PCV valve replacement. 3.6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stenerson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 VVT
I bought a replacement for this 3.6 but man, that thing is hard to access. I'm assuming I'll have to do it blind and by feel. Has anyone here replaced it? Any tips appreciated.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Don't those screw in? Is there two screw holes on your new pcv?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Right angle screw driver, ratcheting driver, socket with phillips extension make it easy or even bendable driver will get those screws out.

OP
OP
stenerson

stenerson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 VVT
Don't those screw in? Is there two screw holes on your new pcv?
Access in these trucks (the v6) is pretty tight and can't see what I'm doing. It's at back of engine very close to firewall. Will have to do it by feel. maybe squeeze a mirror back there for some visibility.

Last edited:
OP
OP
stenerson

stenerson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 VVT
Right angle screw driver, ratcheting driver, socket with phillips extension make it easy or even bendable driver will get those screws out.

Thanks. I just bought a Mini Ratchet Wrench Screwdriver Bit Set (low profile). The screws for the PCV valve are T 25. Will give it a shot this weekend when I got time. Thanks.

OP
OP
stenerson

stenerson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 VVT
How do you make out. I'm doing it this weekend. It's pretty tight back there , hard to see and reach.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What do I owe nearly all of my dyi jobs too? Youtube, even ram forum members who post dyi on youtube. That is all I got, gl. If that girl can do it, you can do it.

MSDelta

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Etorque
I looked at mine today to see how I would attack it. I think I am going to remove it from under the truck. Lots more room and able to see better. There is a wiring harness attached to the flange on the pcv valve that needs to be moved out of the way to access the bottom torx screw.The hose needs to be removed to access the top torx screw. I have a couple of small ratcheting bit drivers that should clear the firewall. Please comment on your success and any tips.

OP
OP
stenerson

stenerson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 VVT
Finally got around to changing the PCV on my 3.6... Like MSDelta mentioned, it's easier to get the bottom screw and remove the harness from the bottom of the truck. I didn't even need to raise it.
Removing the hose was a lot easier from below the truck using a pry bar.

[52800944874_15ed15596b.jpg

KPMH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Finally got around to changing the PCV on my 3.6... Like MSDelta mentioned, it's easier to get the bottom screw and remove the harness from the bottom of the truck. I didn't even need to raise it.
Removing the hose was a lot easier from below the truck using a pry bar.

[View attachment 518218

Damn, I just changed the PCV on my 5.7 Hemi and thought that was a PITA. Had to remove the Air Intake and engine cover and but then the PCV was easily accessed and changed. Ours just screw in and out by hand/pliers. Easy as pie, really. Nowhere near as complicated as yours.

Good job, Pete

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Access in these trucks (the v6) is pretty tight and can't see what I'm doing. It's at back of engine very close to firewall. Will have to do it by feel. maybe squeeze a mirror back there for some visibility.
Super handy cheap tool to get things done by "feel" is one of these that plugs into your phone. You can put the phone where you can see it, position the scope, and watch your hands on screen to get on target.

USB Endoscope for OTG Android... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PBF6DX5?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

MSDelta

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Etorque
Hey, I started a new thread about this, but realized I should have posted it here:

So, intermittently I would smell something burning and would notice a little puff of white smoke coming from under the hood. I looked around and saw that oil was leaking around my PCV valve.

I had this on my list of maintenance as my truck has almost 90K miles on it, but had been dreading it as it’s so hard to get to. I wanted to post my experience to hopefully help others.

First, it’s ridiculous where they placed it, and also that the part is $40+ from the parts houses. OEM is $80+ online!

Anyway, it really wasn’t as hard as I was expecting and took me under an hour. First off, I would recommend having a good rechargeable light with a magnetic base. You will also need a small ratcheting bit driver with a T25 bit to remove the PCV valve. There are two screws, one at the top, and one on the bottom. I disconnected the snorkel hose from the intake and then removed the top of the air cleaner as one unit to give me more top access.

You cannot remove the top screw without first disconnecting the hose from the top of the PCV valve. In my case, this was actually the hardest part as mine was pretty stuck and you cannot get good leverage on it. This is where your light comes in handy. I had to push on the boot from under the truck with a very long flathead screwdriver to get it free. There are also some wires in a loom attached to the bottom of the valve that you need to detach by moving the attachment from left to right as you are facing the valve from under the truck. While under the truck I removed the bottom T25 with my mini bit ratchet.

Next I removed the top T25 with the mini ratchet and was glad that I had removed the snorkel as it gave me more room. You have to remove this one blind. Just take your time and you will get it. Then the old valve will come out. As I expected, the oring seal was deformed which was allowing oil to leak out and drop on the exhaust creating the burning smell and smoke.

My replacement part was a Dorman, which thankfully came with 8mm bolts to replace the T25’s. This allowed me to use my small 1/4” drive ratchet to reinstall. Simply push the new PCV in place and rotate it clockwise until it stops with the hose connector facing up and the bolt holes should line up. I don’t have magnetic sockets, so I used a little bit of electric tape to tape the bolts to my socket. This allowed me to start the bolts in with my fingers to insure no cross threading. Then I just snugged them up and worked from the top and bottom to final tightening. While under the bottom, be sure to reattach the wire loom to the bottom of the PCV valve. Push the hose boot back on, reattach the snorkel and air filter cover and you’re done!

Sorry this is so long, but hopefully it will help others and give you confidence to tackle this. I am sure others can probably also contribute tips and tricks that I didn’t think of!