Pentastar vs Hemi, which should you choose?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd likely get a used one. New is too expensive. I'm not looking now, and may not get another either.
Well, if U decide U betta get it before they bury the 5.7...

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, if U decide U betta get it before they bury the 5.7...
I'd likely get a pre-owned Ram because the new ones are ridiculously priced. But I also think the Hurricane I6 sounds intriguing. But it won't have that V8 rumble that my Challenger has.

My 2007 Ram Hemi is quiet. No rumble, never put on an exhaust on it.

ramsare4real

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Both are excellent options. If you need more HP, get Hemi.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Took the rental to Mojave National Preserve. Spent a lot of time on the trail roads. It did fine on Mojave Rd and Aiken Mine Rd. Lava Tubes Rd has some deeper sand and the motor got hot. Not enough to be problematic but top end of normal and you could smell it.

I often find myself checking if I've manually selected a gear since RPM is higher than I'm used to, as is the buzzy sound.

Still, perfectly adequate unless you need to pass quickly. Got stuck behind semis on some 2 lanes I could have gotten around safely with more motor.

smittyd174

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just bought my my 4 th Ram . 1st one was an 08 with 5.7 and 3.55 gears , thought it was a race car . 2nd one was a 2010 , 5.7 with 3.92 gears , holy crap it was an animal especially with the consol shifter and you could bang it through the gears . 3rd one was a 3500 HO Cummins . 385 hp and 900 ft lbs of torque , well it was kinda boring , put the hammer down , no roaring engine no neck snapping but when you checked your speedometer it was long before you were well past the speed limit . Just no joy getting there . Now I just got number 4 . It's a 2022 , 1500 Classic Warlock with the 3.92 axle and the 8 speed Trans. For a full size truck , holy crap this thing is nuts . I don't drive like a madman but every once in awhile you gotta drive it like you stole it and of for proper break in of coarse .
Out of the 4 this is the most refined , ride , the electric power steering is amazing and the transmission shifts seamless . Not crazy about the shift knob but getting used to it .
I wanted 3.92 to maximize my options for towing and figured there would be very little difference in fuel economy vs 3.21. Besides the word Hemi and fuel economy don't really go hand in hand . It is what it is and if you drive senseable fuel mileage isn't bad it's a truck not a 4 cyl. puddle jumper.

OP
OP
H

Huliodude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
As the OP, I thought I'd update this thread as a few things have happened and opinions change with a different perspective.

If you read the original post, I raved about the V6 Pentastar motor, but overall decided I liked the Hemi motor better. I bought the Hemi Ram in December of 2021, and then gas prices officially went through the roof the following months after that. I said the V8 burns about 10% more fuel than the V6, but I learned over a longer period that it's actually more than that, maybe not as high as 15% more, but definitely more than 10%, especially in city driving. I quickly got tired of $200 fill ups, and decided as a person who does not actually need a truck, I could do without one and save a lot gas. So I walked into a Honda dealer, and traded my 2021 Hemi Ram 1500 Classic with only 9000km for a new 2022 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport. I lost only $1800 on the truck, and I drove it for around 6 months, so I figured it was a fair trade. The new Accord was nearly $10k less than the truck, so the lower car payment was welcome as well. Besides, I'd make that $1800 back in no time with fuel savings, right?

The following is a mini-review of the Accord 2.0T. If you're not interested, just skip the next 4 paragraphs. The Accord 2.0T is an awesome car for the money. It's stupid fast, considering we're talking about an economy mid-size sedan. They run around 14.0 @ 100mph bone stock. They also have Honda's 10 speed auto which offers great acceleration and low rpm cruise as well. First thing I noticed on the test drive was that the suspension was fantastic. It's very firm, but somehow very compliant, and never harsh, despite running on low profile 19" wheels. For a front wheel drive car, I was blown away by the driving dynamics of the car. If you roll on the throttle vs just mashing the pedal, turbo lag is basically non-existent and it pulls very hard. I also noticed it had probably the worst sounding stock radio I've ever heard since the days of my '90 Mustang, and this was with the upgraded 10 speaker 480watt system with a subwoofer in the rear deck. I figured I'd get used to it and drive on. So I took the car home, and the honeymoon began. What a difference from the RAM. Funny enough, after owning it for a few days, I was lined up at a red light with a Hemi Classic RAM to my left, and my lane was ending in a few hundred meters. Light turned green and I had planned to just hit the throttle hard enough to just get in front of the truck, as I'm not interested in racing at my age. However, that lady rolled out a few feet and full on punched the throttle on that Hemi. I slowly rolled on the throttle so I wouldn't lose traction, and handily got in front of the RAM in short order, used my signal light and switched lanes in front. At that moment, I felt like trading the truck for the Accord was the best decision I had ever made. This car is quick, it stops fast, it handles, it turns, it pulls like crazy on the highway, has awesome LED headlights, and I was averaging 8.2L / 100km. What's not to like?

After the honeymoon phase, I started to notice a few things I wasn't enamoured with. The biggest one was the driver's seat. It's extremely narrow. I'm 5ft 10" and weigh 175lbs, and yet I couldn't fit my hips between the side bolsters. After driving for 40 minutes, the side bolsters would be pushing on the sides of my thighs and pain would set in. I found myself squirming in my seat a lot, changing position and trying to alleviate the pressure on my thighs. Also, I could just not get comfortable in the car. Even though it had a telescoping steering wheel and the RAM did not, it was still too high and too far away. I could not rest my arms on the armrests and hold the steering wheel at the same time, it was just too far away. The only semi-comfortable position was hanging my right arm at 10am on the steering wheel, and I could only do that for so long before I needed to change positions, and there weren't any other comfortable positions! I never thought a car with power adjustable seats and fully adjustable steering wheel had no comfortable position for the average size guy. I started to dread driving it when I new I had a drive over 40 minutes long.

Secondly, the road noise was pretty major in this car. I know it's an Accord and not a Mercedes and I probably could have dealt with it. I couldn't help remember how quiet the RAM was. But I was going to live with that. Small price to pay for the awesome fuel savings.

And that factory upgraded stereo, what junk. I'm not sure how Honda made all music sources sound like AM radio, but they did it. I ran some tests on it and the bass roll off was terrible, and many frequencies were just missing. I looked into what would be involved in upgrading the speakers and adding a subwoofer in the trunk to try to get some decent sound out of it. I learned that this car has an active noise cancelling system, and it would need to be disconnected in order for the stereo to cooperate with an upgraded subwoofer. I wonder what road noise would be like after I disconnected this gizmo? I shuddered at the thought.

- End of Accord mini-review.

Lastly, I kept running into situations where a truck would have been perfect. It's funny how you think you don't need a truck, but run into many situations where you could use one when you don't have it anymore. After you get used to having one, it's hard to do without. You really feel like you're missing out on something that truly makes life easier. So after just 5 months, I was on Auto Trader eyeing pick up trucks again. How insane is that? 3 new vehicles in 11 months?? My wife is going to divorce me.

I won't get into all the trucks I test drove, but I did come very close to buying a 2021 F150 with the 2.7T Ecoboost and 301A package. I wasn't too happy with the price, or the fact that it had 2 owners in just 1yr, or the fact that it was used. At this point in my life, I'm really preferring to drive a brand new vehicle. I didn't like the rear leaf spring suspension either, finding it very bouncy and truck like. It's a amazing how a Classic RAM has a ride that blows away even the latest Ford offering. I love that it's aluminum however, light and good on gas, and won't rot away as quickly as a steel truck.

I'm not sure what's going on in other parts of North America, but here in Ontario Canada, there are tons of Rams on the dealer lots. I mean TONS. One dealer here has over 400 of them sitting on the lot waiting to be bought and driven away. Any other car brand, you need to wait months for a car or truck. This really worked to my benefit. When I walked into a RAM dealer, they were all but drooling over my Accord, knowing you have to wait months to buy one. I paid MSRP for it, drove it for 6 months and 15,000km, and the dealer offered me full MSRP for it, without any negotiation on my part. They are also dying to unload their hundreds of Rams on the lot. The Ram I ultimately traded for was sitting on their lot for 7 months, and they had 7 others optioned exactly the same.

So, remembering what gas prices had done earlier this year and how much I enjoyed the V6, that was what I was focusing on. The Hemi had power, but it was still a slow vehicle compared to any sporty car (like an Accord 2.0T for example), they don't turn, they don't handle, they don't stop, and they're thirsty. I don't tow, and only haul occasionally. Also I have to admit, I hated the NVH caused by the MDS system, but the truck was pretty thirsty so I would never turn it off! It was a no brainer decision as far as choosing the V6 for my needs. I looked at the 5th gen Ram, but I'm not a fan of etorque, the 5th gen won't fit in my garage, and they're still pretty spendy when compared to a 4th Gen Classic.

So I picked up a new 4th Gen Classic SLT short box crew with a 3.55 gear, and all the options I wanted, such as keyless access, heated seats and steering, power seats, centre console, and the new UConnect 5 which supports wireless CarPlay and Android Auto. And finally, I got the upgraded Alpine stereo with the rear under seat subwoofer. Some people on here complain that it's not great, but it's probably the 2nd best stock stereo I've ever heard. And compared to the AM radio-like stereo of the Accord, I feel like I'm in a finally tuned concert hall. And wow this truck is quiet, super smooth, awesome view of the road, super quiet low NVH engine, unbelievably smooth transmission, a comfy seat with the steering wheel and armrests right where they should be, I am home. And we picked up a real Christmas tree with it already and I've done two dump runs getting rid of crap in my garage.

Lastly, I have to say it's forums like this that also had a strong influence in my buying decision. I was blown away at how dead the Accord forums are. Meanwhile, on here people are modding the crap out of their trucks and providing tons of great ideas and valuable information on how to get the most out of your truck.

So I just wanted to say I'm happy to be back in a Ram, and I hope this helps you think twice before trading it in for a car!!

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm not sure what's going on in other parts of North America, but here in Ontario Canada, there are tons of Rams on the dealer lots. I mean TONS. One dealer here has over 400 of them sitting on the lot waiting to be bought and driven away.

Really? I'm not aware of any dealers that big.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I was blown away at how dead the Accord forums are. Meanwhile, on here people are modding the crap out of their trucks and providing tons of great ideas and valuable information on how to get the most out of your truck.

How many lively forums for refrigerator owners are there? That's the difference. An Accord is an appliance. Trucks have a much higher ratio of enthusiast to appliance buyers out there, and forums reflect that.

Gas prices are often overrated in decision making because you see them in front of you constantly. I'm not saying it doesn't matter, to some it matters a lot, but actually pencil out your budget and most are paying more in nonsense spending then they are a 15% difference in fuel prices. I'd rather drive what I want to drive and not eat out an extra time a month or something, personally, but I'm in a place that fuel prices are largely irrelevant.

OP
OP
H

Huliodude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
How many lively forums for refrigerator owners are there? That's the difference. An Accord is an appliance. Trucks have a much higher ratio of enthusiast to appliance buyers out there, and forums reflect that.

Gas prices are often overrated in decision making because you see them in front of you constantly. I'm not saying it doesn't matter, to some it matters a lot, but actually pencil out your budget and most are paying more in nonsense spending then they are a 15% difference in fuel prices. I'd rather drive what I want to drive and not eat out an extra time a month or something, personally, but I'm in a place that fuel prices are largely irrelevant.
Both your points are entirely correct. I just didn’t see the Accord as largely an appliance considering the sporty factor of the model I bought. Turns out, I don’t think Honda sold too many 2.0T’s as they’ve been discontinued for 2023. So that leaves just the hybrid and 1.5T models which could be argued are much more of an “appliance” car.

It’s true about gas prices playing a much bigger factor in buying decisions than they deserve due to prices being in your face every day. Had I just kept the Hemi Ram I had last year, I’d be better off financially despite the high gas prices. However the learning experience and getting the options I was missing in the Hemi truck made it worth it for me.

Elvira

Reaction score
I know fuel prices go up and down, I know that trucks do use more than cars and smaller vehicles.....but when I fire up that hemi and she rumbles to life, the cost is worth every penny. Comfortable, feeling safer in it, the best interior you could ask for, I am happy and so glad to drive my Ram and know there is very very little out there to compare it to...also knowing it is not a disposable foreign car.

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Op- I love driving my RAM for the comfort long distance etc. I do not drive it as a daily driver around town. I would never own a 6 in a pickup, it doesn't fit my use parameters, though it may for others.

We have other vehicles for to use around town or as daily drivers. You can easily get the best of both worlds by owning two vehicles and it really isn't much difference in total cost, over owning one. Only time it is a problem is if you insist on owning two brand new vehicles. One good used car and a pickup covers a lot more real estate than one or the other.

smittyd174

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I did very well trading in my 2016 3500 with the cummins in it. 7 years 140,000 kms and got about 75% of what I paid for it . Bought the classic for several reasons , price , availability and by now most of the kinks have been worked out except for those they just don't want to fix, the 2 ticks . If you should ever need a part easier to find and not sold on the 5th gen yet , not enough change to justify the price.

Slevin

Reaction score
After the honeymoon phase, I started to notice a few things I wasn't enamoured with. The biggest one was the driver's seat. It's extremely narrow. I'm 5ft 10" and weigh 175lbs, and yet I couldn't fit my hips between the side bolsters. After driving for 40 minutes, the side bolsters would be pushing on the sides of my thighs and pain would set in. I found myself squirming in my seat a lot, changing position and trying to alleviate the pressure on my thighs. Also, I could just not get comfortable in the car. Even though it had a telescoping steering wheel and the RAM did not, it was still too high and too far away. I could not rest my arms on the armrests and hold the steering wheel at the same time, it was just too far away. The only semi-comfortable position was hanging my right arm at 10am on the steering wheel, and I could only do that for so long before I needed to change positions, and there weren't any other comfortable positions! I never thought a car with power adjustable seats and fully adjustable steering wheel had no comfortable position for the average size guy. I started to dread driving it when I new I had a drive over 40 minutes long.

I paid MSRP for it, drove it for 6 months and 15,000km, and the dealer offered me full MSRP for it, without any negotiation on my part. They are also dying to unload their hundreds of Rams on the lot. The Ram I ultimately traded for was sitting on their lot for 7 months, and they had 7 others optioned exactly the same.

So I picked up a new 4th Gen Classic SLT short box crew with a 3.55 gear, and all the options I wanted, such as keyless access, heated seats and steering, power seats, centre console, and the new UConnect 5 which supports wireless CarPlay and Android Auto. And finally, I got the upgraded Alpine stereo with the rear under seat subwoofer. Some people on here complain that it's not great, but it's probably the 2nd best stock stereo I've ever heard. And compared to the AM radio-like stereo of the Accord, I feel like I'm in a finally tuned concert hall. And wow this truck is quiet, super smooth, awesome view of the road, super quiet low NVH engine, unbelievably smooth transmission, a comfy seat with the steering wheel and armrests right where they should be, I am home.

Lastly, I have to say it's forums like this that also had a strong influence in my buying decision. I was blown away at how dead the Accord forums are. Meanwhile, on here people are modding the crap out of their trucks and providing tons of great ideas and valuable information on how to get the most out of your truck.

So I just wanted to say I'm happy to be back in a Ram, and I hope this helps you think twice before trading it in for a car!!
Lots of good info here. I'm in the same boat as you were. I traded my 18 Ecodiesel Ram Laramie for a 21 Accord Touring 2.0T. I don't miss the gen 2 Ecodiesel...but I do miss the rest of the truck.

I agree with your Accord review. I can't find a comfortable seating position. I hate that I can't rest my elbows on something while I hold the steering wheel. Otherwise it is a great car. I'm happy to hear you got MSRP for it on your trade in.

I'm looking for v6 Ram myself. My only thing now is, 5'7 bed or 6'4 bed? I'm leaning towards the longer one.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
We have two vehicles.The EcoDiesel truck and a Toyota Solara. Both get about the same mileage (cause the wife has a lead foot). The range of the ecodiesel when towing is the reason we bought it and I don't regret it a bit, even though gas is about 25% cheaper right now in our area.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Pentastar 100%. I love the 3.6 in my car so much. Such a great sounding engine and it’s incredibly reliable.