plenum gasket; now or later?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

regcabsplz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Currently doing a few things in the engine bay, I’m pretty sure the previous owner(s) didn’t do the plenum gasket on this engine but from what I can tell it is intact and functional. purchased the truck with 110K miles I’m a little over 122K now.

is there a certain mileage that I can count on it needing done or is it just a ticking time bomb that I should take care of sooner rather than later?

thanks in advance.

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
If it's leaking fix it. If not then it's up to you to decide. I've been told you can stick a magnet down thru the throttle body and if it has oil on the end of it then it's leaking.

Robeffy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 TD
Mine intake went, while I was towing a small RV trailer... I had horrible gas mileage, and the engine knocked on any load at all. No knocking at idle or going down hills. I joked that I was burning more engine oil than gasoline....Nearly 1000 km drive home..
When I pulled the intake, and took it apart, the inside of the intake was oily as heck...
The kit from Hughes did the trick, and has a lifetime guarantee.
My truck instantly ran way better, and after I replaced the plugged CAT, power like crazy, from a 318 / automagic, stock rear gears. I find myself pulling away from most cars and trucks at the lights.
If you have a problem with this, the Mass Air Flow does not measure the air being sucked in thru the crankcase, so the engine runs lean. A great way to get knock, and if you ignore it, you can really wreck the motor.
It was quite a few hours work, but well worth it.
While the intake was apart I looked up a simple upgrade to the runners on the intake, a die grinder did the job, I assume it was good for a few hp. I also gasket matched the intake and new gaskets to the head, cleaned up the runners a bit.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
^ Pretty much what he said.

In my case, my engine was burning half a quart of oil about every 150 miles. Knocked like hell under load and cold starts eventually began yielding a less-than-amusing cloud of blue smoke. I don't even wanna begin to recount how many spark plugs met their end during this era.

After removing the manifold (and breaking one bolt in each head, %@%&*^$@!@$%^&!), I removed the pan, and what used to be a gasket came off in something like six, rock-hard pieces.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
probly look into the manifold and see if theres a bunch of oil. even if its leaking but the engine runs fine theres no urgency to change it. i suspect mine leaked for years as it would need a qaurt every 3k during highway driving. still ran well. no smoke ever. never did replace it before i sold the truck. it looked like a fairly easy job though