Plus minus problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dougt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does any body no why my+\_does not work on my colum **** I am un able to get the lower gears

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 10

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
is that for cruse control speed...

OP
OP
D

Dougt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No that is my plus minus button and it not working need to know what wrong so I can get lower gears

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
ERS, which is on the column shift manual gear selector switch, or console mounted shifter

You can switch between DRIVE and ERS mode at any vehicle speed. When the shift lever is in the DRIVE position, the transmission will operate automatically, shifting between all available gears. Tapping the shift lever to the left (-) (console shift) or the ERS (-) switch (column shift) will activate ERS mode, display the current gear in the instrument cluster, and maintain that gear as the top available gear. Once in ERS mode, tapping the shift lever to the left (-) or right (+) (console shift) or the ERS (-) or (+) switch (column shift) will change the top available gear.
If everything is working properly:

When you start up your truck & put it in Drive, you are in First Gear, as your wheels start rotating, the truck automatically goes to 2nd gear, etc.
Once you are in any gear above First Gear, you can move the ERS button to the - position, it should back down 1 gear position. Once you are up to speed in say 4th gear, you can press the + button & the transmission will shift to 5th gear, do it twice & it will shift to 6th.

OP
OP
D

Dougt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes if everything works properly as my button is on the shift leaver I can pet it in to drive and go but when button is pressed there is nothing there to show

OP
OP
D

Dougt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could the era be not working or the switch no good

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I hadn't used the +/- switch in my truck for quite a while (couple yrs ago) I had the same issue. Then I moved the rocker switch back/fourth 30 times, maybe more. Then it began working. Now it works like it should and I try to use it periodically to keep the switch clean inside. Haven't had problems since. Worth a try.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
the newer Rams have that switch on the steering wheel & people have had to slap the steering wheel to make it work.
Others have used a can of air & tried blowing out the switch

OP
OP
D

Dougt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ll get a can of air and I’ll try to blow out the switch but somebody said there might be a fuse I don’t know if that’s true or not or if you know anything about that thanks for your answer

OP
OP
D

Dougt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Will that didn’t work would like to find out so I can have the lower gears for my trailer coming down the mountain

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Didn't figure it would. Hard to get at the actual switch. Did you try moving the rocker back/fourth 50 times? Did you check under the dash to make sure the wire connector is still plugged in? Might be worth hooking up a multi-meter to the connector to see if the problem is really the switch. See if it closes the circuit when you operate the switch.

Otherwise, IDK if the lever/switch assembly can be disassembled (???). That would be worth searching out.

OP
OP
D

Dougt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Will thank you I will try and find the other end see what’s there I can put a meter on it if I find Hope between the ideas here we can all figure it out

OP
OP
D

Dougt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, I checked all the wires underneath everything is hooked up. I got readings coming through there and I got readings on the fuses coming through to, so yeah so I’ll have to see if that switch can be dismantled and check that way.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Go to wrecker, get new switch. Given you have power it is likely the switch.

OP
OP
D

Dougt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ya ok then I have to take whole ******* arm that is where button is

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Ya ok then I have to take whole ******* arm that is where button is
True, which will be a whole lot less expensive than a new part, and far easier to change than trying to take the switch apart.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There's a good chance you can disassemble the microswitch, clean and put back together. Worth a shot before ordering parts. If you get it apart, let us know what the process is. I may need to do that sometime too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio