Pinging/detonation, anyone try a colder plug?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
When I'm towing in the summer I get what I consider excessive pinging. Not enough for the dealer to do anything about it (the manual says something like "a small amount of pinging is normal"), but more than I want.

I've noticed that it gets worse the hotter the engine is. I've gone on a bit of journey as of late to get my temps down, did the AGS delete, 180 thermostat, even a remote oil filter relocation kit to get more air flow over the filter and more hose area. I'm sure that all adds up and helps, my temps are definitely cooler now. But I still get ping, even unloaded, on a hot day.

According to motortrend, one way to possibly fix this is to try a colder spark plug. Has anyone tried this successfully?

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/engine-detonation-knock-explained/
If you were closer i'd give you a full set of Denso 3381 plugs to try out.I have about a 1/2 dozen sets of them with between 5,000 and 8,000 clics on them.Nothing wrong with them,i just swap plugs on a yearly basis

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i have run the 93 from the same station, Sheetz, up until a month ago when they closed for remodel. I switched then to Sam's Club 93 and my truck all but puked its guts out… knock, ping, noisy so I dumped in a can of VP Octanium and it helped once it did its thing in the tank. My point is not all gas is equal.
My tuner had told me previous to stick with the fuel he had data from because it was logging great.
I had the same issue. I was going through the tuning process with hemifever. I used 89 from a grocery store fuel station (I had 90 cents off/gallon). Sean from hemifever asked me what gas I had put in it because it was horrible and it couldn't be used for the tune that he provided. He also recommended top tier gas. I have since started using 90 ethanol free gas from the Sheetz chain. I gain about 1 mpg towing with that fuel. The low-end torque seems much better with the fuel as well.