Polarized Sunglasses and Uconnect Screens

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Weebear

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I have been shopping for new sunglasses and ran across something that I have never seen before. Apparently there are a lot of complaints regarding polarized sunglasses (something I am considering) interfering with the ability to clearly see infotainment screens. Apparently it has something to do with the visual wavelength of LCD screens matching up with the visual wavelength that polarized sunglasses are designed to block to prevent glare, etc.

Have any of you run into any issues with polarized sunglasses making it difficult to see or read the Uconnect screens (media, Nav, Apps, etc.)

I have a 2019 Rebel with the 8.4 Uconnect screen.

Any information anyone can share would be very helpful. I think I have narrowed down my select on the sunglasses and both models are polarized – but I don’t want to purchase something that is going to make it hard to read my screens.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Liter Cummins
I had this issue with polarized sunglasses on my Tundra and thought that would be the same with my Uconnect 3C 8.4 on my 2014 so I am not sure if the 8.4 has changed to the new 2019. No issues whatsoever though. I have two pairs of polarized sunglasses (different tones) and both of them I can see the screen easily and no interference. No issues with the backup camera either.

Hope this helps!

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I have some Bomber Eyewear sunglass, the window tint looks weird, but get used to it. And I can see my screen just fine.

OP
OP
Weebear

Weebear

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I had this issue with polarized sunglasses on my Tundra and thought that would be the same with my Uconnect 3C 8.4 on my 2014 so I am not sure if the 8.4 has changed to the new 2019. No issues whatsoever though. I have two pairs of polarized sunglasses (different tones) and both of them I can see the screen easily and no interference. No issues with the backup camera either.

Hope this helps!

Yes, that definitely helps. I appreciate the input. My wife says she has not had any problems with her polarized sunglasses in her Mazda6, but wanted someone with experience with the Uconnect system (and, duh, it did not occur to me to try her sunglasses in my truck until just now – talk about a brain cloud! !)

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
My Nissan Titan's screen (depending on how you tilted your head) would go dark with polarized glasses.

OP
OP
Weebear

Weebear

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I have some Bomber Eyewear sunglass, the window tint looks weird, but get used to it. And I can see my screen just fine.

Kewl! Thanks. This is the stuff I wanted to hear. As long as I can see the screen okay, I should be GTG!

Out of curiosity, though - when you say your window tint looks "weird", I shouldn't be expecting any hallucinogenic visions or anything right? :)

OP
OP
Weebear

Weebear

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
My Nissan Titan's screen (depending on how you tilted your head) would go dark with polarized glasses.

What year is your Nissan? Is it newer or older?

[BTW - I love your signature quote. Too true!]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Liter Cummins

I agree with this - but again as you put it - you get used to it. This is pretty close to what I can see on other car's back windows when driving behind them but the tint on my truck does not interfere at all:

JOUcT.jpg

ps - got this pic off google search so not my own picture

Don_T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can actually see the navigation screen better with my polarized sunglasses than without.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Add me in for another that hasn't had any problems with them, on my 13 or 17. Heard that same thing before I bought them years ago and had forgotten about it til you made this thread today, but I can't recall ever having any issues over the years.

OP
OP
Weebear

Weebear

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Add me in for another that hasn't had any problems with them, on my 13 or 17. Heard that same thing before I bought them years ago and had forgotten about it til you made this thread today, but I can't recall ever having any issues over the years.

Awesome news, guys! I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Serengetis that should be here on Friday. I'm having them sent to my office, so my test run will be the drive home that day!

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Kewl! Thanks. This is the stuff I wanted to hear. As long as I can see the screen okay, I should be GTG!

Out of curiosity, though - when you say your window tint looks "weird", I shouldn't be expecting any hallucinogenic visions or anything right? :)
LOL no, but easy to get used too.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wear prescription eyewear with Transition lenses that I believe are polarized. No problem with the 8.4 screen before or after I installed a glass screen protector to it.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/uconnect-touch-screen-screen-protector.134085/#post-1920074

Funny, in bright sun light at gas stations with lcd displays I can’t see anything on the display when pumping gas when my glasses are at full tint. Same goes for my Garmin GPS screen depending on sun light conditions. Interesting topic!

T.

Last edited:

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
What year is your Nissan? Is it newer or older?

[BTW - I love your signature quote. Too true!]

My Titan was a 2010. I loved it, but because I got such a good deal on a Ram 2500 and I didn't need 2 trucks I sold it. When you tilted your head left or right, the display would disappear. I don't recall having that problem with the new Ram, but since I bought it, I have been working remotely and my wife has kinda taken it over. I might have to get myself one....

Here's a quick and dirty explanation of why polarized glasses affect vision of LCD displays.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/style/advice/a7989/a-glaring-problem/

I've never been able to keep expensive glasses around long because I end up losing, breaking or having them fly off my face while jet skiing so I usually go with middle of the road pairs. My prescription glasses are polarized but I don't do anything but drive with those and they are kinda attached to my truck.

Yeah, I read that quote and had to steal it for my sig....Our 2nd amendment rights are being systematically dismantled one tiny "common sense" law at a time.

OP
OP
Weebear

Weebear

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
My Titan was a 2010. I loved it, but because I got such a good deal on a Ram 2500 and I didn't need 2 trucks I sold it. When you tilted your head left or right, the display would disappear. I don't recall having that problem with the new Ram, but since I bought it, I have been working remotely and my wife has kinda taken it over. I might have to get myself one....

Here's a quick and dirty explanation of why polarized glasses affect vision of LCD displays.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/style/advice/a7989/a-glaring-problem/

I've never been able to keep expensive glasses around long because I end up losing, breaking or having them fly off my face while jet skiing so I usually go with middle of the road pairs. My prescription glasses are polarized but I don't do anything but drive with those and they are kinda attached to my truck.

Yeah, I read that quote and had to steal it for my sig....Our 2nd amendment rights are being systematically dismantled one tiny "common sense" law at a time.

Without trying to hijack this thread and going too far off-topic, I agree - unfortunately with soooooo many politicians, "common sense" is not that common.

I saw that article. It was one of the reasons I posted this thread, but I also saw a few that noted that newer infotainment screens did not have this problem, so I thought I would ask around. I am glad I did.