Popping in front end(I believe)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
So I've got a 2008 Ram 1500 2wd. About two months ago I started hearing a popping sound when coming to a stop. it doesn't do it all the time, only every now and then but if it does it and I back up and brake again, if it's at the same spot as the previous pop it'll pop again. same thing if I back up more
and pull forward again, it seems to pop in the same spot. This leads me to believe it's something moving, where if it lands in a certain spot at a slow speed it pops. It hasn't gotten any worse in the last two months it's just annoying when it does it. anyone have any suggestions on what to check? I've looked under the truck and I don't see anything that could be causing it unless I missed something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rambling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
Does it do it while turning, or only as you describe..?

OP
OP
KyleW2

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
only as I describe, at least I haven't heard it while turning.
better example of how I described it:
If I pull up to a stop sign, it pops. If I pull forward past the stop sign then back up to where I was when I heard the pop the first time, it'll pop again. if I back up the pop and pull forward again, it'll pop. I tried taking a video of it but you can't hear the pop over the sound of the truck on the video

OP
OP
KyleW2

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
Something else I remembered, the alignment is out. Not a lot but it does pull slightly to the right. Getting it aligned after I level it

OP
OP
KyleW2

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
The truck is aligned. Wreck caused me to need the whole left side suspension fixed in the front. It is popping more frequently now and happens while turning now too. It is coming from the left side I can feel it in the floor board when it pops. Any suggestions?

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins
The truck is aligned. Wreck caused me to need the whole left side suspension fixed in the front. It is popping more frequently now and happens while turning now too. It is coming from the left side I can feel it in the floor board when it pops. Any suggestions?

Did a shop replace your suspension under insurance? If so I'd say take it back to them and have them check it out. If something is wrong it should still be covered.

OP
OP
KyleW2

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
Did a shop replace your suspension under insurance? If so I'd say take it back to them and have them check it out. If something is wrong it should still be covered.

yes they did I'm just trying to find the problem before I bring it in so they don't pull that "could not duplicate the problem" ******** that shops usually pull

OlBluRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd jack it up, grab the top of the wheel and bottom (12 o'clock and 6 o'clock) and try to push 12, pull 6; basically wiggling. If the ball joints are bad enough this should give you an idea.

The next thing I would do is pull the tire and if the brake is free enough you can spin the hub assembly, should be smooth. Turn it forward and backwards; when mine was bad I heard it at slower speeds and while turning. If you can't tell, remove the caliper, 2 bolts on the back side (18mm if I remember correctly) and hang it with zip ties from the from to prevent stress on the line. Then spin the hub forward and back, any roughness in the bearings will show at this point, mine would lock up and pop going backwards.

OlBluRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Inspect your ball joints, tie rod ends etc... While you're down there; a front end impact can cause premature failure of all of those components as well as the bearings

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
all good suggestions. You could also check the u-joints, and slip splines, if any.

OP
OP
KyleW2

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
All the front left suspension was replaced after the accident pretty much. It's in the shop now, they test drove it and heard the problem. Thanks for the suggestions ill post more once they find out what it is

OP
OP
KyleW2

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
got a call from the shop and they said they found a body mount loose. tightened it down and they said now the sound is gone

cory hardy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I've got a 2008 Ram 1500 2wd. About two months ago I started hearing a popping sound when coming to a stop. it doesn't do it all the time, only every now and then but if it does it and I back up and brake again, if it's at the same spot as the previous pop it'll pop again. same thing if I back up more
and pull forward again, it seems to pop in the same spot. This leads me to believe it's something moving, where if it lands in a certain spot at a slow speed it pops. It hasn't gotten any worse in the last two months it's just annoying when it does it. anyone have any suggestions on what to check? I've looked under the truck and I don't see anything that could be causing it unless I missed something.

OP
OP
KyleW2

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
Mines doin the same thing on my 04

Mine ended up being the front brake anti rattle clips believe it or not. Went through the whole damn front end before figuring it out. Not sure if the clips just broke off or what, the truck hadn’t had brake work done in a while.
At least I don’t have to worry about steering/suspension issues considering it’s all new.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was going to suggest taking apart the front brakes & cleaning everything up making sure it's all sitting correctly. I had a similar issue with my '14 F150, bought a new caliper hardware package and my issues went away.