Please Help! 2014 tradesman Uconnect 3.0 rebooting every 2 minutes.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Horsetrader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Hi Y’all. First time poster and first time Ram owner.

Bought a 14 tradesman with the Uconnect 3.0 that has blue tooth and back up camera but no navigation. Truck is for my son and even though everything is excellent I’m having a problem with the radio.

The radio is rebooting every 2 minutes and 18ish seconds. I’ve searched on forum and google for the past 2 days and haven’t found exactly what to do the fix it other than getting a new unit or buying an after market radio. I’ve checked to make sure there wasn’t an update for the Uconnect but the site said it was up to date. Using VIN number.

All we want is to have a regular radio, hook up phone with blue tooth (to play music) and back up camera. I don’t need compass, navigation, or microphone to talk through phone. Or the buttons on the steering wheel to work.

Is there a way to fix this myself or will it need to go to a dealer? Anyway we can turn off Uconnect and just have regular radio?

How about if I buy a Uconnect 5.0 head unit, will it slide right in place of other radio and plug and play with already installed components (back up camera, etc)? Would we still have this problem with the 5.0?

If we go after market we would need to purchase and run cables for new back up camera correct? Which after market radio would work best?

Anyway we just want some consistent tunes. Lol

Thanks for the help and please advise what would be the best way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I’m no help but my 5.0 did the same thing and I ditched it for an 8.4.
You can put in a 5.0.

OP
OP
H

Horsetrader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
This is the radio we have I think it’s a RA2.

IMG_0272.jpg

OP
OP
H

Horsetrader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Or is that the 5.0?

All paper work I have from dealer says Uconnect 3.0.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Horsetrader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
That's the uConnect 5.0 RA2. Is you want to replace it the PN list in this thread will help. Any 13-17/18 Ra2 'should' work.

Thanks Mpgrimm.

Do you Think the head unit is bad?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
There's a good chance... Possibly a cold solder joint on a circuit board/bad capacitor acting up one it starts to warm up.
Could also be a pin is bent/nearly broken in the connector.

M² Mods.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Since you just purchased the truck there should be some sort of warranty on it by the dealer ?

OP
OP
H

Horsetrader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Since you just purchased the truck there should be some sort of warranty on it by the dealer ?

Yes there is but dealership is a hour and a half away and was just trying to see if this was something I could repair without making the drive.

I actually called the dealer Friday and they are going to call me Monday with an appointment to bring it by.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Yes there is but dealership is a hour and a half away and was just trying to see if this was something I could repair without making the drive.

I actually called the dealer Friday and they are going to call me Monday with an appointment to bring it by.

Thats a bummer.. Ill see if I can find the links about the issues like yours

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

Duane Pipes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have a 5.0 radio, code, and bezel for sale if u decide to replace it. No scratches. From my 2018

OP
OP
H

Horsetrader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Thanks for the help and replies. Here is an update:

Truck has been at dealership since Monday waiting on a new unit. Dealership was gonna replace with a new unit. As of this morning, the new replacement 5.0 unit is on back order with no timetable on delivery. They asked if I would be ok with them sending my radio off to get repaired (refurbished) as they would most probably get it repaired sooner this way. I told them I don’t care I just want a working radio and my truck back. As I’m currently driving a loaner truck from dealership. But estimated time on getting my truck back from the dealership is now next Friday or the week after. They said it would take 5-7 days for repairs to be made on my existing unit, but this was still the quicker option on getting it repaired.

I’m thankful that the dealership is going to repair the unit free of charge, and gave me a loaner vehicle, but this is starting to get frustrating. hope I don’t encounter anymore issues after these repairs are made.

Btw, my loaner vehicle is Chevy Colorado 2WD V6 CC and my dodge 1500 4WD CC gets better gas mileage than this Colorado does. my son and I both said this little truck is trash. Lol