Pin code temporary?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Was at the stealership today and asked for my pin code.

Lady at parts dept asked if it was to program fob, I said yes. She asked for registration and license, which I gave.

She comes back and gives me a paper with the code on it, then tells me the code is only good for 24 hours.

WTF?????

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I took a Jeep in a few months ago to program a fob and a new chip-key. I had a bad feeling about being down to 1 key & fob. I know the parts guy a little bit. He explained to me they also needed to contact 'corporate' and get a number ...pretty much the same process as you said. Maybe it's security to prevent a mechanic with a list of fob program numbers putting them online... (??). Maybe a chrysler mechanic can chime in and verify.

Note: Just this AM the mrs found the 'missing' key in her coat pocket (well there went $120!) LOL

Last edited:
OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Told me $180 for a new fob for the Ram. Basic one, no remote start.

Gordo2212

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
I don't get how they can give you a pin that expires. I went to the parts section of my dealer and asked for my trucks radio frequency hub pin, showed them my registration and license and they went in the back and 5 minutes later gave me the pin. No questions asked.

So weird how dealers are trying to charge people or tell them the pin expires. Unless there is some way they can give you a pin that expires but how would your truck know that it expires when you go to program the key fob?

OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I don't get how they can give you a pin that expires. I went to the parts section of my dealer and asked for my trucks radio frequency hub pin, showed them my registration and license and they went in the back and 5 minutes later gave me the pin. No questions asked.
That's exactly what they did for me, showed the info, they went to the back for a few, came out and gave me a paper with my code.

Except for the 24 hour bs.

Highway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got my pin code last week and was told it was temporary but still using it today. I think the code changes when you go and receive the code

Steve Hammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My experience. Carlsbad, CA Bob Baker $25 for PIN and oh by the way only good for 24hrs. No you can not have your money back. Called my dealer back home, NC for PIN and we only see 24 hr. period very seldom, 21 and 22 vehicles. Your 2016 most likely your PIN will live on. Making a trip down to BB tomorrow to have a little chat w/Deal ship manager. CEO's and the internet are good places to right wrongs.

Highway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dealer parts dept gave me mine. Also said it was temporary but have been using it for months

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
does the pin allow for other programming besides the fob? Any limitations?

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For the pin to be temporary the truck would need to have a pretty precise time source so it can calculate what the code at any point in time is. Theoretically that could be achieved via GPS or some built-in real time clock with independent power source but there's just too many things that can go wrong to make that reliable. E.g the truck sits in a shop building or the backup battery runs down (a common problem with the security system in older Bentleys or Jags IIRC).

Having said that, newer models with the "secure gateway" probably get accurate time from the scan tool (which in turn needs Internet connection) and use some sort of rolling code.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you wanted something like a extra FOB

You can go to ACE Hardware or any locksmith that sells Dodge FOBs & they have a machine that programs the FOBs to your vehicle.
So there machine must be able to pull up the PIN

I called around in my area & they told me that if i had a FOB that i purchased from
carandtruck remotes, they would charge me $49 to program it

Other places want you to buy the FOB from them of course

But the dealership would charge you over twice as much

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Chrysler pin puller app will get you the permanent pin . I used it with alfaOBD