People running larger tires, do you have a larger spare tire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueMule

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
2017 2500 with factory 33's. I installed 37" tires several years ago with 4.88 gears front/back. Never thought about the spare tire until I had a rear tire blowout about 80 miles from home this past spring. At the time of changing to the 33" spare, I rotated a 37" front tire to the rear axle where the flat was, and put the 33" spare on the front so to even out the rear drive axle differential gears. But this begs the question; did having a 33" and a 37" tire on the front axle cause any undue wear to the front differential gear? (This then brings up the question of what kind of differential does the 4th Gen 2500 have in the front? Open?) And if it did cause wear, this would then justify having a 37" spare. Anybody running a 37" spare?

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I have 37s with a matching spare tire and wheel. Kinda sucked to shell out the cash when buying but the piece of mind if a flat occurs is worth it (until I have to buy five new sneakers again). A big benefit is also the five tire rotation, extends the wear interval to 25% longer. AND if you rotate your tires yourself a five tire rotation can be done with one jack instead of two, small Beni but as long as we're looking at it.
The con of a 37" spare was I no longer could use the factory location to store it. I aired it down and tried but mine wasn't happening, not even close. So I then had a matching spare......in my garage. The 37 chews up enough bed space, I left my spare at home for a very long time. I hate the feeling of a fool so before I needed it and didn't have it, I sacrificed the bed space.

My '16 2500 wagon's front diff is open unless locked.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1500 on 35s here, full size spare in the bed, will not fit between the rails underneath. I used a cheap rim and a used tire from Craigslist that holds air and balanced out okay. Once I switch to a softtopper I'll be vertically mounting the spare as losing the bed space sucks pretty bad.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
1500 on 35s here, full size spare in the bed, will not fit between the rails underneath.
If I remember reading correctly on this forum somewhere, the trick to getting a 35" spare under the truck was to let the air out. This probably requires carrying a compressor but that's a lot smaller that a spare tire in the bed.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
The front diff doesn’t rotate in 2WD, so no harm or wear from mismatched sizes. The center axle disconnect opens and the axle shafts and spiders are the only parts moving in the front.

I have run many vehicles with a smaller spare due to space limitations of the spare carrier. Never worried about it.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I run 35s with a full size spare I built a carrier that’s removable so I only carry it on long trips it also has my little diesel heater on it I plan to put a spare fuel tank in the space that the spare tire used to live

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I remember reading correctly on this forum somewhere, the trick to getting a 35" spare under the truck was to let the air out. This probably requires carrying a compressor but that's a lot smaller that a spare tire in the bed.
I'll have to try that at some point, I'm still carrying my stock spare as well for what ifs, along with the compressor lol

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Some guys got 35s to fit "fully aired". I'll be going to 35s or 37s next year. Have 295 70 18 now 55k on them and still have enough tread to get me through the winter. If I go with 35s I'll do what @danielmid did and get a used 35 for a spare and put it in the spare location. If I go 37s well then it'll just have to ride in the bed. Knowing my luck if I went 37s and didn't carry a spare I'd get a flat a mile or 2 from home. That would be a long embarrassing walk rolling the spare down the road back to the truck.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dont carry a spare,

Tire plugs , Tire Jack and 12v Compressor are in my recovery gear bag

Way cheaper then another 37 Wilpeak and Rim ;)

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I changed from 18 to 20 and larger tire. I left spare as stock.

lighthawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
gas 6.4l
I replaced all five 33" factory highway tires with 35" 285/75r18 Wildpeaks on the stock 18" rims. With a bit of airing down, and tweaking the sheet metal heat shield I was able to just fit the spare under the bed. I carry a camper, so there's no room in the bed for the spare.

We travel to remote locations where getting a flat isn't uncommon. I've also recently installed onboard air, and carry a plug kit.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is no issue is doing what the OP stated. You are definitely not doing any abnormal damage to the front diff running a smaller spare temporarily. I have 37's with the factory spare due to both cost and don't want to take up a bunch of bed space. There are advantages to having a matching spare but a lot of that depends on your driving habits and locations. If I was going on a long road trip and doing some mild off-road driving during the trip I would definitely consider carrying a matching spare. The reason is that you could just slap the matching spare on and continue on your trip without running around trying to find a new tire (not a lot of tire shops carry a selection of 37's in stock!). On the other hand most of my driving is local....store, work, etc... so putting on a smaller spare and waiting a day or two for a replacement is not a big deal.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I wouldn’t want to go very far but it’s not a problem

ctwalton15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm running 35x12.5-R18 BF Goodrich all terrain KO2's. Came with the truck when we purchased it. The tires have roughly 40-50k on the tires. I've got 1 I really need to replace, I think it was driven with low air or too much air as its worn down significantly more then the others. Don't have a full spare, I've got a spare under the bed but I'm unable to lower the winch since A strip light was put under the tailgate for Stop tail and turn and its over the hole for the winch. I do run the risk of getting a flat anywhere but I keep plugs with me and a little air compressor as well. My step father works for a tow company and I work for a company that builds tow trucks. So if when the time comes I do have some options when I get a flat.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I replaced all five 33" factory highway tires with 35" 285/75r18 Wildpeaks on the stock 18" rims. With a bit of airing down, and tweaking the sheet metal heat shield I was able to just fit the spare under the bed. I carry a camper, so there's no room in the bed for the spare.

We travel to remote locations where getting a flat isn't uncommon. I've also recently installed onboard air, and carry a plug kit.
"Installed onboard air", as in you have an actual compressor in the truck, or you have some sort of active air management system like the military vehicles use?

2Tallguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
2017 2500 with factory 33's. I installed 37" tires several years ago with 4.88 gears front/back. Never thought about the spare tire until I had a rear tire blowout about 80 miles from home this past spring. At the time of changing to the 33" spare, I rotated a 37" front tire to the rear axle where the flat was, and put the 33" spare on the front so to even out the rear drive axle differential gears. But this begs the question; did having a 33" and a 37" tire on the front axle cause any undue wear to the front differential gear? (This then brings up the question of what kind of differential does the 4th Gen 2500 have in the front? Open?) And if it did cause wear, this would then justify having a 37" spare. Anybody running a 37" spare?
Good move. The front diffs are open. The 3rd gens can accommodate a worn or partially deflated 35. I hope the new ones are similar. A 35" would less of a difference. Once you have 4.88's a 37" will be a requirement.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I think the major downside would be the handling pulling steering

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I don't mess with oversized tires, But could you not build a different rack under the orignal spot in the rear, it would hang lower, but other wise, I don't see why it would not work, depending on the exhaust pipes. I haven't needed a spare for about 20 yrs, and that time I was 4 yrs away, heading for Calgary with a load of stuff.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
On a pw you probably would have to reroute the exhaust and remove/modified the heat shielding I built a hidden carrier that is removable