Please help hemi with new cam bad misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Did you ever figure this out I am having the same problem replaced lifters and cam because of cam wear new timing chain gears and tensioner and is misfiring on 6,7,8, any help would be appreciated it is a 2009 dodge ram 1500 with 5.7

Most of the time it’s a pushrod has fallen out of the rocker.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you ever figure this out I am having the same problem replaced lifters and cam because of cam wear new timing chain gears and tensioner and is misfiring on 6,7,8, any help would be appreciated it is a 2009 dodge ram 1500 with 5.7
Like mentioned above pull both valve covers make sure rods are clicked in and all are moving its very easy to not click them in and also put them in the wrong holes.

idratherbquading

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have done this all valve move as they should I have also checked timing and can find nothing wrong

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have done this all valve move as they should I have also checked timing and can find nothing wrong
Check compression and then check the push rods another time if one if them is low on compression. I took vlave covers off many times for 1 stupid push rod I didnt see that was out of place. Also when you set the timing did you remove oil pump and line the marks up the right way or did you do it with the pump on and make your own marks.

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi 4X4 Crew White/Chrome
Definitely check compression. Then I would make sure that the pushrods are DEFINITELY seated. Also, verify paperwork on your cam, make sure its an MDS cam. Also verify TIPM and the ECU cables are all seated. Check the grounds at back of heads. If all that checks out, pull intake and make sure MDS solenoids are plugged in. Then I would verify that all injectors are spraying (I had an injector fail after my rebuild). Then I would pull everything off and check timing marks on bottom sprocket behind the oil pump and the cam phaser sprocket timing mark are all good. I also messed my timing up my first time. But definitely start with a compression test. I had actually manually bent a valve while trying to time mine after cam/lifter install...

idratherbquading

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have verified timing and checked compression in a few of the misfiring cylinders and I have compression and spark I will check injector pulse next but the few cylinders I have checked the plugs have come out a little wet and smelling like gas so I assumed my injectors were firing is it possible the crank is 180 out I initially set the timing with the heads off not sure if the crank sensor is smart enough to know if crank is on on compression stroke or not or am I just over thinking this

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have verified timing and checked compression in a few of the misfiring cylinders and I have compression and spark I will check injector pulse next but the few cylinders I have checked the plugs have come out a little wet and smelling like gas so I assumed my injectors were firing is it possible the crank is 180 out I initially set the timing with the heads off not sure if the crank sensor is smart enough to know if crank is on on compression stroke or not or am I just over thinking this
It’s not possible for the crank to be 180° off… tdc on piston 1 is all that matters.

what stroke you’re on is determined by the head. Shortblock don’t care.

idratherbquading

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok didn't think so but needed to hear it confirmed thanks for the help I will check the rocker arms one more time but everytime I've checked it all rocker arms are moving the same amount and I have compression in all cylinders im really stumped I've even reached out to the company I got the kit from

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963