Please listen to this tick / rattle sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

meltino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi, I recently bought an 05 ram 1500 with the four seven in it.
It had a loud exhaust tick, both exhaust manifolds were leaking (broken bolts).
I replaced the manifolds, but I notice a new ticking or rattling sound.

Can i get your opinion on what it is?

NOTE: the sound starts at 16 seconds into the video, it can't be heard in the beginning

Thanks guys

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lifter ticking is what it sounds like to me.

I would get a quality oil filter (NAPA Platinum or Gold or similar), 1 qt. of Rislone, 0-30 oil (no heavier than 5-30 and lighter would work in the winter there) AND then change the oil and filter - replacing 1 qt. of your oil with the qt of Rislone.
Drive normally until next oil change and see if it goes away - often will as the Rislone is a very gentle cleaner.

OP
OP
meltino

meltino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the reply. All new oil when i bought it, I went with the OE plugs and 5w30 full synthetic with the premium filter. Also cleaned the oil pickup screen as well. This was 1k miles ago, the oil still looks great. Should I empty 1 qt and add the Rislone to the existing oil?

OP
OP
meltino

meltino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just an update, decided not to try the cleaner, I ordered new lifters, and improved rocker arms to increase oil flow and will be installing those soon, and will also be running redline in the truck, will update with the sound.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For now put 15 oz. Lube Gard Bio tech engine treatment, I may quiet that lifter down, but wait till 500 -1000 miles for it to quiet down. Please let us know

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atomota