Pistol storage/access ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking for ideas for a storage/vault solution for a pistol. Needs to be somewhat secure, but definitely stealthy. First off, I am a CHP licensee for 20+ years and in VA, I can ride with any firearm or multiple firearms concealed on my person or anywhere in my vehicle. ( If you dont have a CHP in my state, your limited to a “storage that can be closed” but doesnt have to be locked…like a center console.)
I have the jump seat/fold-down center console. No compartment under the jump seat. Typically my truck gun is a Glock 45 or Glock 21. Neither will fit in the drawer under the HVAC bezel.
Just looking for ideas. Thanks.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Good question. There are under seat safes. Not sure if anyone makes one for the Ram but they bolt in using your seat bolts.
I have also had a CCW for almost 30 years and also was in law enforcement for awhile. But usually in my truck I carry my model 22 Glock in a Fobus holster and clip it onto my console pocket but I have the full console but that isn't a secured place.
Depending on where I'm going and what I'm wearing I usually have my M&P Shield 2.0 on my belt

Glock.jpg

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hooke Road RAM Rear Seat Floor Storage Organizer Tray Lock Vault Box for 09-18 Dodge RAM 1500/2500/3500 Pickup Truck https://a.co/d/cRvrgyA

My dad has one of these. Works good.

OP
OP
ThunderMug95

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I carry my G26 on my belt always, but this is my current method. The angle to reach it if the need arises is not great. Its better than chucking it in the center console. Plus thieves may not realize its a jump seat under the console.
1667444170184.jpeg

OP
OP
ThunderMug95

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hooke Road RAM Rear Seat Floor Storage Organizer Tray Lock Vault Box for 09-18 Dodge RAM 1500/2500/3500 Pickup Truck https://a.co/d/cRvrgyA

My dad has one of these. Works good.
Ive looked at these. I would prefer to be able to reach the pistol while seated in the driver seat though. Like if I am going somewhere to do something I do not need to leave my truck to do, I may go with out my carry on my hip. Kinda rare. Since 2020 kicked off like it did, I have been prepared. Meaning behind the modded rear seat is a legal self protection tool worth getting to in a defense situation ;)

2Kings920

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is what I have. The only downside is you have to drill into the center console. I think there are some that have adhesive instead of screws, but the Southern heat down here usually causes them to not hold for long. It’s an incredibly strong magnet!

KEEPER MG Gun Magnet for Vehicle - Magnetic Quickdraw Holder for Rifle, Handgun, Shotgun, Pistol up to 35lbs - Tactical Car Holster & Mount for Home, Desk, Truck Accessories for Men https://a.co/d/fS4aBWI

Rebob0510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got a gun magnet like 2Kings920 mentioned. I installed it in my center console and the magnet is strong enough to hold the pistol in place even with it flipped into the up position. I went with both the double sided tape it comes with and screws to hold it down.

Attachments

• IMG_2297.jpg
    IMG_2297.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 69041861150__1F255FD1-F937-4FD1-BE91-72A1C89EDDB6.jpg
    69041861150__1F255FD1-F937-4FD1-BE91-72A1C89EDDB6.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 43

mb33458

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 etorque
Have you thought about something like this that you can secure to your seat frame with a cable?

OP
OP
ThunderMug95

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have one similar to that in the rear. I was more looking for ingenious solutions that still allow quick access.
I want a company to invent a biometric lock that springs open my tray/drawer underneath my HVAC controls. That would be really awesome. I guess I will hold my breath lol.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I've worked Robbery/Homicide in some capacity for roughly 8 years, currently as a LT, in an office that sees 200-ish murders a year, roughly 5x that in non-fatal shootings/stabbings, and I can't even tell you how many robberies. I worked some 200-250 a year personally, if I wasn't training new detectives.

I've learned a lot about what works and what doesn't. Off body carry sucks and is a good way to get killed reaching for a gun or get separated from your gun when you need it most, as well as ultimately arming a bad guy. I've worked those cases, including a guy murdered while on the phone with his wife as he reached for his pistol to avoid a carjacking. On body carry lets you comply when you need to, feign compliance when you need to, then act when it's tactically advantageous to do so. If you're in the truck, have the gun on you. If it's uncomfortable, get a better holster and belt. If it's still uncomfortable, change carry positions. If it's still uncomfortable, remember so is being shot. Sometimes not for long, though.

If you're out of the truck and going in a prohibited place, anything that can't be defeated with tools you can have in your pocket will probably be just fine. Car burglars hit quick and leave quick. One of the small gun safes that has a wire loop that attaches itself to the seat frame will defeat most smash and grabs as they don't want to spend the time. Avoiding having anything of value visible from outside the truck will prevent the vast vast majority of random smash and grabs.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've worked Robbery/Homicide in some capacity for roughly 8 years, currently as a LT, in an office that sees 200-ish murders a year, roughly 5x that in non-fatal shootings/stabbings, and I can't even tell you how many robberies. I worked some 200-250 a year personally, if I wasn't training new detectives.

I've learned a lot about what works and what doesn't. Off body carry sucks and is a good way to get killed reaching for a gun or get separated from your gun when you need it most, as well as ultimately arming a bad guy. I've worked those cases, including a guy murdered while on the phone with his wife as he reached for his pistol to avoid a carjacking. On body carry lets you comply when you need to, feign compliance when you need to, then act when it's tactically advantageous to do so. If you're in the truck, have the gun on you. If it's uncomfortable, get a better holster and belt. If it's still uncomfortable, change carry positions. If it's still uncomfortable, remember so is being shot. Sometimes not for long, though.

If you're out of the truck and going in a prohibited place, anything that can't be defeated with tools you can have in your pocket will probably be just fine. Car burglars hit quick and leave quick. One of the small gun safes that has a wire loop that attaches itself to the seat frame will defeat most smash and grabs as they don't want to spend the time. Avoiding having anything of value visible from outside the truck will prevent the vast vast majority of random smash and grabs.
To add to these excellent points, be wary of some of these storage solutions that require you to draw/reholster, dangerous and attention grabbing potentially.

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
I have this same set up. Works great and nobody knows it's there, till now......
How long are the mounting screws and do they fasten just to the under seat storage or go into the floor?

Moose2

Military
Reaction score

Well said and I concur. On person is best.