Picking up 2017 ram 1500 15k miles- what should I be looking out for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just made a post in the engine forum specifically about a manifold question but the replies raised some other questions for me..
I just purchased a 2017 ram 1500 sport night 4x4 5.7 hemi with 3.92 gears and LSD through carvana with 15k miles- according to carfax it has a 1 owner history and it lived in ohio until it was sold to carvana in october this year. Nothing glaring at the carfax.
With carvana, I get a walkaround/brief test drive before I officially take the truck and then from then I have 7 days and 400 miles to decide if I want to keep the truck or else I can return it for a full refund. Over 400 miles is 1$ per mile penalty on the refund.
I already plan to take the truck to a dealer to have them give it a look over as I do not know any local mechanics who I would go to.
Aside from that:
What are some things I should look out for when picking up the truck and in the 1st 7 days?
Ive seen the parking brake cable mentioned, I know that the manifold can warp and cause a ticking. It is all coil spring (no air bags) according to the build sheet. Is there anything outside the obvious (water damage, rust etc) that I should be looking for when I inspect the truck?
Thanks

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With only 15k miles? look for any rust at all on the interior (seat tracks, under dash from a toes-eye-view, etc) and if you see any at all, inspect it really well for the possibility of being a flood vehicle.

If it passes that and you're certain it hasn't been in a collision there's really nothing else to think about in just 15k miles. The coolant is "10 year" coolant but I'd consider changing it at 5 or 6 years.. the corrosion inhibitors are sacrificial and they age whether the machine is running or not.

OP
OP
healthyrx

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With only 15k miles? look for any rust at all on the interior (seat tracks, under dash from a toes-eye-view, etc) and if you see any at all, inspect it really well for the possibility of being a flood vehicle.

If it passes that and you're certain it hasn't been in a collision there's really nothing else to think about in just 15k miles. The coolant is "10 year" coolant but I'd consider changing it at 5 or 6 years.. the corrosion inhibitors are sacrificial and they age whether the machine is running or not.
Good thought to check from a toes eye view- I dont know that I would have thought of that one! I would probably be doing a total fluid change on the truck in 1k miles or so if I end up keeping it. Fluids are what kept my 6.0 powerstroke running to 315k miles when the ECU and TCM took a dump on me

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Go through all the settings of the HVAC system
Check to see if the heat gets hot enough to make you turn it down
see if the Air Conditioning gets cold enough
Check that the fan speeds function, high, low, etc.

Check that you get air up at the windshield, the dash vents, the floor vents

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also if you go to the dealer, they can pull any past warranty issues/maintenance AND check the mileage in the computers. Even is someone rolled back the odometer, they may have forgotten about the other modules.

Toddbigboytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes. They can I have a friend that has a company that switches dash to bring Canadian truck to the American marked and he has to pregame the computer and dash. He claimed it is east to do it

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Harder, Yes. Impossible, no.

Change the oil every 5000 miles or less.

I like Shorty Headers BEFORE bolts start snapping. Once bolts start snapping, the job gets a whole lot more complicated. You'll gain a little HP. Theoretically, you'll get a little better gas mileage, but nothing noticeable. The MPG thing is what you use to convince your woman of the reasoning behind doing Shortys.

DJ18hemi1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Harder, Yes. Impossible, no.

Change the oil every 5000 miles or less.

I like Shorty Headers BEFORE bolts start snapping. Once bolts start snapping, the job gets a whole lot more complicated. You'll gain a little HP. Theoretically, you'll get a little better gas mileage, but nothing noticeable. The MPG thing is what you use to convince your woman of the reasoning behind doing Shortys.
Until your mpg goes down from mashing the accelerator to hear the exhaust

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Do some checking for flood damage, look & smell.

One thing to look at that a shyster may not think to change out, would be the Cabin Air Filter, it is an easy thing to look at & you will want to install a new charcoal filter in its place anyway.
Then remove an door entry step plate or 2
If it is a Crew Cab, lift the rear floor mat & look into the storage cubbies