Performance Tune Up Part Recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

acolic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi

Now that I have fixed the rust on the vehicle, did a complete brake job and replaced front struts and rear shocks I’m going to give it an end to end tuneup.

Besides the OEM parts just looking for advice if there’s better replacement parts for the truck.

My plan is to do:

A full coolant job replacing both top / bottom hoses.

Full engine tuneup replacing the plugs and coil’s.

Replacing the oil, differential, transmission, and transaxle fluids.

Serpentine belt.

Air filter.

Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hi

Now that I have fixed the rust on the vehicle, did a complete brake job and replaced front struts and rear shocks I’m going to give it an end to end tuneup.

Besides the OEM parts just looking for advice if there’s better replacement parts for the truck.

My plan is to do:

A full coolant job replacing both top / bottom hoses. - How many miles on that water pump? Might be worth it. Make sure you use the right HOAT (orange) coolant. Check the heater hoses as well; they tend to get ignored until it's too late.

Full engine tuneup replacing the plugs and coil’s. - If the coils aren't bad/misfiring they don't necessarily need to be replaced (your call). Fresh plugs are always good, especially with a maintenance interval of 30,000 miles. Don't forget the wires.

Replacing the oil, differential, transmission, and transaxle fluids. - Good, 5W20, 75W-140 for the rear (with LSD additive if you have one), ATF+4 & filters; you don't have a transaxle. If you mean transfer case, then that is also ATF+4 and the front diff is 75W-90.

Serpentine belt. - always a good call, also take a look at your two idler pulleys and the tensioner; they're cheap and it's good insurance.

Air filter.

Thanks for the advice.

See bold above
For the most part with stock replacement style parts OEM is the best one; turns out they're also usually the most expensive as well.

OP
OP
A

acolic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi

Should have said the truck has 140 000 miles

I meant transfer case my mistake.

Thanks for the ideas.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hi

Should have said the truck has 140 000 miles

I meant transfer case my mistake.

Thanks for the ideas.

You're on a good path, I just added a few tidbits that like to come back and bite people in the ass down the road.

OP
OP
A

acolic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bummer

Front differential, transfer case, and transmission look really good but the rear differential pinion gear has a chip.

This is gonna be expensive.

And to top it off someone had pulled out the LSD and replaced it with a standard differential.

I guess it’s on the list.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Bummer

Front differential, transfer case, and transmission look really good but the rear differential pinion gear has a chip.

This is gonna be expensive.

And to top it off someone had pulled out the LSD and replaced it with a standard differential.

I guess it’s on the list.

Aww that sucks, sorry to hear that. Sounds like the previous owner got the stock LSD clip problem, probably grenaded the rear. Most times when this happens people usually just swap the whole thing.

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Now is the time for a gear ratio change if you have to buy a new ring and pinion! Well if its 2 wheel drive. Moe’s or Randy’s ring and pinion can hook you up. I rebuilt my rear with a tru trac dif and all new bearings for about 800 my r&p was good tho.

OP
OP
A

acolic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m torn with just replacing the gears or pulling the whole thing out and replacing it with an LSD.

My mechanic was not thrilled with me Suggs a used LSD and suggested if I wanted to go that LSD route to go OEM new.

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Agreed don’t use a used lsd. 500 for new lsd on Randy’s r&p

OP
OP
A

acolic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Randy’s has LSD’s is for around $500 but then I have to include the ring and pinion and $400. So likely a grand before install.

I was going to get a locker but my mechanic is kind of talking me out of it.

I do about 75% on the road and perhaps 25% off road, mostly logging trails during hunting season.

The most I will likely lift the truck is 2 1/2” inches.

He’s telling me my existing gear ratio of around 3.73 ( I think) is going to be fine and a plain LSD is more than enough.

Still have a lot of research to do.

OP
OP
A

acolic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have to do the following, just planning the order:

1. Replace upper control arms.
2. Replace front struts. Already have new Bilsteins.
3. 2-2.5” lift.
4. Replace ring and pinion gear.

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Start spraying the lower strut bolt with PB blaster!!! I took me about an hour on each side “working” the bolt in little in and out with an impact to get those rusty crusty bolts loose! And about a can of PB blaster.