Planning to buy this truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJ18hemi1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was excited to find a 2018 with only 30k on it…crazy to think of a 2012 with this low mileage is for sale.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
LOL ....I put 3500 to 4k miles on my Ram a yr. If that! Sometimes not even 3500. I know it from using an insurance tracker to get insurance discounts. (Have other vehicle's to drive). Not trying to 'preserve it' ...just works out that way. Hummer H3 is waaaaayyy more fun to drive on a daily basis (times 3!). But then sometimes a guy needs to haul brick, lumber, sheet rock or whatever and the pickup comes in handy. Or just fun to drive the pick-up when the feeling hits.

Then you have older guys who don't commute or go too far but still need a pickup. Or business owners who have a company work truck and like to have a 'good truck' for whenever they need/want it ...but end up not using as much as they intended. Probably wasteful to a lot of people, but that's for the owners to worry about.

Last edited:

jfspry58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have a 12 Laramie Longhorn. It’s a 2500 w/6.7 so I can’t offer much help drivetrain wise but the truck has been great. It has 112k on it and I hope to put that many more on it. Based on the pictures and info given, I’d buy it in a heartbeat if it’s what you want! Please keep us updated if you buy it.

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My knee jerk reaction is wait and ride out this crazy high price wave. But I'm not that optimistic anymore. It may be coming to if you find a good one; buy it. There might never be another. One segment that is destroyed is the lower cost cars, say for a teen age kid starting out; Something less than $6k. Most everything you will find is junk.

OP
OP
R

Ryan493

Reaction score
I’m still here guys, been absent a few days as work was busy and such, I did buy it a week ago now and I’m loving the truck. I see there’s a few concerned posts now after my announcement that I was going to buy it.
I feel really confident about this truck. I was able to look through the whole history and there was nothing but maintenance type entries. I listened to the engine cold and no tick was present.
I’ve also got a couple friends with this engine and they were very excited about me finding a low mileage offering like this. I did not pay for an extended warranty. I do not believe in those and the dealership put waaaay to much pressure on me to pay for that. I said heck no.
As for potential issues, I get it..it’s not a brand new truck. But for me the miles are low enough that it allows for continued value of the truck as long as nothing major occurs. Any vehicle will have costs, that’s something I tried to allow for when I went shopping for a truck. I’ve been searching regularly for about a year and longer than that overall been watching for these trucks.

I plan on sticking around this forum as my time owning this truck progresses. I look forward to sharing more!
I got the truck fluid film/cavity waxed by a friend to avoid any corrosion. Being from Ohio we always try to do this to keep the salt from ruining everything.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I’m still here guys, been absent a few days as work was busy and such, I did buy it a week ago now and I’m loving the truck. I see there’s a few concerned posts now after my announcement that I was going to buy it.
I feel really confident about this truck. I was able to look through the whole history and there was nothing but maintenance type entries. I listened to the engine cold and no tick was present.
I’ve also got a couple friends with this engine and they were very excited about me finding a low mileage offering like this. I did not pay for an extended warranty. I do not believe in those and the dealership put waaaay to much pressure on me to pay for that. I said heck no.
As for potential issues, I get it..it’s not a brand new truck. But for me the miles are low enough that it allows for continued value of the truck as long as nothing major occurs. Any vehicle will have costs, that’s something I tried to allow for when I went shopping for a truck. I’ve been searching regularly for about a year and longer than that overall been watching for these trucks.

I plan on sticking around this forum as my time owning this truck progresses. I look forward to sharing more!
I got the truck fluid film/cavity waxed by a friend to avoid any corrosion. Being from Ohio we always try to do this to keep the salt from ruining everything.
I have a '12 truck and I personally love it. It has the 6 speed instead of the 8 speed. I would rather have the 8 speed but they didn't offer it then so I have the best they offered at the time. I have 141,000 miles and it's still going strong and it's not worth the cost to switch to an 8 speed as long as mine keeps going. If mine quits I'll decide then! Enjoy your truck and don't worry about troubles other people have with theirs. Take care of it and it will take care of you, drive it like you stole it, Mopars don't like being babied. I've owned many!

Last edited:

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter

What is "fluid film/cavity waxed" ... would that be the same thing as "undercoating"?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oil in the door bottoms too ...and don't forget to 'treat' the areas on the middle of the fenders behind that fender badge. As odd as it seems, it's a wierd rust area.

Johnny_B-Good

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Glad you pulled the trigger on your new(ish) RAM. You sound like you're going in to this with a good level head. Knowing there can be issues, and know you're hanging with a bunch of folks who have "been there, done that" and can offer up great advice, and help with most anything you're going to encounter. May the miles you travel place endless smiles upon your face... Welcome to THIS Family... The RAM Family!!!

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

There are plenty of reasons for very low mileage trucks. A few years ago I sold my 6 year old 2012 with 18k miles on it. When I was still working, I'd often work 2-3 day shifts which meant not commuting every day. There were also times I took a commuter train to the city. And then I retired so that explains the low miles on my current truck, although I use it more because I often do electrical work for a contractor friend.

hogan1945

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I love my 2012, but remember if you have auto start don't let your eng. idle to long because you will run the possible chance of destroying your Hemi !! My 5.7 has had the oil and filter changes every 3000 mi.
With the best oil and filters available, but still at 134200 mi the eng cam and lifter problem showed up. Now I am going through the process of a new 5.7 replacement. 7-9 thousand replace cost. So be very careful and listen to your best mechanic about your 5.7 Hemi!!!

Attachments

• 2021-09-13 16.29.17.jpg
    2021-09-13 16.29.17.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
R

Ryan493

Reaction score
Back from a Paint Correction and Ceramic Coat. I felt this truck is worth preserving as much as possible. I’m really pleased with the results! This color has really grown on me quick as well.

Attachments

• 6F4D835D-41A5-4A2C-8787-6D056C22CB83.jpeg
    6F4D835D-41A5-4A2C-8787-6D056C22CB83.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 3B726D4B-142B-475A-8CB0-868816A2270E.jpeg
    3B726D4B-142B-475A-8CB0-868816A2270E.jpeg
    204.3 KB · Views: 10

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
just an off topic question....here in the great white canadian north the dealers absolutely refuse to divulge warranty history. Only option they say is to go back to the original selling dealer which in my experience is not successful. Any hints at how to overcome this and get the warranty history. As far as the original poster the vehicle sounds too good to be true.....
About all you can do,is run a Carfax report on the vehicle up here.Even trying to go back through Motor Vehicles for prior owners is tough,unless you know somebody