Poor fuel economy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pascal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just bought a 2021 warlock
5.7 hemi crew cab 4x4 3.92ratio
8speed automatic

So far mostly city driving
I usualy let it idle 5 to 10 minutes on cold start because its cold in canada and i hate to sit in cold vehicle..
I am super smooth on the pedal
Always drive it on 2wd
Mds on (sounds like poop)
And i get less than 10mpg

I previously owned a 2016 toyota tundra and also had more aggressive driving habit , toyota known to have bad fuel economy

but ...this new ram burn around 20% more gas than my previous toyota
Is there something that can be done ?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If your relying on the dash readout for the fuel economy, they can get drastically worse when idling a lot. Keep track of the fuel and mileage and do the math by hand.
It's cold out so your idling a bunch and winter blend fuel.
If your concerned about fuel economy, buy an EcoDiesel and pull the Hemi around with it. The interesting part is you'll probably still get better fuel economy...lol

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What Crash68 said on the readout, that is not really telling the whole story. I have watched it tell me, say, 70 miles to empty after city driving and then I get on a highway and the DTE actually goes up (the data also goes into MPG). If you want your true MPG, fill and do the math next time you fill again, and donut a few times to get a average.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
What Crash68 said on the readout, that is not really telling the whole story. I have watched it tell me, say, 70 miles to empty after city driving and then I get on a highway and the DTE actually goes up (the data also goes into MPG). If you want your true MPG, fill and do the math next time you fill again, and donut a few times to get a average.

The DTE calculates the number based on previous and current driving conditions. So if your driving around the city getting like 10mpg, then jump on the highway and get 20mpg. Then obviously the DTE is going to go up because you’re now getting much better fuel economy so the fuel you have left is going to take you further.

That being said to the OP calculating avg mpg by hand is a better way to do it. As well winter fuel and idling 5-10 minutes everyday is gonna take a huge hit on the avg mpg that the cluster displays.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The DTE calculates the number based on previous and current driving conditions. So if your driving around the city getting like 10mpg, then jump on the highway and get 20mpg. Then obviously the DTE is going to go up because you’re now getting much better fuel economy so the fuel you have left is going to take you further.

That being said to the OP calculating avg mpg by hand is a better way to do it. As well winter fuel and idling 5-10 minutes everyday is gonna take a huge hit on the avg mpg that the cluster displays.
Yep, it changes as the data changes. I wish my MPG was what it shows after I start fresh and roll down hill from the gas station. 40 mpg in my truck, woo-hoo. Then I have to touch the throttle and it's all gone.

jeeplj8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
only 6K on my 2020 so far, but I can tell it will always get worse gas mileage than my 4th gen did. In large part it probably has to do with just how big these trucks are. The 5th gen is considerably larger than the 4th gen. Sitting that high is hurting the highway mpg for sure. It actually gets better MPG in town with the eTorque engine.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
Just bought a 2021 warlock
5.7 hemi crew cab 4x4 3.92ratio
8speed automatic

So far mostly city driving
I usualy let it idle 5 to 10 minutes on cold start because its cold in canada and i hate to sit in cold vehicle..
I am super smooth on the pedal
Always drive it on 2wd
Mds on (sounds like poop)
And i get less than 10mpg

I previously owned a 2016 toyota tundra and also had more aggressive driving habit , toyota known to have bad fuel economy

but ...this new ram burn around 20% more gas than my previous toyota
Is there something that can be done ?
i own a 2019 ram 1500 dt sport crew cab 6.4 box loaded 3.92 gears and i have a heavy foot hand calculated i get between 11.5 to 12 mpg in the city oh and i drive in 4wheel auto all winter.

Stewart

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Fill tank (nearest highway), wright down mileage, get on highway, set cruise to speed limit, drive a distance and immediately fill tank. Mileage divided by gallons used = miles per gallon. Eliminate idling and any in town driving. Set cruise control to different speed to find your trucks sweet spot.

your welcome

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
for MPG... by GM; best around.

For mileage, maybe.

I bought a spankin' new '14 with 6sp and 5.3 and sold it with just 4,000 miles on the clock because I HATED how much it preferred mileage over drivability. Gonna be hard to get me out of a RAM...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye