POLL: Body style, Which do you prefer, 4th gen./classic or 5th gen.?

Body style: which do you prefer 4th gen./classic or 5th gen?

• 4th gen/classic

Votes: 204 73.4%
  • 5th gen

Votes: 74 26.6%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First off, I think you mean quad.... headlights. I don’t think the badass projector headlights were available until 2016 or 2017

the 2013 Ram Larmie Long Horn had the Projector headlight from the factory which NO bulb was out to fix the poor output at the time of ownership...........

Ok so, I stand corrected on how far back the premium projector headlights goes, which is awesome because if you had those headlights..... and not those cheesy quads then you have/had some of the very best factory headlights that I think I’ve ever had in my life. Even the really fancy Anzo brand aftermarket headlights that I had on my old truck that were about $350 a piece, that were pretty much set up just like these stock headlights are with the low beam projector and the highbeam reflector but with the added in white LEDs and CCFL‘s, those aftermarket headlights still weren’t even as good as the headlights that came on my brand new truck that I bought three years ago. And that was even with the upgraded ZxE Sylvania’s.

And once again, like I said before, yes….....the factory bulbs that come in those headlights are complete ****. But don’t sit there and tell me that they can’t be made better because like I said, if you had practically the same headlights that I do now, I’m telling you......they can be made better if you just put the right bulbs in them; and, they don’t even have to be HID and LED. Even just a simple upgrade to the Sylvania halogen ZxE, was more than plenty to make those headlights to where you could see where you’re going down the road. If you don’t wanna believe that then I guess that’s your problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Victor Kelley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4th gen for looks, but I had a 5th gen as a loaner and it drove even nicer. Has more of a white collar look than 4th gen. I would go for a new classic if I had to suddenly replace mine.

GeoffreyXE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been lucky to own three different generations of Dodge Dakotas and two generations of Ram. My favorite Dakotas are the mid 90s with a Magnum v6 and manual 5 speed. Those trucks had power and were efficient at the same time. Felt good and solid driving down the highway too.

My favorite Ram is the 4th gen. I owned a 5th gen for over a year and loved the looks at first. But with it being a lemon out the gate now when I see a 5th gen that's what I think about. Broken down garbage that will be a problem for its owner past, present or future.

The 4th gen is simple compared to the 5th gen but that's the beauty of the 4th gen. I love being able to work out of my truck and not having to worry about it. Just a reliable tool on the jobsite and not an over complex pos that wants more attention than a popsicle stick in a wood chipper :)

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
WAIT for it.................have U owned both ??? Rest my case. Our 19 is LIGHT years ahead of our 13. We loved the 13, cam change and others issues was $12K cause we bought used, not from lack of maintence. Dealer gave us $$$$ and dump it.

BTW, could never drive the truck on low beam at night, worse lights ever on a truck......

I also went from a '12 to a '19. Love most everything about the '19 (interior, better headlights, etc.) BUT looks-wise while the '19 is growing on me, I still like the 4th Gen body style better. That being said, I will "evolve" with the body style changes and refuse to be a stubborn hold-out, because time moves forward and eventually you will have to concede or change brands.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also went from a '12 to a '19. Love most everything about the '19 (interior, better headlights, etc.) BUT looks-wise while the '19 is growing on me, I still like the 4th Gen body style better. That being said, I will "evolve" with the body style changes and refuse to be a stubborn hold-out, because time moves forward and eventually you will have to concede or change brands.

I guess maybe I could perhaps be considered a stubborn hold-out but, although I’ve said I think the new body-style looks much better on the new HD’s- just a little over three years ago when I bought my new truck, I considered waiting for the reveal of the new 5th Gen but first and foremost when they finally revealed it, what they revealed was pretty much the same thing as what I saw in all the leaked photos posted here and searching on Google so I’m pretty glad I didn’t hold my breath and wait. Lol.

At least in my situation, whenever it comes time again to get a new truck, maybe they will have come up with something better by then or at least they’ll have worked all the bugs out of these. Either way, since she’s only got 30k on the clock for only being three years old and since she’s been very well taken care of, I should have at least another 7 or 8 years before I even need to worry about whether or not when that time comes if I’m gonna concede, actually feel like I don’t have to concede or change brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was lost once and thought I would never even consider a 5th gen.. until I spotted a Laramie sport equipped how I would order it and drove it and had to have it. After all these years it was time for the 4th gen to be updated.

I agreed 4th gens generally look better then most 5th gens ( I say most but 5th gens optioned right aka led package and sport package look so much better) and got rid of what I hated about the 5th gens the most (location of the hood badges looked terrible and the halogen lights looked awful, I said this about the 4th gen halogens too). Glad the rears stayed virtually the same. Chrome was never an option lol painted bumpers only for me

660cd6f910823ff12b1a3d93a6692f18.jpg
-not a fan took a step back in looks

ea43a070d27c914daadf437ebe3308a5.jpg
-perfection.

And go course the rebels look good in any gen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Flame Red Rebel

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Hemi Hybrid
U all miss it, 5th Gen rebel does not look any thing like Big Horn.

I went 13 larmie longhorn to a 19 Rebel.

Do not like the 5 Gen anything with Chrome.

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
5th Gen hands down. Have had both gens and although I loved my 2016, the 2020 is a better looking body style. I didn't think that way at first glance of them, but the style grew on me very quickly .

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had 4th gen BH and now have 5th gen Laramie w27,000 mi. No issues with either.

Loved the 4th but love the 5th even more. Interior & ride is amazing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Granite Ghost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am in agreement with a lot on here that the 5th gen looks good but for me is just a little too busy in the front. The 4th generation has a great attitude looking front end and with a couple of mods make a intimidating if not mean eat you up looking front end. If you add any mods to the front of a 5th generation it just gets a lot more busy in the front. Before and after images are attached

99FFA398-994D-4E65-8B1F-536006BAF292.jpeg

C22E3831-7D10-4F3F-8FC5-139B36E5E8B5.jpeg

5086BE3E-EB7A-46C0-9B23-218ED020A886.jpeg

Mark DeRoncey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Place the 5th gen interior in the 4th gen body and you have the perfect truck. The 5th gen exterior is just too generic for my taste. They completely lost the bold character of the Ram. ALL the truck makers, with each new model, have a lazy habit of adding design elements from each of the other truck brands until they are all almost indistinguishable from one another. Then boom! big reset.

TimboRam77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I had Leno’s money and hanger space I would have both. The 17 limited interior I had was great however the 5th gen really raised the bar. Exterior Looks are subjective and the addition of led headlights was a big deal for me and that affects visually how I perceive the exterior so I prefer the 5th gen appearance. If I try to remove from my brain that perception than the 4th gen is more visually sculptured and less robotic looking so overall I would say 4th gen looks better. I just had to have the 5th gen goodies and plan on making it a self driver using comma.ai software using an interface through the diagnostic port. Turn key for Pacifica but time needed to make it work on the ram. 4th gen does not have this ability since there is no steering input.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Place the 5th gen interior in the 4th gen body and you have the perfect truck. The 5th gen exterior is just too generic for my taste. They completely lost the bold character of the Ram. ALL the truck makers, with each new model, have a lazy habit of adding design elements from each of the other truck brands until they are all almost indistinguishable from one another. Then boom! big reset.

Love my 5th gen, that's the reason I bought it. Time to move on since owning 3 4th gens

King Tut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Just bought my first truck a few months back - so I looked at them all. I had trouble seeing the corners of the front end on all the new ones until I drove the Gen 4 Ram.

If I could buy all the new stuff in the classic front end I would. You know it is a 4th Gen Ram from quite a ways off - all the others you need to get close or look from the side.

Just wish I could add the blind spot warning stuff.

Nice highway cruiser with good storage and a big gas tank - what is not to like.

atxmike53

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have driven both a 2017 of my father in laws (Lone Star Edition) and my 2019 5th gen. I prefer the 5th gen myself. Mine is the Bighorn, so it does not have all the goodies. But enough and far ore than my 07 Silverado LTZ...and way more performance! I added the LazFit led hi and low beams. Huge difference over stock.

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
I went with a 19 Classic because I wanted a RAM that looks like a RAM not a Toyota. There are a few 5th gens I like but very few. Plus when you see a 4th gen you KNOW it is a RAM . It just has a classy look about it. 5ths just look like hhhmmmm well ok it is a truck. Sorry 5th gen guys but for now I am staying with tried and true. Hard to believe I have had it now 2 years .