PLEASE HELP! 2015 Ram EcoDiesel, Dealer Says Low Fuel Pressure after HPFP.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fookenmonkey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 V6 EcoDiesel
Hello everyone got a big problem that should’ve been solved by now. I’m gonna tell you from the beginning I bought a 2015 Ram EcoDiesel back in Sept. 2020 and it broke down in Oct. 2020. It has 79,*** miles on it. Had the truck for 3 weeks and I stomped on the fuel pedal for some get up and go while getting on the highway and it sputtered, then stalled and couldn’t get it to start. Towed to my local Ram Dealer

Should also throw in I have lifetime power train through the dealer I bought it from (Holman’s GMC) and a extended warranty that covers all electrical components through Premier.

So here’s where it becomes annoying, it arrived at Mount Orab Ram back in October 2020, it is now January 11, 2021. The truck has been at the dealer for 3 months now. They said it had low fuel pressure after the high pressure fuel pump.

Within the 3 months they have replaced the high pressure fuel pump, PCM, and a fuel pressure sensor. They claim they have “Tested every part” in the fuel system. Even dropped the trans to check for a sensor I can’t remember the name of. Well none of that has worked.

Has anyone had this issue or similar? I’m losing my mind on this. I’m also starting to think the mechanic at Ram is incompetent. I could literally rebuild that motor, and the whole truck in that time frame. Please I need some suggestions or fixes to tell them.

Ram Corporate has been no help to them. First they talked with a service guy for 2 weeks then that service guy ran out of things. Now they are talking to an EcoDiesel expert from Ram. Why didn’t they do that from the get go?

JEFF MANN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ECODIESEL
Is this the only forum where you have posted? Theres a couple of guys on EcoDieselRam.com that are pretty knowledgeable on these things. I hear theres not a lot of competent techs available for them. Best wishes.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'm guessing the part the checked when they pulled the transmission was the reluctor ring. Did they check the fuel tank lift pump?

OP
OP
Fookenmonkey

Fookenmonkey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 V6 EcoDiesel
@crash68 yeah that is what they checked! I’m going to call the dealer up today and get the exact list of replaced parts. The mechanic seems to call off quite a bit at least 1 day a week and one time he was gone for a whole week. I get it things happen. Every time though it’s the day he is supposed to work on my truck.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
@Fookenmonkey hopefully they replaced the reluctor ring and crank position sensor while they had it apart, there have been few reports of them going bad the sensor not so much.
If the replaced the HPFP those usually have to be installed timed correctly with the engine.
Your probably correct about the tech working on your truck as incompetent, the number of good gas mechanics is low and for diesel there are less.

OP
OP
Fookenmonkey

Fookenmonkey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 V6 EcoDiesel
@crash68 i don’t think they replaced it I think they just “Tested” it. I’m getting ahold of the dealer I bought if from that has my lifetime powertrain and I’m basically going to tell them to get something done. I don’t care if the engine needs replaced fix the damn thing already. 3 months is absurd

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
I would hope they replaced the reluctor ring and crank position sensor when they seperated the engine and tranny,
if I was to guess I would have blamed that for the initial failure.
If they didn't replace it I wouldn't be surprised if that is still not the issue,
and from what I hear that component is almost impossible to locate at this time as it is on a recall with no replacement parts yet.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hello everyone got a big problem that should’ve been solved by now. I’m gonna tell you from the beginning I bought a 2015 Ram EcoDiesel back in Sept. 2020 and it broke down in Oct. 2020. It has 79,*** miles on it. Had the truck for 3 weeks and I stomped on the fuel pedal for some get up and go while getting on the highway and it sputtered, then stalled and couldn’t get it to start. Towed to my local Ram Dealer

Should also throw in I have lifetime power train through the dealer I bought it from (Holman’s GMC) and a extended warranty that covers all electrical components through Premier.

So here’s where it becomes annoying, it arrived at Mount Orab Ram back in October 2020, it is now January 11, 2021. The truck has been at the dealer for 3 months now. They said it had low fuel pressure after the high pressure fuel pump.

Within the 3 months they have replaced the high pressure fuel pump, PCM, and a fuel pressure sensor. They claim they have “Tested every part” in the fuel system. Even dropped the trans to check for a sensor I can’t remember the name of. Well none of that has worked.

Has anyone had this issue or similar? I’m losing my mind on this. I’m also starting to think the mechanic at Ram is incompetent. I could literally rebuild that motor, and the whole truck in that time frame. Please I need some suggestions or fixes to tell them.

Ram Corporate has been no help to them. First they talked with a service guy for 2 weeks then that service guy ran out of things. Now they are talking to an EcoDiesel expert from Ram. Why didn’t they do that from the get go?

Hey there!

I'm sorry to hear about the concerns you're having. Unfortunately, COVID-19 has placed an immense amount of stress on our supplier operations and I apologize for the inconveniences you're experiencing. However, I'd like to look into this further for you. Would you mind sending our RamCares team a private message with your current mileage & VIN?

Courtney
Ram Cares

Raymond1050

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
eco diesel 3.0
Your not the only one to have troubles with Ram dealers. In five years dealers have my ED four months. In the shop now for two weeks waiting on a DEF pump. As soon as I get it back I will go for a new gas truck. Love my ED but to many problems.

OP
OP
Fookenmonkey

Fookenmonkey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 V6 EcoDiesel
@Raymond1050 yeah I love the truck and have a lifetime powertrain and 2 year extended electrical warranty. Now that’s all good and well but when it has to sit in a shop for 3 months and still isn’t out. Then what? So I’m going to call my dealership today (Holman’s GMC) and ask them to buy back or let me trade that for something else. They are losing their ass on it anyways.

Raymond1050

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
eco diesel 3.0
Follow up, can't find the truck I want, still looking. As for DEF injector and tubing replace. $900.00 but under class action warranty $0.

aceboogie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Ecodiesel
Where you able to make any progress on this, my 14 is having the same issue

Manrobcool

Reaction score
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel

I'm driving a 21 ecodiesel, been in the shop for almost 3 months, STAR is no help and Stellanis is not much help either. Last update I got was that a tech trainer and an engineer were supposed to be coming to the dealership to diagnose themselves, but that was 2 weeks ago.

FrankBrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L ecodiesel
My 2017 ram ecodiesel is in the same boat. Truck stalled driving down the road, towed it to the dealership and they said the HPFP was dead. They replaced it and it still won't start. They are telling me it won't make the right pressure and they have Ram engineers helping out but they can't get it running. It's been at the dealership for 6 weeks now.

cgbjake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Hope you monitor your email, I'd love to hear what ended up being your problem. Shut mine off 4 days ago and 20 minutes later, no start! The dodge dealer said after 6 hours of diagnostics it was the HPFP. Replaced that, still no start. Another day down of troubleshooting with no results. Any resolution to the above problems?

FrankBrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L ecodiesel
Dealership has replaced the hpdp and pcm with no luck of getting it to start. They are now pulling the transmission to check the reluctor wheel. Going on 13 weeks in the shop now. I can't believe it's taking this long to figure out the problem..

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Another 1 post wonder bites the dust.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Dealership has replaced the hpdp and pcm with no luck of getting it to start. They are now pulling the transmission to check the reluctor wheel. Going on 13 weeks in the shop now. I can't believe it's taking this long to figure out the problem..
Lemon law ?

FrankBrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L ecodiesel
Lemon law ?
I'm not the original owner and I'm at 55k miles.
Latest from the dealership is the injectors passed tests and they are getting some, but not full, pressure at the rail. They've replaced the HPFP twice and replaced the PCM. They said they are getting good pressure out of the lift pump. They are currently pulling the fuel rail and checking out the pressure regulator.