Pop/clunk every time I drive/brake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramittome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's starting to drive me nuts. Every time I take off I hear a little popping noise, and when I brake it pops again. Does the whole time I'm driving. I have a 2015 Ram 1500 with the 8-speed transmission. Almost sounds as if when I'm braking the transmission is spinning faster than the driveshaft and there's play in it and it hits comma then when I take off it's the same thing in the opposite direction. I've checked all of my suspension components and everything is tight. Anyone else have this problem?

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a similar issue. Will check back to see what you find as well as check my u-joints.

OP
OP
ramittome

ramittome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I read through that post and it doesn't sound like any of that. I can wiggle and jiggle the steering wheel all I want and it will not make the popping sound, only makes the popping sound every single time I take off or slow down. I can make it do it every single time. I read the post about the grease in the drive shaft as well comma I can feel that sometimes too but not every time I stop. The popping or clunking noise I'm talking about his only when you first apply the brake or taking off after the break has been applied, even if you don't come to a complete stop.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Have you done breaks? I had same issue after I did my brakes the pads were loose the retainer clips were junk. They clunked under acceleration and brakeing even on ruff roads they rattled some if I had my windows down I could hear it.

OP
OP
ramittome

ramittome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nope. Still original brakes on there. Truck only has 16k miles on it.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Well if you only at 16k I would take it to the dealer ship and have a service advisor or tech drive it or ride with you and replicate it for them and let the have at it.

OP
OP
ramittome

ramittome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you checked to see if the universal joints have too much play?
All joints look good. No play in any of them. Checked all the bolts in both ends of the drive shaft as well, all right.

Well if you only at 16k I would take it to the dealer ship and have a service advisor or tech drive it or ride with you and replicate it for them and let the have at it.
If it were that easy, it would already be there.

I have a lot of engine bolts on and a tuner, so I'm trying to eliminate those as a factor. Plus, I work 7 days a week, so I can't just easily run to a dealership.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I get something similar from my driver rear suspension/brake area.

I haven't been able to figure it out what it is yet. I know if I bounce on my bumper, it does not make this pop noise. But it will make the noise with suspected travel if I am accelerating from a stop or the very last few inches of travel when stopping.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ramittome

ramittome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I get something similar from my driver rear suspension/brake area.

I haven't been able to figure it out what it is yet. I know if I bounce on my bumper, it does not make this pop noise. But it will make the noise with suspected travel if I am accelerating from a stop or the very last few inches of travel when stopping.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

This, but mine happens almost immediately after I press the brake pedal, and almost sounds like it's coming from the front. I eliminated the suspension from mine though because its been making this sound for quite a while now, and until about 3 weeks ago I had a lift kit on. Spindles, springs, shocks, and upper control arms were all taken off and the OEM ones put back on and the noise is still happening. Thought it was the lift for the longest and after I had removed it and the noise was still there, I was sad.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ramittome, did you ever figure out what the clunking sound was when accelerating and braking?

OP
OP
ramittome

ramittome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nope .I ended up taking the lift kit off and installing a drop kit, so I don't think it's anything with the suspension because it's still doing it.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nope .I ended up taking the lift kit off and installing a drop kit, so I don't think it's anything with the suspension because it's still doing it.

I've started recently getting the clunk in the rear when accelerating moderately hard or with harder braking.

Moskeeto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's starting to drive me nuts. Every time I take off I hear a little popping noise, and when I brake it pops again. Does the whole time I'm driving. I have a 2015 Ram 1500 with the 8-speed transmission. Almost sounds as if when I'm braking the transmission is spinning faster than the driveshaft and there's play in it and it hits comma then when I take off it's the same thing in the opposite direction. I've checked all of my suspension components and everything is tight. Anyone else have this problem?
Ramittome did you ever get your issue resolved? My 2013 is doing the same thing, upper and lower control arms have been replaced but it’s still doing it and getting worse.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check u joints. This was the problem with our dually making a clunk going from drive to park. Doesn't hurt to check.