Peformance chips ? - Good or bad.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

selkov

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I have read that even if a chip or eprom or controller [whatever its called] actually worked the onboard cpu would in time recognize the variance and over write the initial benefits.

I read boasts of plug in and gain 60 HP and 6 MPG. And I am all for that. if it works.

What is your experience with them?

KWG88ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I have read that even if a chip or eprom or controller [whatever its called] actually worked the onboard cpu would in time recognize the variance and over write the initial benefits.

I read boasts of plug in and gain 60 HP and 6 MPG. And I am all for that. if it works.

What is your experience with them?

Haha you’re not getting 60hp. Diablo is only legit option and it’s minimal gains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Forget about chips...that's so 80's tech.

Today's programmers do a much better job of actually providing some improvements. Not 60 HP or 6MPG but definitely some improvements.

I'd recommend a Diablosport programmer and a custom tune along with a cold air intake and freer flowing exhaust. Together they make for a great package and represent the best bang for the buck performance mods you can start out with.

Khalil1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
V6
Forget about chips...that's so 80's tech.

Today's programmers do a much better job of actually providing some improvements. Not 60 HP or 6MPG but definitely some improvements.

I'd recommend a Diablosport programmer and a custom tune along with a cold air intake and freer flowing exhaust. Together they make for a great package and represent the best bang for the buck performance mods you can start out with.

But the diablosport does not support the 3.6L V6 16-18 Ram 1500 and 19-20 Ram 1500 Classic.

In fact, I don't believe there is a tune out there that fits this model.

The only thing I found online is this "Jet Chip" and I dont even know what will be the gains from this, and I never heard of anyone using it before.
https://jetchip.com/shop/chips-modules-programmers/performance-module/dodgejeep-module-stage-1-47/

KWG88ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
But the diablosport does not support the 3.6L V6 16-18 Ram 1500 and 19-20 Ram 1500 Classic.

In fact, I don't believe there is a tune out there that fits this model.

The only thing I found online is this "Jet Chip" and I dont even know what will be the gains from this, and I never heard of anyone using it before.
https://jetchip.com/shop/chips-modules-programmers/performance-module/dodgejeep-module-stage-1-47/

Huh.

https://www.diablosport.com/news/2015-2016-ram-1500-v6-5-7l-2015-ram-25003500-6-4l/

They def have options. Modified PCM/Tunes comes in both RIPP and Sprintek supercharger packages.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Single digit power gains and worse MPG. That’s been my experience. Some improved throttle response.

Most of the perception of power gain is a result of remapping the throttle. They’ll give you more throttle opening with less pedal. Which fools you into feeling like there’s more power than there is. Put it on a dyno or a track and it’s not there.

KWG88ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Single digit power gains and worse MPG. That’s been my experience. Some improved throttle response.

Most of the perception of power gain is a result of remapping the throttle. They’ll give you more throttle opening with less pedal. Which fools you into feeling like there’s more power than there is. Put it on a dyno or a track and it’s not there.

Probably. I don’t see much need for a tune unless the motor is boosted to be honest.

Khalil1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
V6

Thanks for the info.
That sounds exactly like the pedal commander I have, which is way cheaper and is actually intended to increase only the throttle response without any power gains as they advertised.

Khalil1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
V6
Huh.

https://www.diablosport.com/news/2015-2016-ram-1500-v6-5-7l-2015-ram-25003500-6-4l/

They def have options. Modified PCM/Tunes comes in both RIPP and Sprintek supercharger packages.

Well, the link you shared mentions that it fits the 2015-2016 models.

Also if you check thier website for products compatable with our models, you will find out that last year they have supported the 3.6 V6 was 2016 and after that they stopped.

https://www.diablosport.com/shop/v/dodge-ram/ram-1500/2018/
upload_2020-7-28_14-44-35.png

upload_2020-7-28_14-45-0.png

upload_2020-7-28_14-45-28.png

SRLMARK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 v6
You have to get an unlocked pcm for the 17 up models I believe. That is why it says it isn't supported online. Read the sprintex website and it tells you that!

KWG88ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You have to get an unlocked pcm for the 17 up models I believe. That is why it says it isn't supported online. Read the sprintex website and it tells you that!

Yup, this is right

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It really depends on what you want your vehicle to do when you look at modifications. Just jumping to a solution that has not been matched to a "problem" seldom leads to the best results.

My experience with friends that did it all; building engines, drag racing, etc. was to look at the basics first. The most basic is reducing the energy needed to overcome the inertia of the vehicle. so look for areas where you can reduce the weight of the vehicle, and also look for things to do to get air flow going past it better.

An engine is essentially ab air pump. Focus on moving that air as efficiently as possible, which is a straight line. Once you straighten out the intake and exhaust, you can then start looking at other things.but again it really depends on what you want. If getting off the line quick but not worried about top end speed, that is one set of upgrades. If you're looking for more top end speed but not as worried about how fast you get there that's another. If you want better fuel mileage, that's another set of upgrades. I ran a 6 cylinder in one of my Rams and was very happy with the performance. I did a few things including putting a smooth front bumper on, redirected air with a lower valence, put a cat-back exhaust on and a better straighter intake, and made sure I wasn't lugging around hitches and other things that I didn't need. Never tuned the engine but made sure I always kept the air filter clean and just general maintenance.

Good luck

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
A voice from the past 30+ years: “Except a blower”

It's the same old **** from years ago---people built up 6 cylinder cars and trucks that couldn't keep up with a strong-running V8. Why bother? I love my V6 truck, but if I really wanted to go fast, I'd get a Hemi. And you can turbo- or super-charge the Hemi too, but that is not cheap (by looking in my wallet, that is, IMHO).