Perform Service message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
So they did a EGR clean as well. The perform service light is just for the crankcase filter. It has nothing to do with the EGR system.

joeb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Thanks for your reply, @Tach_tech . As you point out, the two may be independent of each other. The owner's manual doesn't clearly differentiate. (Page 112 of the 2012-Ram_Diesel-Supplement-4th.PDF)

Perform Service
Your vehicle will require emissions maintenance at a set interval. To help remind you when this maintenance is due, the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) will display “Perform Service”. When the “Perform Service” message is displayed on the EVIC it is necessary to have the emissions maintenance performed.

Emissions maintenance may include replacing the Closed Crankcase Ventilation (CCV) filter element, and cleaning of the EGR Cooler. The procedure for clearing and resetting the Perform Service indicator message is located in the appropriate Service Information.​

I might be wiser the next time around, but now I have another question: In the future, how will I know when the EGR Cooler needs to be cleaned?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
For the EGR service we usually just recommend going off the maintenance schedule in the owners manual. It should have when it’s recommended to do the EGR service.

joeb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
That would be every 67,500 miles, which is the "Perform Service" interval. So the Perform Service indicator is for the CCV Filter AND the EGR cleaning.

How much are others paying for the EGR cleaning?

What happens if the EGR cleaning step is postponed or ignored?

Last edited:

Louisiana RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
I also have a 2014 6.7 Cummins and had the perform service notice show up at about 67,500 miles. After changing the CCV filter out, I attempted to clear the code with no luck following the numerous break peddle/accelerator peddle instructions I found.

My son, a diesel mechanic by trade, cleared the code his first try. Here is what he did:

Open driver's door and keep it open during the entire sequence.... TOTAL time for the following sequence is 10 seconds...

Turn key to on...push break peddle twice fast, then push accelerator peddle twice fast.. and turn key to off.... Must be accomplished in under 10 seconds total time.

Turn key on and check the message center and the code should be gone. Start truck and you should not see the code any more.

Walla...Fixed!
Thank you, thank you... this was the only thing that actually worked on my 2018 RAM. After replacing my CCV Filter and trying to reset the Perform Service message many times over two days, trying it different ways (three pushes, two pushes, etc.)... nothing was working. The thing that made the difference was the timing. It is apparently 10 seconds from the time you turn the key to on. There's no way to do it "slowly." It has to be two FAST brake presses followed by two FAST accelerator presses, then turn key to off. Within ten seconds, this can only be done quickly. It worked for me the first time I did if fast. Thanks again.

Robert Mc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
For the EGR service we usually just recommend going off the maintenance schedule in the owners manual. It should have when it’s recommended to do the EGR service.
@Tach_tech I have read the owner's manual/service schedule for my 2018 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins and I also have the Ram App on my phone and the EGR cooler/valve service isn't listed anywhere in the book. Neither is the recommendation to replace the CCV filter. When my "Perform Service" light came on it took some internet sleuthing and the Ram Forum for me to determine that the CCV filter needed to be replaced but nowhere did it say anything about the EGR valve/cooler service. I find this very frustrating and misleading for Ram Cummins owners. Not everyone wants to to go to the stealership to have work done. If service is required it should be somewhere in the manual or on the app. In fact, on the app the CCV, EGR valve, and EGR cooler service aren't listed on any of the mileage recommendations.

I replaced my own CCV filter at the 67K mile mark but didn't service the EGR valve or cooler because it wasn't listed anywhere. Now I have a message in the EVIC that reads "Exhaust System Service Required See Dealer". I can't find any information in my manual or an the app that tells me what this is for. There is no CEL coming on it's just a message in the EVIC. But it goes off on its own after a few minutes and the next time I tart the truck it comes back on for. few minutes then goes off again. Sometimes when it goes off it stays off for a week or so. Any ideas on what this exhaust system service is? The dealer says they can't tell me if the CEL light isn't displayed.

Appreciate NY HLP YOU COULD OFFER.

GeoBobber

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thank you, thank you... this was the only thing that actually worked on my 2018 RAM. After replacing my CCV Filter and trying to reset the Perform Service message many times over two days, trying it different ways (three pushes, two pushes, etc.)... nothing was working. The thing that made the difference was the timing. It is apparently 10 seconds from the time you turn the key to on. There's no way to do it "slowly." It has to be two FAST brake presses followed by two FAST accelerator presses, then turn key to off. Within ten seconds, this can only be done quickly. It worked for me the first time I did if fast. Thanks again.
Thank you for this post. You have filled in the missing details. I had the part riding around in my backseat for about two months, when I was at the dealer for a tranny flush. He asked if I wanted to have my CCV filter replaced. I said sure go ahead as they were only going to charge me 60 bucks to install my filter. They said they reset my perform service code, but actually they reset my fuel filter reset, inadvertently. So over the last four months, and about a dozen attempts by myself to reset the Perform Service message, I finally found your post.

Leave the door open turn on the key step on the break twice, step on the accelerator twice, turn the key off, all within 10 seconds. My problem has been solved. Thank you!!

Ga_Roamer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ya I guess what the hell do I know hey? Just been a Chrysler tech for the past 10 years. Let’s hope he didn’t listen to you.

It’s not the DPF filter. “PERFORM SERVICE” is for the crankcase filter. If it was the DPF there would be a different message saying exhaust filter full see dealer as well as a CEL. To reset it you press the brake pedal twice then gas pedal two times.
I have a 2014 ram 2500 that has had the ccv deleted but it is displaying the preform service message. I reset it and it keeps popping back up. Any ideas

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
How many miles are on it? The CCV filter message is programmed to pop up every 67,500 miles.

Since yours is deleted I presume there is a tune on the truck.... some have had to reload their tune to make it go away. Or... it could be a sensor (maybe air intake sensor) or something similar that needs your attention.

Or... HOW was it deleted? Was the CCV gutted and was there a small breather filter installed? Sometimes those little breathers will introduce too much restriction in the system and you'll get the message. If that's the case, then you might try removing the breather, pointing the elbow down, and running a tube down by the side of the engine. It will weep a little residue from time to time but it will clear the restriction.