Please please help grind and clunking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I believe op mentioned the noise coming from hub area. Could be something simple like blown universals. That would account for grinding and clunking noise in that area.
Even with blown u-joints the truck would still move in 2wd,unless the driveshaft physically fell out from under the truck.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I hate when ask for advice , and its a simple thing to check out , but argue then just take off.
Back in the past before the internet, kids just buckled down and got her done.
My son built his first truck when he was 14 yrs old Mind you this newer stuff is a whole different kettle of fish. But when you blow up rear ends doing stupid stuff, that has never changed. My brother took the gears out of my 58 Edsel with the 410 a couple of times.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hate when ask for advice , and its a simple thing to check out , but argue then just take off.
My son built his first truck when he was 14 yrs old Mind you this newer stuff is a whole different kettle of fish. But when you blow up rear ends doing stupid stuff, that has never changed. My brother took the gears out of my 58 Edsel with the 410 a couple of times.

Yeah it’s frustrating when people genuinely try to help out and the OP only does diagnostics from their couch. All the “I was told” “that’s what I heard” “not what I read” BS gets old.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah it’s frustrating when people genuinely try to help out and the OP only does diagnostics from their couch. All the “I was told” “that’s what I heard” “not what I read” BS gets old.
He was on facebook to,and i don't think he took any of the advice he got on facebook either.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He was on facebook to,and i don't think he took any of the advice he got on facebook either.

He probably would have found his problem if he listened to you. From what little I understood it sure sounded like his rear diff was screeewed after beating on the vehicle.

truck2569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2016 ram 1500 when in 2wd and in drive it’ll sit there clunking and wanna just rev but 4 lock the clunk goes away I’m not sure how to add a video it’s only giving option for photo but the drive shaft is good and drives just fine in 4 lock obv the front is pulling the truck but idk why the sound goes away what could it be

My first thought you shelled your rear differential. Have you even pulled the cover of it yet to see.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I think he posts as Alex Young on facebook,and he finally got around to pulling the diff cover and take pictures. He's destroyed the spider gears.Also doesn't really have the money to fix it properly,so he's trying to find ways to nickel and dime it back together.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think he posts as Alex Young on facebook,and he finally got around to pulling the diff cover and take pictures. He's destroyed the spider gears.Also doesn't really have the money to fix it properly,so he's trying to find ways to nickel and dime it back together.
If you have no money, sometimes you have to nickel and dime....but, if you don't have any money, don't drive your vehicle like a maniac and tear it up.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If you have no money, sometimes you have to nickel and dime....but, if you don't have any money, don't drive your vehicle like a maniac and tear it up.
My nephew would do that with his vehicles. Took him awhile to learn not to abuse the vehicles you rely on every day, get a beater for fun.

He was always running through mud holes and woods and such. Never repacked wheel bearings, etc.

Takes a while to grow up sometimes. The op will get there eventually.

I my case, I never had/have the money to afford to pay someone to fix my vehicles, so it forced me to learn how to take care of and to do stuff, and how to find out how to do it if I didn't know. Still learning, too.

Something all of us have lived through.

I am so thankful for this awesome site.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

alexander122

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I have zero issue tearing **** apart I’m really good at breaking **** but even better at breaking **** tearing it apart the reason I didn’t want to was it was still drivable to do what I absolutely needed if I pulled the cover I’d have to start then an there but ended up being spiders swapped the rear end and just working out the little kinds and problems I’m having since swapping it

OP
OP
A

alexander122

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When Dad stops paying the bills for stupid, some wise up, But some never do.
Your silly I don’t even have a dad but yeah he does spoil me maybe one day we’ll even get him to sign the birth certificate so my mom that must have money can pay for the parts I need and want

OP
OP
A

alexander122

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My nephew would do that with his vehicles. Took him awhile to learn not to abuse the vehicles you rely on every day, get a beater for fun.

He was always running through mud holes and woods and such. Never repacked wheel bearings, etc.

Takes a while to grow up sometimes. The op will get there eventually.

I my case, I never had/have the money to afford to pay someone to fix my vehicles, so it forced me to learn how to take care of and to do stuff, and how to find out how to do it if I didn't know. Still learning, too.

Something all of us have lived through.

I am so thankful for this awesome site.

I understand that sa
Can’t fix stupid

I know right.. also can’t give any f%cos when you already don’t care long as the thing drives straight

I nickeled and Diming it together for less then $1000 with fluids additives any extra tools needed and got the anti slip rear assembly with 31k on it so I’d say win in my opinion

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I understand that sa

I know right.. also can’t give any f%cos when you already don’t care long as the thing drives straight

I nickeled and Diming it together for less then $1000 with fluids additives any extra tools needed and got the anti slip rear assembly with 31k on it so I’d say win in my opinion
Well good on you.Glad you got it fixed finally.