Poll- Do you like MDS?

Do you like MDS?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I remember a conversation I had prior to joining this forum or even knowing about the 5.7, and it was with a car salesmen. I was asking a few questions and every concern I had he would say well the customers overwhelmingly support the other side of everything I was concerned about, the main one being mds. What do you say, is the car salesmen right or wrong about public support for this MDS "upgrade"?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I should add, MDS is not related to lifter/cam issues, we see those same issues on non mds engines, so let's not include the weaknesses of the hemi's non mds related in our considerations. That didn't take long to get a hate it with a passion vote :)

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I don't ever notice it kicking on or off in my truck and didn't in my Charger, either. I get it can change the sound if you have an aftermarket exhaust or something, but it's invisible to me. I don't see an option in the poll that fits me since I still prefer sliced bread, but I'd say I'm slightly postive on it.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I wouldnt say its the best thing since sliced bread but i have no complaints with it. If im cruising at 65 i have no issue with it running on 4 cylinders. Not sure how much gas im saving with it but anything helps

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Although I checked I do not prefer it, I don't hate it either. I know why it was done, I bought a V8 because I wanted a V8.

To have rumble would be nice, but not a deal-breaker for me. I just want my vehicle to be dependable, that's all. Ponies are there if I need them, but I don't need to drive like Mario Andretti either (sometimes, lol).

2015 Ram 1500 SLT QC 2wd, 28.6 k when bought in Sept. of 2017, now has 129.5k as I am writing this.

Replaced the battery once, the headlight switch, a couple tires soon after purchase, a new set 2 years ago that now have 40k miles on them.

Did spark plugs, new brake fluid, pcv valve, and coolant at 106k, 8 speed trans fluid drain and pan/filter replace. new brake pads and repaired broken exhaust manifold bolts at 108k. Air filters every 40k.

Oil changes by OCI, PP 5w-20 + Fram XG10060 filter almost exclusively. Lubegard Biotek last 2 changes.

I get great mileage as long as I'm not romping on her too much. 21 ish mpg on Road trips hand calculated.

Yes, I don't prefer the mds, but all is well so far.

Would I buy another Classic with Hemi? Absolutely!

Last edited:

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont really have an opinion either way on it. My 11 hemi had a 5spd trans and it would go into eco mode pretty easily and I would average approximately 15 mpg. With my new 21 hemi with 8spd I very rarely see the eco light on and I'm still averaging about 15 mpg. I didnt beat on the 11 and I dont with the 21 either

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I don't ever notice it kicking on or off in my truck and didn't in my Charger, either. I get it can change the sound if you have an aftermarket exhaust or something, but it's invisible to me. I don't see an option in the poll that fits me since I still prefer sliced bread, but I'd say I'm slightly postive on it.
There, I fixed it for ya.. LOL! @Burla

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Mixed bag, which is why I do these polls, I would have thought something different. Maybe the salesman was at least 1/2 right, we'll see as this goes on.

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I live rural as well......driving at 55mph which is normal....incredible gas mileage for the horse power in the Hemi.....20 to 22 mpg every tank......if MDS helps.....OK with me!

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I personally hate it and want to get rid of it. The first I do is put it in manual whatever gear I need it to shift to and call it a day. I hate the bogging it does. Its really annoying now that I have a throttle controller.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hate it and do manual gear when in town. On highway, I let the truck think. DO I want it, NO, is it in all these 5.7's and a fact of life, unfortunately. AM I mechanically skilled enuf to change stuff and do away with it, no. But then I's a BOIRD.

sad sad turkey.jpg

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
On long hey trips it saves me some mpg. What’s not to like, you can turn it off if you want. I have a choice to use it or not.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Can't imagine the extra cost it added to the price of our vehicles to have it. Not going to say they didn't have to do it for some EPA mumbo jumbo but I see where it saves me nothing. If I'm going to run on 4 cylinders I want 4 cylinder fuel mileage. Can't imagine it would save 1/2 MPG. I bought a tuner to get rid of the 105 MPH speed limiter mainly but getting rid of the MDS put the icing on the cake. My driving style it would rarely kick in anyway. Just another technology gizmo to have something go wrong with in the future. If I ever have to change my cam and lifters the MDS will be eliminated completely!

Last edited:

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can't imagine the extra cost it added to the price of our vehicles to have it. Not going to say they didn't have to do it for some EPA mumbo jumbo but I see where it saves me nothing. If I'm going to run on 4 cylinders I want 4 cylinder fuel mileage. Can't imagine it would save 1/2 MPG. I bought a tuner to get rid of the 105 MPH speed limiter mainly but getting rid of the MDS put the icing on the cake. My driving style it would rarely kick in anyway. Just another technology gizmo to have something go wrong with in the future. If I ever have to change my cam and lifters the MDS will be eliminated completely!
That is how I feel about it too. Where is my MPG? I dont see any difference in fuel milage with it on or off. Mine if it is on rarely goes into MDS too. I really need to grab a tuner and tune mine out.

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Doesn’t bother me either way. The tech doesn’t really give a person much improvement in MPG so it sort of seems unnecessary. I can barely tell when mine kicks in as it’s usually at highway speed and my stereo is thumping away anyhow. I don’t bother turning it off.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
I personally hate it and want to get rid of it. The first I do is put it in manual whatever gear I need it to shift to and call it a day. I hate the bogging it does. Its really annoying now that I have a throttle controller.
exactly that’s my take on it too!

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No, no, no, and NO.
It makes zero difference with mpg.
If I want to save gas and/or save the environment, I'll drive my Beetle.
When I need/want my truck, I expect it to be a big honkin V8 gas guzzlin beast. All the time.

'Luckily' for me, mine has lifter failure ... cyl 3 at least... so I get new cam and NON MDS lifters, so I won't ever have to worry about it again. :Big Laugh::head3: