Poll: Spyder Headlights Vs. Proper Retrofit Headlights!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So a fellow ram owner is arguing with me that Spyder branded headlights are, in his words, “nicer, cleaner, better headlights then the headlights you build, which you use the cheapest parts for and are held together with elmers glue”. Mind you he has no idea who I am and has never seen any of my builds in person.

Option #1: Spyder Headlights (his headlights)
b1170eb2c92b39caf047a045f222601f.jpg

Option #2: (old set I built) OEM Quads with custom paint, Morimoto MLED projectors, Profile HiLens Projectors, Profile Prism RGB Demon Eyes, Profile RGB Fitted Halos, Profile RGB Inner & Front amounted Projector Halos, Morimoto XBT Bluetooth Controller + tons more small stuff.
f73d16b25e93c6dcd70a21caaa3ebfc9.jpg

Option #3: (old set I built) OEM Projectors, Custom Paint, Klearz Smoked DRL Lenses, Klearz Smoked Corner Markers, Diode Dynamics Switchback DRL Boards, DD Switchback C-Bar Halos and DD Switchback Projector Halos, Morimoto FX-R Retroquick Kit, Morimoto HID Kit, plus more.
c9e6be456bdd2eea478915330a2d995d.jpg060240b65ecf437d574c024a49209917.jpg

Please vote on which option you think is a better headlight. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I like option 3 the best. I have never liked the look of the Spyder headlights, but to each their own. Obviously he has no idea of where your skill level and your own level of perfection for yourself and your work is. I have several headlight designs that you have done, including your latest headlights, and after reading more posts than I can count about your builds, there’s no way in hell anyone could come to that conclusion that he said about you. If there were tons of complaints from the people you built them for, then maybe. But I am 500% in disagreement with his statement about your work! Obviously he also hasn’t seen the complaints from other customers about the Spyder headlights. Which, I honestly think are pretty ugly, but that’s my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But to call your work basically cheap trash that is held together by Elmers Glue really angers me!

I might get knocked down but you better be gone when I get up!

2013 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab, 4” Rough Country lift, 35x12.5x17 ProComp AT Sport tires, ProComp shocks and struts, Modify Street 2019 style polished black projector headlights, 3.92 differentials

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RusslRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I vote option 2. Don't like the Spyders.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

KC Cryptkeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The internet has made a lot of average people experts on things they have no idea about. Your builds look top quality to me.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Option 2 or 3,, either way as long as you're building proper retrofits. I would prob take 3 over 2 just because the awesome output of d2s 5.0.

Spyder lights belong in the trash. One of the Worst aftermarket brand headlights out there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Retrofits are superior in terms of looks, build quality, and output. Output by far as there is NO R&D put into the optics of most aftermarket headlight assemblies. Where as the projectors that are in a retrofitted headlight have tons of R&D, in fact most projectors have many revisions done to them. For example you will see MH1 7.0. The 7.0 is the generation of the projector. That is how many times they have revised it and made it better after their 1st release.

That is why we offer and strongly recommend Morimoto products. If anyone is interested in building their own retrofit or wanting to get some quality HID kits or LED bulbs, contact us for pricing and info

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quality wise it’s not even a contest. The spyders are not in the same league as your retrofits. that said the two options you have showed are a bit busy looking IMO

Last edited:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For some reason I never liked the look of the solid white LED "bar" looking type of retrofit. The wide one in the Spyders is really ugly, IMHO. The thinner ones used in option #3 are better but again still not my thing. Maybe if I saw them in person I would change my mind, but I dont like how they look like painted white plastic when they are off.

Overall, though, I cant see a random aftermarket brand being better than a retrofit. Even doing my own first retrofit (which was fairly basic), I feel I only improved on an already decent product (AlphaRex/ModifyStreet).

The whole "Elmers glue" thing made me laugh, because I know you are putting them back together with legit materials....who the hell uses any type of GLUE? When I re-sealed my lights, I think I ended up with a better seal than they had from AlphaRex.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I say option 2 and give me the 3rd set. [emoji41][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

waynestractor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You don't see very many good reviews for Spyder headlights. I personally would never buy a set based on the reviews...

Dantra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good work my man! Sounds like he's found a button he likes to push and is having fun with it... Takes 2 to argue

Steve Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Option 2 or 3,, either way as long as you're building proper retrofits. I would prob take 3 over 2 just because the awesome output of d2s 5.0.

Spyder lights belong in the trash. One of the Worst aftermarket brand headlights out there.

Nothing wrong with Spyder... not trash at all.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Nothing wrong with Spyder... not trash at all.
I went through so many brands for my old Ranger, the Spyder were the worst. Poorest quality, and the only set I had issues with right out of the box. I would comment on thier customer service dealing with issues, but can't comment on something that doesn't exist.

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I think Option 3 is the better one. I assume you would paint them to match the body color as you did with the red ones shown, correct?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock