Popping noise from front when stopping/starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moskeeto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2013 1500 Laramie has a popping noise whoever I come to a complete stop and then when I start moving again. It sounds like it coming from the front end. I took it to my local Ram dealer and they put chassis ears on it and said it was coming from the control arms. They replaced both upper and lowers and it was still making the noise. This was 4 months ago and it’s getting louder. Back when it first started it seemed like the colder the temp was outside the less noise it would make. One thing to note is about six months before I noticed the noise the dealer replaced the engine in my truck so I’m wondering if something might be in a bind after that. I love my truck but this noise is driving me crazy, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here's what comes to my mind ...and what I would check if it were my tk. These are all relatively easy and quick to do:

1) Engine mounts: Maybe a bolt vibrated loose, or an engine mount gave way. Raise the hood, put in gear (foot on the brake) and give it some 'gas'. See if the engine tilts or raises. Then put it in Reverse and do the same (also foot on the brake).

2) Sticking Brake Pad: The pads can corrode and become lodged in their sliding bosses. This probably isn't b/c by now it would have worn down a pad (maybe). I would check it just the same. Probably simply removing the wheel and backing off the caliper a little with a screwdriver ...and wiggling the brake pads (also with a screwdriver) ..should do the trick. If they are really stuck, that's probably the problem. If they wiggle freely, then it probably isn't. If the rotors look excessively worn, glazed, or corroded, then you probably need to do the brake and there may be a hidden issue there (like a ridge worn into the knuckle ..where the pad slides).

3) Front Diff: It's possible the bolts to the front diff have loosened (or a bushing) has failed, or the diff is somewhat loose. When you go to accelerate, it rocks a little and goes 'pop'. Might not be it but easy to check. Check the intermediate steering shaft for looseness, excessive wear/play as well.

4) Front CV Joints/Axles: Put the truck in N (block the wheels), raise a front wheel off the ground momentarily, then set it back down (that removes any pre-load). Then lift up/down with some force (by hand) on the outer CV inside the front wheel (if it's 4x4). And wiggle up/down on the front driveshafts vigorously. They should feel tight. A small amount of up/down on the outer wheel cv isn't out of the question. A lot of play means something is amiss. Esp with the center shaft between the inner/outer CV joints. Too much movement would produce a 'pop'.

5) Front Driveshaft: While the truck is in N and the pre-load has been taken off the driveline, get under and vigorously wiggle the front driveshaft. Do the same with the rear since you're there. Inspect for excessive 'play'.

6) Wheel bearing/hub assembly: Raise each wheel and vigorously wiggle back and fourth (hands at 12:00 & 6:00). Wiggle violently ..like you mean it. If you feel ANY freeplay whatsoever youhave a wheel bearing failing. While you're there, wiggle in the 3 & 6 oclock positions for any steering 'play'.

7) Misc: If you don't find anything, take it back to the same dealer and have them dig deeper ....or a different dealer/mechanic.

Good luck. Let us know what you find

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
If they replaced your engine like above said, the motor mounts are probably either loose or they damaged them ...

You should also look at tie rod, end links and front sway bar .... but I am willing to bet it's your motor mounts

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye