Performance lowering and leveling kit 2/4 recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The regular cab short beds are definitely a unique animal and I can see with the short wheel base how minor issues can really be multiplied! I'm doing these upgrades in small part for the looks, but I also want to use it as a truck (just picked up about 1,000 pounds of tile/grout/mortar for a 'surprise' project my wife decided I needed to do on my work break) so I can still get some utility out of it, and I HAVE to make this thing safer with better handling, which is primarily why I'm doing this. My truck is running just over 500 WHP, 635-ish at the crank. Without the ass end firmly planted like I hope a bit of lowering and stiffer control arms/performance shocks will do, this thing is dangerous to drive right now if I use all of those ponies and am not really thoughtful about it, the stock suspension can't handle it safely.

Look into the airbags that go inside the coil springs,they'll help if you still want to use it as a truck after lowering it.If you decide the bags are something you want or need,make sure you run separate air lines to each bag.When you "T" the lines together and go into a corner while loaded,the outside bag gets squeezed down,and then transfers air pressure over to the inside bag,which tends to pressure it up , lifting the inside of the truck. I ran my air lines and fill fittings to my rear licence plate bolts,with a black cap on the fittings they are virtually invisible,but are easy to get at.I've also seen the fill fittings mounted inside the fuel filler door,which also keeps them out of sight while still being easy to get at.

OP
OP
James OBrien

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Good thing I've got the air ride rear suspension already! I didn't have to use them yesterday but figure I'll have to start figuring out how the system works when the truck gets lowered. I've pretty much ordered all the parts, going to try to lower the front with the 4x2 spindles and see how that works, and have helwig/lowering coils/core control arms/shocks coming.

hdoggie24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Good thing I've got the air ride rear suspension already! I didn't have to use them yesterday but figure I'll have to start figuring out how the system works when the truck gets lowered. I've pretty much ordered all the parts, going to try to lower the front with the 4x2 spindles and see how that works, and have helwig/lowering coils/core control arms/shocks coming.
I didn't know the regular cabs came with the air ride rear suspension. I would love to see what that looks like if you can post a few pics. Hopefully it doesn't cause problems lowering the rear?

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pppppffffttt!!!!(Spits out whisky)
Sorry, you have the factory ram air suspension?!
I don’t think you just throw a belltech spring and shock kit in it. There are companies that specialize in kits for lowering vehicles with factory air suspension if that’s the case.

OP
OP
James OBrien

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
I will, it has air bags in the rear and a fill connection next to the license plate, from what I had read I thought the rear airbags were factory options you could add, or it could have been added by the previous owner, I bought it used with 10K miles.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I will, it has air bags in the rear and a fill connection next to the license plate, from what I had read I thought the rear airbags were factory options you could add, or it could have been added by the previous owner, I bought it used with 10K miles.

They had to have been added,they never made a regular cab shortbox with the factory air ride,plus there wouldn't be any fill fittings in the licence plate area.

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The factory air ride has switches to raise and lower. You have aftermarket helper bags that you will be replacing when you get the new lowering springs. You can probably keep the fill valve, fittings and hoses if they were installed correctly.

good luck and keep us posted (post lots of pics too!)

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The factory air ride has switches to raise and lower. You have aftermarket helper bags that you will be replacing when you get the new lowering springs. You can probably keep the fill valve, fittings and hoses if they were installed correctly.

good luck and keep us posted (post lots of pics too!)

He's probably okay with the bags he's got ,I wouldn't replace them unless they leak.If or when they do develop a leak,then replace them,but I wouldn't worry to much about them if they hold air

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Always liked your truck Tray,it's a sharp little toy.The only thing is it's a leaf sprung truck,not a 4 link truck like the later 4th Gens are.
Yeah, that's why I noted it was an 03, thanks for the compliment too.
I did have a friend that had the 4 link set-up and was able to pull off the same effect though, it can be done.
I just like any chance I get to post my truck too. lol
Good luck, you'll figure it out.

OP
OP
James OBrien

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Yep, looks like I've got helper bags, and I think they'll be OK with the lowering springs I've got coming in. It'll take a few weeks to get all the assorted pieces and parts in, will definitely take pics when it gets done!

Ramcharger60

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 crew cab sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, looks like I've got helper bags, and I think they'll be OK with the lowering springs I've got coming in. It'll take a few weeks to get all the assorted pieces and parts in, will definitely take pics when it gets done!
When you lower you need shorter bags. The air lift bag setup for a stock height truck is too tall for a 4inch drop. The bag will be all buckled. Not good for the bags. You have to get new air bags

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
When you lower you need shorter bags. The air lift bag setup for a stock height truck is too tall for a 4inch drop. The bag will be all buckled. Not good for the bags. You have to get new air bags

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't worry about them or change them till they leak.Why spend money till you have to,they're only used as back-up bags,so not a big deal if they do develop a leak,truck will still be drivable.Lots of lowered trucks don't have bags,lol.

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’d sell the ones in it now in the buy/sell forum and get the correct ones fit for the new springs.
You don’t need them until you do, then if they aren’t working properly you’re screwed.
You won’t want to drag ass towing something heavy when you’re already down 4” lower.

I’ll be doing this same kit with bags in the spring:D

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I’d sell the ones in it now in the buy/sell forum and get the correct ones fit for the new springs.
You don’t need them until you do, then if they aren’t working properly you’re screwed.
You won’t want to drag ass towing something heavy when you’re already down 4” lower.

I’ll be doing this same kit with bags in the spring:D

Make sure you run separate air lines to each bag,don't "T" the bags together and use one fitting to fill both bags.Run each bag as an individual bag.
Licence plate bolts make a good place to put your fill fittings,with a black cap on the fittings they are virtually invisible,while still being easy to get at,another place is to mount them inside the gas cap door,either works ,I have mine in my licence plate bolts.

OP
OP
James OBrien

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
I'm going to retrofit mine, it looks like they ran both on one t.