POLL: Body style, Which do you prefer, 4th gen./classic or 5th gen.?

Body style: which do you prefer 4th gen./classic or 5th gen?

• 4th gen/classic

Votes: 204 73.4%
  • 5th gen

Votes: 74 26.6%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My wife loves the delmonico red. She wants a Rebel in that color. I will have to work a 2nd job, or she will have to cash in my life insurance, lol.

Doug Johnston

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
4th gen gets my vote. I purchased my 2018 2500 Laramie Mega Cab w/Cummins, September of 2018, while there was still a good selection to choose from. I wanted to get one before they weren't available new anymore. Really glad I did. I saw what the 5th gen looked like and really had to have the classic 4th gen. Love the interior too! It's got all the bells and whistles I need. Yes, I love chrome, holds up to chips better than paint. And I'm old school lol.

20181022_180314.jpg

Roman4405

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had two 4th gens and I regretted getting rid of both of them. They were great looking trucks but neither was exactly what I wanted. My 5th Gen is perfect. I wasn’t a huge fan of the body style when they first came out but when I saw mine in person that was all she wrote.

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn Night Edition
Engine
V8
The only thing I would change on my 4G is the bottom grille corners. They used to be pointy, now they angle the bottom corners for some reason.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No I haven’t driven anything with that crap but I guess it is nice to be able to turn it all off if I ever happen to get a vehicle that has it.

But no, I’m not getting any of that confused as I think it’s all useless. But what do you mean by canopy? You mean a camper shell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like this

LR-100XL-3-540x360.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Everything is starting to look the same. When I was "younger" you could walk out of the store and be able to identify just about every vehicle by it's looks. Nowadays you almost need to drop a pin in Google Maps when you park so you can use GPS to find your truck. It's even worse with cars.

As much as I'm not a Dodge/RAM fan (this is my first non-Ford truck) I'd have to say that the 3rd gen is my favorite body style for exterior styling.

Even though my truck doesn't stand out in a crowd like my 2003 Ford F-250 did, I do love the LED lights, larger crew cab, and comfortable interior compared to a 4th gen.

While the 5th gen is not as aggressive outside like previous generations, I do like the lines and am learning to appreciate it more and more each time I wash it.

The 5th gen sold me on a RAM otherwise I would still be in a Ford.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like this

View attachment 234592

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

That’s what I thought you meant… LOL. I don’t really care for camper shells so I wouldn’t have that problem but, since I’m a truck driver by trade and having a big old trailer back there every single day, I pretty much have to rely on my side view mirrors so, all that safety radar crap would still be of no use to me as far as I’m concerned.

ajb3015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Another vote for 4th gen here, followed by 2nd gen. As others have stated the 5th gen looks like everything else, the front end is cluttered/busy, etc. The biggest problem I have with the 5th gen (as one other person pointed out) is the part of the fender that wraps around under the headlight. To me it looks like an after-thought; they pushed the headlights up to the top of the grill and couldn't decide what to put in that goofy open space where the headlight used to be, so "just wrap the fender around the front".

4th gen interior is better IMO for no other reason than the seats are bigger. I had a 5th gen rental while my 2015 was in the shop and the first thing I noticed was the seat cushion is shorter (front to back) and therefore doesn't support my legs as well. It's also more narrow. The one thing I like about the 5th gen interior is also the one thing I hate in my 2015 bighorn. The 5th gen has a knob/dial for the temperature adjustment, right for hot, left for cold. My '15 has 2 buttons (one to increase the temp, one to decrease the temp) you have to tap the button repeatedly to change the temp. It takes forever and is distracting to sit there and finger the dash waiting for the screen to respond. I could have the best of both worlds if I bought a 2020/2021 2500, which uses the 4th gen cab and seats but the 5th gen dash, but that's a whole other discussion.

The other thing I would love to see come back is the drop down cup-holder from the 2nd gen. I hate that the 4th gen (and 5th gen) cup holders are in the center seat-back (when equipped with a bench seat like all real trucks are :) ) If you flip up the seat-back you lose your cup holders. Also, the 2nd gen cupholders hold larger diameter cups/bottles. My 36oz yeti bottle fits in my 2nd gen cup holder but not in my 4th gen cup holder. Putting the cup holder in the dash would also mean the seat-back console could be bigger inside.

As others have mentioned, I also dislike that items that were standard in the 4th gen, are now optional in the 5th gen (when comparing like trim levels). It feels like you're paying more and not getting as much. I realize that the 5th gen does include some features that weren't available on the 4th gen, hence the price increase, but it still feels like you're getting screwed. On that point about new features, I do like that the 5th gen is push-button start regardless of trim level, but I hate that only laramie and above are available with proximity keyless entry. If you are giving me the ability to start/drive the truck with the "key" in my pocket, then I should also be able to unlock/open the truck while leaving the "key" in my pocket.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Don’t forget that FUCKUNN FORD RANG-ARRR!!!....[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]
a690074deb4a8ae38238e1b0609e9b2d.jpg

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. My guess is all of the designers, they sleepin with each other. Lol

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

brian42

Military
Reaction score
The biggest problem I have with the 5th gen (as one other person pointed out) is the part of the fender that wraps around under the headlight. To me it looks like an after-thought; they pushed the headlights up to the top of the grill and couldn't decide what to put in that goofy open space where the headlight used to be, so "just wrap the fender around the front".
I agree that's ugly. Many of us refer to them as "beaver cheeks".

4th gen interior is better IMO for no other reason than the seats are bigger. I had a 5th gen rental while my 2015 was in the shop and the first thing I noticed was the seat cushion is shorter (front to back) and therefore doesn't support my legs as well. It's also more narrow.
That's surprising as I find my 5th gen seats much more comfortable than the 4th gen. The padding is a little firmer but overall a more comfortable shape. For me it was the seat position in the cab. I have had a few 4th gen loaners when mine was at the dealership and I could not find a comfortable driving position. The seat was fine but where it is mounted it in the cab was off for my taste.

I guess that's why they are still making the 4th gen (Classic) as many still find it desirable.

I've also not had a RAM before so I'm coming into this with a "fresh butt" never having owned a prior generation.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Just because I'm always one to run topics off the rails but want to stay on my topic of vehicles not having much individuality anymore. I bring to you the Chrysler accord. d9e6fb875d2907b0b45d60b5d12464ea.jpg

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Just because I'm always one to run topics off the rails but want to stay on my topic of vehicles not having much individuality anymore. I bring to you the Chrysler accord. d9e6fb875d2907b0b45d60b5d12464ea.jpg

Different silhouette, the door scallops and crosshair grill (even if subdued), different belt line, blacked out headlights vs reflectors, very different bumper styling cues around the fogs... I think there's more differences then similarities there.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Different silhouette, the door scallops and crosshair grill (even if subdued), different belt line, blacked out headlights vs reflectors, very different bumper styling cues around the fogs... I think there's more differences then similarities there.
From 1/4 mile away it's the same car [emoji23]

OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

I think that's the thing, everybody tries to do what the others are doing.

No individuality anymore. Kind of like remaking of movies.

The 5th gen has grown on me a bit, but still a big lead for 4th.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just wait in a few years we will all have to settle on electric vehicles. GM just “committed” to an all electric fleet by 2035???? Are you F$cking kidding me!