POLL: Body style, Which do you prefer, 4th gen./classic or 5th gen.?

Body style: which do you prefer 4th gen./classic or 5th gen?

• 4th gen/classic

Votes: 204 73.4%
  • 5th gen

Votes: 74 26.6%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Excellent replies! Keep them coming.

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had two 4'th Gen Longhorns and when I saw the 5'th Gen I had to have one, and I knew I wanted to have the split tailgate ... It all boils down to a personal preference ... Good luck in your quest ...

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just wish I could add the blind spot warning stuff.

I know this is just my opinion and I know that I don’t speak for everybody on the subject but other than looks, that was the major selling point between buying a brand new fourth GEN or waiting for the new fifth GENs to come out when they debuted in the spring of 2018.

I really hate all of that Blindspot monitoring crap with a passion. Sure, it has a lot of potential to be good but that’s too much of a reliant system that I believe causes distracted drivers to drive even more distracted when they know they don’t have to pay as much attention because the vehicle they’re driving will vibrate their ass and chime a bunch of beeps if they start drifting out a lane or if they’re not paying attention it’ll actually apply the brakes.

I think people just need to drive and stop relying on stuff that just further gives them reason to take their eyes off the road.

I don’t know if y’all remember it or not but probably over like five years ago, there was a car commercial where this gal was driving this little red car and singing while she’s daydreaming about being on American Idol or something and all the sudden she gets woken up out of her daydream from the beeps and all that as her car applies the brakes for her instead of letting her plow into the back of a stopped car because she’s not paying attention to the road. That’s exactly what I’m talking about and also kind of a ****** advertisement choice if you asked me because it proves my point. You’re putting your trust and your life in a computer and a couple of sensors.

And not only that, my radar detector’s K band has to be in a sense limited as it has to filter out all that ****...LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went with a 19 Classic because I wanted a RAM that looks like a RAM not a Toyota. There are a few 5th gens I like but very few. Plus when you see a 4th gen you KNOW it is a RAM . It just has a classy look about it. 5ths just look like hhhmmmm well ok it is a truck. Sorry 5th gen guys but for now I am staying with tried and true. Hard to believe I have had it now 2 years .

I agree. And although I still say the new ram 1500 is far better in the looks department from anything that Ford Chevy, GM, Toyota or Nissan has put out, I just still don’t care for the new look. I just kind of wonder if the new fifth gen will wind up going kind of in the same direction as they did with the new third GENs came out, where after five years of that design they changed the front end of it where it was still a third gen, but it wasnt like the original third GEN.

Maybe I’m wrong but it kind of seems to me that since they had the fourth GEN virtually unchanged for over 10 years that maybe they just tried to hard to come out with something else to make the trucks look different without putting a whole lot of thought into it. Which like I said, has something to say for why we are now into the third year of still making brand new fourth gens that people are buying.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had two 4'th Gen Longhorns and when I saw the 5'th Gen I had to have one, and I knew I wanted to have the split tailgate ... It all boils down to a personal preference ... Good luck in your quest ...

That new tailgate is pretty neat. A whole hell of a lot better than that contraption that GM has.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this is just my opinion and I know that I don’t speak for everybody on the subject but other than looks, that was the major selling point between buying a brand new fourth GEN or waiting for the new fifth GENs to come out when they debuted in the spring of 2018.

I really hate all of that Blindspot monitoring crap with a passion. Sure, it has a lot of potential to be good but that’s too much of a reliant system that I believe causes distracted drivers to drive even more distracted when they know they don’t have to pay as much attention because the vehicle they’re driving will vibrate their ass and chime a bunch of beeps if they start drifting out a lane or if they’re not paying attention it’ll actually apply the brakes.

I think people just need to drive and stop relying on stuff that just further gives them reason to take their eyes off the road.

I don’t know if y’all remember it or not but probably over like five years ago, there was a car commercial where this gal was driving this little red car and singing while she’s daydreaming about being on American Idol or something and all the sudden she gets woken up out of her daydream from the beeps and all that as her car applies the brakes for her instead of letting her plow into the back of a stopped car because she’s not paying attention to the road. That’s exactly what I’m talking about and also kind of a ****** advertisement choice if you asked me because it proves my point. You’re putting your trust and your life in a computer and a couple of sensors.

And not only that, my radar detector’s K band has to be in a sense limited as it has to filter out all that ****...LOL.

Have you owned a rig with blind spot monitoring?

I think you might be getting the lane change and blind spot mixed up.

I agree lane change feature is a pain in the butt and a distraction in my opinion but the blind spot monitoring is great feature, especially if you've got a canopy! I don't.

I use my blind spot monitoring but not the lane change.

The good thing is you can turn each feature off. You can also turn off the sound and just rely on the little light in the mirror. That's what I do.

We are wanting to buy another 4Runner for my wife
But neither one of us want to get one because they do not come with blind spot monitoring.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score

I have to agree with most of that. Can't tell you the times someone has passed me on the interstate and you watch their blind spot light on their mirror go off when they get by and almost clip your front end because they trust things like that light to much. I know I'm old school but I wish people would stop letting their car drive for them and pay attention. Never thought I'd see the day when we have CDL drivers that can't even drive a manual transmission. Guess that frees one of their hands up so they can text, which they are not supposed to do (what a joke that law is) I have a 2012 year model that does more than I'll ever need or use. The one thing I do wish my truck had is a 6 speed manual transmission, put some fun back in driving instead of 2 paddle shifters like my wifes 2014 Durango. I laugh every time I want to get sporty and I get to push a left or right paddle. WOOOOPEEEEE! Before you let me know today's automatics will blow my straight drive vehicle away I already know that but it doesn't change my mind. My old muscle cars that had 4 speeds, every time I'd get into a race they always thought I had an automatic because I'd speed shift the you know what out of it. Most people thinks speed shifting is shifting fast as you can. No, speed shifting is red lining that baby and change gears without taking the throttle off the floor. I wouldn't risk doing that to a car of today. Hope I don't upset anyone, I'm just remembering when cars use to be fun to drive and you man handled them instead of laying back and about fall asleep from boredom! LOL

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Unless you are towing or have a pop-up camper you can't see through (assuming you have normal vision), you shouldn't have any blind spots if you set your mirror correctly.

Follow these steps:

While seated in the driver's seat (duh):
1: Put your head almost to the window and adjust your driver side mirror just past where you can see the side of your truck. None of your truck should be visible.
2: Put your head over your center console. Adjust your passenger side mirror just past where you can see the side of your truck.
3: Adjust the rear-view mirror so that you're looking straight back over the tailgate.

(note this works for cars as well, pretty much anything that's not a dump truck)

Now you have no blind spot. As soon as something disappears from your rear-view it will be in one of your side mirrors. Once it disappears from your side mirror, it'll be in your peripheral vision naturally. I still 'shoulder check' unless I'm pursuit driving, but that's more force of habit.

This is especially handy for vehicles like the 5th and 6th Gen Camaros that have terrible physical obstructions to your view out the side and rear.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5th Gens look ugly/boxy and cheap reminds me of a nissan/toyota il never own one.

George N

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gen 4 has become an Iconic shape for pickups in the past decade hands down. Now, I am the guy who likes newer because it is better and the more modern the better. But the 5th generation RAM looks like it had ****** relations with a Chevy! I also have a Challenger R/T which looks like they looked at a Camaro and ran the other direction to 1970 and time traveled a Challenger to 2008. Hmmm, maybe I do tend to like old school styling with distinctly modern flair? That being said, The Gen 2 RAM (2000) is iconic as well and the Gen 3 is the ugliest thing on 4 wheels. The Generation 4 RAM looks like a Gen 2 on steroids. The Gen 5 does not look have any historic cues like Gen 4 RAM or Challenger. Maybe a Gen 5 refresh will do the trick.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you owned a rig with blind spot monitoring?

I think you might be getting the lane change and blind spot mixed up.

I agree lane change feature is a pain in the butt and a distraction in my opinion but the blind spot monitoring is great feature, especially if you've got a canopy! I don't.

I use my blind spot monitoring but not the lane change.

The good thing is you can turn each feature off. You can also turn off the sound and just rely on the little light in the mirror. That's what I do.

We are wanting to buy another 4Runner for my wife
But neither one of us want to get one because they do not come with blind spot monitoring.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

No I haven’t driven anything with that crap but I guess it is nice to be able to turn it all off if I ever happen to get a vehicle that has it.

But no, I’m not getting any of that confused as I think it’s all useless. But what do you mean by canopy? You mean a camper shell?

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have to agree with most of that. Can't tell you the times someone has passed me on the interstate and you watch their blind spot light on their mirror go off when they get by and almost clip your front end because they trust things like that light to much. I know I'm old school but I wish people would stop letting their car drive for them and pay attention. Never thought I'd see the day when we have CDL drivers that can't even drive a manual transmission. Guess that frees one of their hands up so they can text, which they are not supposed to do (what a joke that law is) I have a 2012 year model that does more than I'll ever need or use. The one thing I do wish my truck had is a 6 speed manual transmission, put some fun back in driving instead of 2 paddle shifters like my wifes 2014 Durango. I laugh every time I want to get sporty and I get to push a left or right paddle. WOOOOPEEEEE! Before you let me know today's automatics will blow my straight drive vehicle away I already know that but it doesn't change my mind. My old muscle cars that had 4 speeds, every time I'd get into a race they always thought I had an automatic because I'd speed shift the you know what out of it. Most people thinks speed shifting is shifting fast as you can. No, speed shifting is red lining that baby and change gears without taking the throttle off the floor. I wouldn't risk doing that to a car of today. Hope I don't upset anyone, I'm just remembering when cars use to be fun to drive and you man handled them instead of laying back and about fall asleep from boredom! LOL

Yeah unfortunately, ya gotta thank them bottom-feeder companies like CR England, Swift, Prime and Werner for creating them steering-wheel holders that have no business driving 80,000-pound semis.

CfoxRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gen4 all the way!! They just look more like a brute and not a grocery getter, my engineer traded his gen4 in for a Gen5 and after lifting and decking it out he wants his Gen4 back lol

E93F2795-F94F-4BFF-90FA-324E392EA20A.jpeg

06FCE422-F16F-4C9C-8CF3-A6FDD1AC99F9.jpeg

7C41E832-F350-4C68-AB4A-771EE090E6CC.jpeg

Last edited:

Sinistre1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Somewhat biased owning a fourth gen but yep... 4th gen for me. 5th gens are fine and were there never a 4th it would get the nod all the way. That said they did nail the lights both front and back. I prefer the styling of the 5th gen lights and it would be the one thing I would trade out on my 16 sport. In general I think 5th gens look too civilized. 4th gen is like a curled up panther. You still see the muscle and the brawn even though its somewhat sleek. A 5th gen is more cheetah... flowy, showy grace but doesnt inspire fear not respect. 3rd gens I guess would be lions or tigers using this analogy. They show brawn but much less grace and finesse. Never wanted to own a truck til I saw them in 2010.. as luck would have it my transportation needs changes and bingo... proud owner of the best looking quarter ton sheet metal on the planet... custom work aside. Lol

Ramshot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was looking to buy a 4th gen Ram with low mileage at a reasonable price. I had just about given up, and resigned myself to owning the new body "style". The only redeeming factor was that it lost 400 lbs from the 4th gen. It must've been 400 lbs of good looks; because its aesthetic character and appeal are gone in gen 5. Nothing distinctive about it, nothing ugly, but its just bland. I was fortunate to find and buy a 2018 Big Horn with just 16,900 mi for $31K. The Big Horn; well appointed, and, wearing pearl blue paint, the most gorgeous pick up out there.