POS Air Ride Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2018 Limited has that 4 corner air suspension problem that the fuse kept blowing out. I saw someone in the northern state replaced the fuse with an auto-reset breaker, so I tried and I haven't had any problem since except two times, but it resets and works completely fine. It's been one year without burning my pocket for replacement fuses. Maybe it will work for you since the guy is also living in your snow winter cold area.
That's actually a good idea using a resettable fuse but if you correct the problem, you won't have it trying to blow the fuse...

councalled

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's actually a good idea using a resettable fuse but if you correct the problem, you won't have it trying to blow the fuse...
Unless you can diagnose the cause of the problem, it will keep happening. The breaker rating is the same as the fuse, so maybe I might put the fuse back in and see. I have read up on forums, and all the dealerships cannot find the fault. Their solution is to replace the system with a new one. I'm not about to pay for that. Also, I'm out of warranty, and I haven't had any problem these past two weeks with weather around 30-40s that I had before.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Unless you can diagnose the cause of the problem, it will keep happening. The breaker rating is the same as the fuse, so maybe I might put the fuse back in and see. I have read up on forums, and all the dealerships cannot find the fault. Their solution is to replace the system with a new one. I'm not about to pay for that. Also, I'm out of warranty, and I haven't had any problem these past two weeks with weather around 30-40s that I had before.
Fuse blowing is probably compressor overload switch failure. I have yet to blow a fuse, but my compressor kicks out and gives me a warning on the dash overloaded/overheated/service required etc.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well maybe perhaps if you got one of the new ones that’s made here, maybe you’ll have better luck.
Really? Get that off a scratcher? Sorry try again

councalled

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fuse blowing is probably compressor overload switch failure. I have yet to blow a fuse, but my compressor kicks out and gives me a warning on the dash overloaded/overheated/service required etc.
It could be, but it's not happening for two winter since the breaker so I wonder if it is really that. It only gives the "require service" warning when the fuse blows for me.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, sad to say, they’re probably a lot more interested in actually finding the problem when it’s on the manufacturer’s dime.

But if you’re blowing a fuse, it’s probably because of ice or your probably low on nitrogen which is making the compressor work harder than it’s supposed to.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exactly. Buy another new truck and see if you get a winner this time.
I didn’t mean right now just whenever that time came but like I said, who knows. I think a lot’s changed in those new 5th GENs and I would hope the quality would be a little better now that they’re made here rather than Mexico but what do I know. Maybe you are better off with a half-ton. It was just a mere suggestion.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I didn’t mean right now just whenever that time came but like I said, who knows. I think a lot’s changed in those new 5th GENs and I would hope the quality would be a little better now that they’re made here rather than Mexico but what do I know. Maybe you are better off with a half-ton. It was just a mere suggestion.
A new truck is not the solution unless it's a different brand with a better service department or older so I can just get it fixed anywhere as the current problem is the inability to get things fixed properly so I have to keep wasting my time on getting the same things repaired. That is not just as it relates to air suspension that I've already conceded I may have to remove. If I buy a brand new RamHD it's still the same people working on it when it's under warranty and no matter what I buy it will have an issue eventually.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A new truck is not the solution unless it's a different brand with a better service department or older so I can just get it fixed anywhere as the current problem is the inability to get things fixed properly so I have to keep wasting my time on getting the same things repaired. That is not just as it relates to air suspension that I've already conceded I may have to remove. If I buy a brand new RamHD it's still the same people working on it when it's under warranty and no matter what I buy it will have an issue eventually.
But see that’s where you keep sort of looking at it the wrong way. I mean sure, you could still very well have problems and still have to deal with the same questionable shop but that’s all I’m trying to say is that from what it sounds like to me, it’s all the extra options that you got on that particular half-ton that’s caused you the problems. Whether it be a new heavy duty ram with not near as much stuff on it or even a new half ton was not near as much stuff on it, you probably won’t have to deal with that shop so much in the first place. That’s all I’m trying to say but at this point if you want to keep dumping money into that one the that’s your business. I’m just simply trying to help, that’s all.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
But see that’s where you keep sort of looking at it the wrong way. I mean sure, you could still very well have problems and still have to deal with the same questionable shop but that’s all I’m trying to say is that from what it sounds like to me, it’s all the extra options that you got on that particular half-ton that’s caused you the problems. Whether it be a new heavy duty ram with not near as much stuff on it or even a new half ton was not near as much stuff on it, you probably won’t have to deal with that shop so much in the first place. That’s all I’m trying to say but at this point if you want to keep dumping money into that one the that’s your business. I’m just simply trying to help, that’s all.
Two trip for transmission, rear diff leak, pealing paint, power locks, trim falling off, rear passenger light cover fell off. I know there's a ton more as it's been in a couple dozen times, but all those problems could just as well happen to a tradesman. Spent the first year I had it just driving it from my garage to the shop and back and once the insurance expired it was towed in for the first transmission leak.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Two trips for transmission, rear diff leak, pealing paint, power locks, trim falling off, rear passenger light cover fell off. I know there's a ton more as it's been in a couple dozen times, but all those problems could just as well happen to a tradesman. First year I had this truck it just went back and forth to the dealer. Had it towed the first transmission leak when it wasn't insured. Fired it up because I thought I had all the problems sorted and somebody buying my old truck so I was going to insure it. Then it puked trans fluid all over my garage floor and I left it parked another year and cancelled the sale. My SLT 3500 was even worse and that's 1 step above a tradesman. My 2011 was awesome and a Laramie with almost all options so I don't buy the it's got problems because it's too highly optioned to be a work truck only because a couple of the many problems were on things that are options.

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Two trip for transmission, rear diff leak, pealing paint, power locks, trim falling off, rear passenger light cover fell off. I know there's a ton more as it's been in a couple dozen times, but all those problems could just as well happen to a tradesman. Spent the first year I had it just driving it from my garage to the shop and back and once the insurance expired it was towed in for the first transmission leak.
Well I guess with that said, I’ll just have to digress because since you’ve had the kind of issues that any trim model truck could have, maybe it is time for a change. But since lack of quality is something that all these brands share nowadays, it’s really anybody’s guess as to whether or not you’re going to find the same luck or much better luck with something else that has a different word on the grill and on the tailgate but whatever happens, I hope you don’t have as much trouble as you have with your current truck.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well I guess with that said, I’ll just have to digress because since you’ve had the kind of issues that any trim model truck could have, maybe it is time for a change. But since lack of quality is something that all these brands share nowadays, it’s really anybody’s guess as to whether or not you’re going to find the same luck or much better luck with something else that has a different word on the grill and on the tailgate but whatever happens, I hope you don’t have as much trouble as you have with your current truck.
I know lemons on all brands. My point from the very start wasn't I'm changing brands. It's I'm tired of repeat visits for the same issue. 2 times transmission, 7 times now power locks (still too ridiculous to imagine, but tragically true), twice for the air suspension on Monday, and a couple other things because the dealer wait was so long that when I had my appointment they no longer had the part and I had to reschedule again after I dropped it off and came back to pick it up when they said it was ordered when I booked the original appointment and they had it when it was dropped off. My Ford was 6 trips for the same power window and I eventually paid out of pocket to have it done by a glass shop of all things and they managed to fix it the first try added to a sway bar end link repair I paid to have done by another shop because the ford dealer wouldn't warranty it because they couldn't find a fault with the part (it fell off) and it was 2 days after they replaced it. The last straw and why I ended up in a Ram. I had great dealer service with my Ram dealer which is why even after my brutal Experience with my 3500 I still bought a new ram. That sadly has changed of late and is the cause of my current conundrum.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
And -30c this morning and still working plus the truck finally sits level left to right. Only took 4.5 years. They said the job took about 3 hours between vacuuming the system, recharging it and re calibration of the suspension. Funny they have a poster up with 4 different air suspension delete options for 2013 to 2019 rams with air suspension. Said they do a lot of them. Didn't ask the prices.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
I don’t know, tell me what that does say because I really liked the air ride suspension and because I realize it’s a factory system and that I’m well aware of its potential problems, I bought the warranty to cover my ass of anything ever happens to it and not everybody who has it has problems. But you know, it’s almost kinda like you have to at least be a little bit of a fan to get it and understand it but since you seem to be neither of those, I don’t expect you to agree with anything I said or gonna say about it.

I’m pretty sure you’re not talking to me because yes, I’ve said it, the air ride works really well for hitching up trailers like it does when I slide my Pete 379 under a different trailer at the yard but no, that’s not why I bought it. I bought it because I like the ride.
Well I agree with you I have owned three air ride two of three I had no issues with at all one i did. The 19 I have now no issues at all and its over three years old with 49000 miles! I bought for the ride and ease to help me with medical issues of getting in /out of truck not that I'M LAZY. (after working in service for 40 plus years with out a break before retiring I would not call it LAZY!) I really do like the fact too it helps to hook my trailers up as well when I hook up, but I rarely remember to use the air for that. The 2019 Air works different than the 2014 air ride for sure but both worked with no issues at all. I had a 2019 I had issues with and the air had some issues as well. I bought extended warranty on last three trucks and never used it on any of the three and had put over 100000 miles on the 2014. This current 2019 has been in the shop one time for a bad battery they replaced under warranty so far and that is it. I worried about start/stop feature on it but have yet to run in to any issues with it as well.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I really like the air suspension in my 16 Limited. It comes in tremendously when I hook and drop trailers. Also I need to raise my cargo trailer up when pulling in/out of my driveway or my ball mount with scrape the apron with it's design.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Air suspension systems are generally high maintenance suspensions ..especially long-term. But they can be great, even superior, if properly repaired and maintaine.

In general terms, what I learned (from working on/owning cars with air susp) is the importance of learning as much as you can about how the system operates, in order to properly debug problems and maintain/repair them. There are a number of simple points-of-failure which can crop up on an air system, many of which can be inexpensive fixes, *if* ya know where to look. Relying on shops to repair them, takes someone who is really 'up' on air suspension. Otherwise you get parts replacers who tend to want to replace the most expensive parts first.

For the DIY guys, I would encourage reading the air suspension section in the Dodge Ram factory service manual (forward and backward). Guys who want a cheap-to-own truck 8yrs down the road and don't like to dig into repairs themselves, I'd stay away from air suspensions entirely.