Pentastar vs Hemi Exhaust Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KCJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I've read several places the best exhaust option for the Pentastar (from the standpoint of sound) is a factory dual exhaust take-off from a Hemi model. Can't seem to locate any locally, so wondering if a cat-back system that fits a Hemi model, would also work for the Pentastar? Factory take-off, I would assume, would be priced much better......but just wondering in case my patience shrinks in the near future.

Thanks!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I've read several places the best exhaust option for the Pentastar (from the standpoint of sound) is a factory dual exhaust take-off from a Hemi model. Can't seem to locate any locally, so wondering if a cat-back system that fits a Hemi model, would also work for the Pentastar? Factory take-off, I would assume, would be priced much better......but just wondering in case my patience shrinks in the near future.

Thanks!
It "should" work...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Irishguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I just bought all the parts to do this swap, but I haven't actually done it yet. I got the following:

1. Hemi exhaust bought from a guy on Facebook for $100
2. Rear bumper with cut outs. New from ebay $298 icluding shipping.
3. Pre-Muffler Resonator & Pipe Hanger Part # 52122572AA from eBay $11
4. Bolt for item 3 Part Part # 6104390AA from eBay $6
5. Rubber isolator for item 3 Part # 52103717AB from eBay $15
6. Rubber isolator for left rear pipe hanger Part # 52103718AB from eBay $16

I hope to get it all on there next week. I wanted the dual exhaust with the bumper cut outs, because I mainly like the look of it. I didn't really want the truck to be any louder. The whole installation looks pretty straight forward. I'm spraying all the bolts with PB Blaster a day ahead of time and I have a cordless impact wrench, so hopefully it will all go pretty smooth. I was fortunate to find an exhaust that looks like new for cheap.

Keep looking on Facebook and Craigslist and you will find one. I think it's a pretty common swap for guys with Hemis to get a louder exhaust. You may have to travel. I drove to Macon, Ga., over two hours away to pick mine up, but for $100 it was worth it.

So about $450 for the whole swap out. Maybe I can recoup a little of my money selling the factory V6 exhaust with 35k on it...

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I just bought all the parts to do this swap, but I haven't actually done it yet. I got the following:

1. Hemi exhaust bought from a guy on Facebook for $100
2. Rear bumper with cut outs. New from ebay $298 icluding shipping.
3. Pre-Muffler Resonator & Pipe Hanger Part # 52122572AA from eBay $11
4. Bolt for item 3 Part Part # 6104390AA from eBay $6
5. Rubber isolator for item 3 Part # 52103717AB from eBay $15
6. Rubber isolator for left rear pipe hanger Part # 52103718AB from eBay $16

I hope to get it all on there next week. I wanted the dual exhaust with the bumper cut outs, because I mainly like the look of it. I didn't really want the truck to be any louder. The whole installation looks pretty straight forward. I'm spraying all the bolts with PB Blaster a day ahead of time and I have a cordless impact wrench, so hopefully it will all go pretty smooth. I was fortunate to find an exhaust that looks like new for cheap.

Keep looking on Facebook and Craigslist and you will find one. I think it's a pretty common swap for guys with Hemis to get a louder exhaust. You may have to travel. I drove to Macon, Ga., over two hours away to pick mine up, but for $100 it was worth it.

So about $450 for the whole swap out. Maybe I can recoup a little of my money selling the factory V6 exhaust with 35k on it...
And your bumper, I think I made money on the bumper swap...

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yeah... Forgot about that. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will all come out in the wash and I'll break even. :-D
Yep! And the good thing is is that you don't need a dual cutout bumper to start the swap. The factory dual exhaust has adjustable tips to allow for install on either bumper type.

Irishguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I thought I would update this thread. Saturday, I decided to go ahead and knock this out, and it worked out great. All in all it took about 3 hours. I could have done it in a lot less time, but I had a hell of a time separating the original muffler from the front pipe. It was seized on there. The other hiccup was the new exhaust hanger just in front of the spare tire on the driver's side. The bolt that is on top of the frame cross member did not want to tighten. I don't know if the threads in the frame are rusted, or FCA has the wrong bolt part number. Either way I just gave up on that one hanger and haven't noticed any need for it after driving around with it not installed. The exhaust seems plenty firmly mounted as is.

I didn't do myself any favors by installing this in the gravel driveway at our mountain cabin on a piece of cardboard. If I hadn't had those two issues, I probably could have had the exhaust and bumper installed in under 2 hours. Still... A pretty easy job and it looks and sounds great.

I've had plenty of V6 Rangers, Frontiers and Tacomas. I've never swapped the exhausts on any of them, but living in the redneck lands of Alabama, I have seen and heard many with dual exhausts and almost all of them sound like an over worked V6 trying to be something that it is not. This is not the case with this swap.

The Pentastar 3.6 with the Hemi dual swap sounds like no other V6 I have ever heard. The sound can best be described as "Sporty". It's not loud, but it has a nice low key growl to it. I think what makes it sound so good for a V6 is the 8 speed transmission always seems to have the engine in the perfect spot on the torque curve, so the engine never seems to be in labor and the RPM's are always in a nice range for making music.

51244177168_fcb42a847f_3k.jpg

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I thought I would update this thread. Saturday, I decided to go ahead and knock this out, and it worked out great. All in all it took about 3 hours. I could have done it in a lot less time, but I had a hell of a time separating the original muffler from the front pipe. It was seized on there. The other hiccup was the new exhaust hanger just in front of the spare tire on the driver's side. The bolt that is on top of the frame cross member did not want to tighten. I don't know if the threads in the frame are rusted, or FCA has the wrong bolt part number. Either way I just gave up on that one hanger and haven't noticed any need for it after driving around with it not installed. The exhaust seems plenty firmly mounted as is.

I didn't do myself any favors by installing this in the gravel driveway at our mountain cabin on a piece of cardboard. If I hadn't had those two issues, I probably could have had the exhaust and bumper installed in under 2 hours. Still... A pretty easy job and it looks and sounds great.

I've had plenty of V6 Rangers, Frontiers and Tacomas. I've never swapped the exhausts on any of them, but living in the redneck lands of Alabama, I have seen and heard many with dual exhausts and almost all of them sound like an over worked V6 trying to be something that it is not. This is not the case with this swap.

The Pentastar 3.6 with the Hemi dual swap sounds like no other V6 I have ever heard. The sound can best be described as "Sporty". It's not loud, but it has a nice low key growl to it. I think what makes it sound so good for a V6 is the 8 speed transmission always seems to have the engine in the perfect spot on the torque curve, so the engine never seems to be in labor and the RPM's are always in a nice range for making music.

51244177168_fcb42a847f_3k.jpg
I'd describe the sound the same too and I feel your pain on installing in a gravel driveway. I've had mine on for 5 years without the additional hanger so you should be good.

It seems like it would be too difficult for one man without a lift but its a surprisingly easy job on a nice day!