Pilot Light Off or On During Fuel Stop?

steve s.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello Ram Gurus,

How critical is it to turn off RV pilot lights when fueling? Gas stations used to always have warning signs, but these have gone away in recent years. I always turn off the HWH pilot, but get tired of turning off and then restarting the pilot for the refrigerator. I suspect an awful lot of RVs are being fueled with pilot lights on.

Thanks.

Steve S.

Dbrewton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I always keep mine off when traveling. Something about an open flame blowing around in the wind at 70 mph makes me nervous. I have seen more than 1 burned out rv on the side of the road, so I am overly cautious with my own equipment.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Surprised you have a standing pilot and not electronic! Also very surprised the H20 doesn't blow out while moving down the interstate! The fridges is shielded inside the absorber chamber out of the wind. That said, mine are electronic, H20 is off while traveling and fridge stays in auto. Haven't blown up in 30+ years!

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I always traveled with my fridge on and can honestly say I never even thought about fueling issues. I can see the concern but just never crossed my mind. I guess maybe it was because my fridge was on the opposite side of the truck. I would think there would be a lot of fires if it were an issue as I’m sure many travel with the pilot light lit.

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
if you pull into a slot at fueling station, even if you pull to the front pump, and you have a fridge/heater (pilot lights) on same side as fuel pump. How many fumes are in the air when filling, and is there enough to seep into the grates of the heater/fridge cover panel?

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Surprised you have a standing pilot and not electronic! Also very surprised the H20 doesn't blow out while moving down the interstate! The fridges is shielded inside the absorber chamber out of the wind. That said, mine are electronic, H20 is off while traveling and fridge stays in auto. Haven't blown up in 30+ years!

I suppose if it's an older HWH it may still have a pilot that stays on constant...

But I haven't seen a fridge with a standing pilot in YEARS...I'm pretty sure the fridge pilots have been electronic for a couple decades now. I don't recall my dad ever lighting a pilot for the fridge in their old 1992 Starcraft camper. HWH yes but not the fridge.

For the record, I leave the HWH off when travelling but the fridge is on Auto.