Peddle Camamder threw check engen light and truck is in limp mode need HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Entersandram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have any of you running a Pedle Comander had it to throw a check engine light and put the truck into limp mode? I set mine on sport plus today for the first time and wjen i was going back to my normal sett Kiajng of city +3, it went into limp mode and check engine light is on. The PC is Bluetooth model but I think I was still under acceleration when I changed the settings. What do I need to do to remove check engine light and limp mode now? Thanks in advance for any help given.....

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i wonder if you just put a code reader on it and cleared the check engine light if it would revert to stock. or pull the batttery cable for 30 seconds?

OP
OP
Entersandram

Entersandram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, that's what I am doing now. I unplugged the PC and took the neg off of the battery. It's been sitting that way for about an hour now. Don't know much else to try.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
From a Mopar tech online:

The limp home mode helps protect your transmission if damage is detected. Limp home mode limits the transmission to only second gear, which keeps your vehicle safer, while also giving you enough power to get to a dealer. If you know that the transmission issue was temporary, then you can reset the limp home mode by following these steps.

1. Bring your car to a complete stop.

2. Shift your automatic transmission into PARK.

3. Turn the ignition switch to OFF.

4. Wait 10 seconds.

5. Turn your vehicle back on.

6. Select the gear of your choice.
If your vehicle will shift into the gear you chose, then you can continue to drive your vehicle as normal. If the car is still stuck in second gear, then you like have a transmission problem that should be addressed immediately.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When the Pedal Commander settings changes cause a code to be thrown, it says “Service Electronic Throttle” in big bold letters in the EVIC, even on the base EVIC. Mine threw one code when I was pulling out of my driveway in the snow and went from Sport to Eco because of snow/ice. Turned key off, plugged my code reader in, cleared code and drove away. No further issues. Lesson I learned was do not change the settings while under any input on accelerator. Just my experience. Didnt move it far enough to notice if it went into Limp Home mode, since I just reversed 50ft after code.
Hope that this is all tbe OP will have to deal with too.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
When the Pedal Commander settings changes cause a code to be thrown, it says “Service Electronic Throttle” in big bold letters in the EVIC, even on the base EVIC. Mine threw one code when I was pulling out of my driveway in the snow and went from Sport to Eco because of snow/ice. Turned key off, plugged my code reader in, cleared code and drove away. No further issues. Lesson I learned was do not change the settings while under any input on accelerator. Just my experience. Didnt move it far enough to notice if it went into Limp Home mode, since I just reversed 50ft after code.
Hope that this is all tbe OP will have to deal with too.

Yeah, my antenna went up too when he said he changed it while driving. I thought, the truck probably doesn't see that as a normal thing;)

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Always change your settings while stopped and idling, I either do it while parked or while stopped at the next red light and I’ve never had an issue.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Sorry but having a vehicle that stays in 2nd gear is dangerous. My stock truck has gone into limp mode and my speed was limited to 55 mph and try merging with freeway traffic at an on ramp at that speed or being unable to go over a lane when other vehicles are coming onto the freeway. In many areas the only roads are on freeways and so one has to be in a hazardous situation or call a tow truck and pay for an expensive tow.

The Pedal Commander obviously had some serious programming issues. I can't see paying to downgrade the reliability of my truck.

Sample review on Amazon - "Had the pedal commander installed on my 2018 Ram 1500 Sport (2 months old, 2k miles) and blew out my PCM. Dealership said it was likely caused by the pedal commander."

That would be an expensive repair and not covered by the warranty and that is added to the cost of the Pedal Commander. But at least it did not result in an accident and injuries.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Installs throttle input booster that is simply a plug/receptacle connected to a switch(gas pedal), blows PCM?

Idiots shouldn't modify things nor be allowed to write reviews, dealerships and mechanics included.

This is a 5-10 minute install depending on how well you clean up the wiring, take the extra minute to disconnect your battery before installing people. The '15+ trucks shouldn't be adjusted on the fly, ideally not running but certainly do not have any throttle input or you'll have issues.

Last edited:

Micah12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pedal Commander customer service said this happens all the time to folks who don't wait for the dome light to turn off, will have issues with install.

When uninstalling, follow the same instructions as install, open door, wait for dome to go off, then begin install/de-install

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Unbelievable!!!!!! You mean this is one of those parts that your suppose to read the instructions BEFORE you install instead of AFTER you install it. Sounds counter-intuitive to me. :D
Jay