Play in steering? Steering rack failure due to slop in steering?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

670hoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has anyone seen an electronic power steering rack fail due to mechanical slop or just electrical failure? I have slop in my steering when you move the wheel back and forth slightly and they are telling me I need a new steering rack. I am wondering if I could be lucky and it may just be a sloppy inner tie rod end which is part of the rack but replaceable. I did have the steering wheel symbol with '!' light come on in the dash one time though. I've just never seen a rack fail mechanically on here. They've all been electric failures.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
It’s very easy to check for yourself. Have an assistant move the steering wheel slightly while you work your way down through all the potential causes of slop. The steering wheel needs to move only through the range of the loose motion- not enough to move the front tires. Engine OFF.

Column joints > rack > rack mount > tie rods.

When you find the point of transition from things are moving to things are stationary you’ll know exactly what you have.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
It’s very easy to check for yourself. Have an assistant move the steering wheel slightly while you work your way down through all the potential causes of slop. The steering wheel needs to move only through the range of the loose motion- not enough to move the front tires. Engine OFF.

Column joints > rack > rack mount > tie rods.

When you find the point of transition from things are moving to things are stationary you’ll know exactly what you have.
Spot on advice.

OP
OP

670hoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks, I did all of the above and the 'slop' when you just wiggle the wheel side to side does seem to be in the eps unit and it seems like it's coming from very close to where the shaft comes out on the passenger side. Now to try to figure out if I can fix the rack instead or replacing it. New ones are very expensive, refurbs are out of stock across the country, and I'm not excited about buying a used one out of a wreck that may have hidden damage such as a slighly bent shaft.