proper PCV system but just a good way to let the engine breath, get a vacuum on the engine and let it operate effectively, blowby will rapidly degrade your engine, you'll get oil leaks, and could compromise your main seals. You will also lose horsepower at some point in your boost curve. If you set it up right, with our low tension rings that have also been opened up a bit for a power-adder setup, you HAVE to do this right. It makes a huge difference in the long run. In my experience these supercharger bolt on companies are not accounting for this properly. Call mighty-mouse, they have in my opinion the best setup, most options, and will talk to you on the phone...

metalchewy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
4.7L
All I can do is shake my head... stupid is as stupid as possible. Next up a youtube video to get 100 other dumb ***** todo the same.

metalchewy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
4.7L
A few things can happen here. Cat clogged. Truck wont run... .. or Cat gone ? Ok, Oil gathers in the muffler. Eventually fills up, drips out tailpipe, Or it lights up and burns the truck down on the freeway. Think a bit more...