POS Air Ride Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Problem at the moment is getting things fixed properly. Not take a shot, test it once and out the door still broken the next day. Makes the warranty pretty much worthless if I have to pay out of pocket to get it fixed. Nevermind extra hotel nights,rentals and general inconvenience of the wait times to get it in in the first place.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No lifetime warranty available in Canada. I have about 5 months left on my coverage and 86000 kms roughly. Never get to that point mileage wise in that time. I have 46,000 miles on it in down south measurements. Most of the major problems happened before I ever used it for work because I didn't trust it to be reliable from the first time I drove it. Eventually my old 1/2 ton ram 2011 Laramie started to nickel and dime me a lot to keep it up to my standards, but sold it with nothing wrong and looking like new with close to 300,000 on it so a half ton is fine for me. From tradesman to limited the drivetrain, suspension (apart from air), brakes etc are all the same so no reason to expect a lower option truck would be more reliable.The rebel is just a 1500 with some appearance changes and a 1" lift so not any better or really different from a drivetrain perspective. I mean my power locks don't work still and pretty hard to find anything that doesn't have those nowadays. Same with the transmission issues, leaking diff and the rest. First trans leak and diff leak was under 1000 miles and it hadn't gone anywhere, but back and forth to the dealer and the golf course.
You’re right, as far as drivetrain, transmission, axles, drivelines, Ujoints, stuff like that is all the same pretty much within all the trims but what I was getting at was a three-quarter ton is a lot tougher even though just despite that last truck you said you had, was a lot more reliable even though it was a half-ton just most certainly without the air ride.

As far as the Rebel; sure, it is for the most part just an appearance package but, it does come with an extra inch of ride height that could be useful for what you do and not only that, I thought you said before that you’ve had issues with your automatic four-wheel-drive transfer case which is something else the rebel doesn’t have and it comes with all the extra skid plates if whether or not that would’ve helped in your case and that’s also why I said one- even a Rebel that didn’t have as much options as the one you have right now does.

And you’re right, just like with stick shift transmissions, manual door locks and windows are just about as scarce anymore but still, you’ve just had bad luck with yours because some people just never seem to have problems with them. It’s all just a matter of the luck of the draw of whether or not you’re going to be that person that has issues with it or you’re gonna be that person that never will.

A lesser-equipped truck might still do you good because you’ve even said you had issues with the passive-entry system as well. For what you do, that doesn’t seem like an option that someone like you would want of you have to camp out in your truck from time to time, that’s all I was saying when I mentioned a truck that didn’t have all those options.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Problem at the moment is getting things fixed properly. Not take a shot, test it once and out the door still broken the next day. Makes the warranty pretty much worthless if I have to pay out of pocket to get it fixed. Nevermind extra hotel nights,rentals and general inconvenience of the wait times to get it in in the first place.
True, but being that this air suspension is a well-known problematic system, I wouldn’t have it in the first place if I did what you did up in the extreme cold even though I do have the lifetime warranty. It’s a proven fact these systems don’t like cold climates and again, I’m not playing the blame game or the I-told-you-so game even considering the shop you took it to didn’t verify it the right way to make sure your truck was fixed and good to go before they have it back to you. I’m just saying you probably would’ve had a lot less headaches and saved a bunch of money had you not got one that had the air suspension even with whatever warranty you have.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You’re right, as far as drivetrain, transmission, axles, drivelines, Ujoints, stuff like that is all the same pretty much within all the trims but what I was getting at was a three-quarter ton is a lot tougher even though just despite that last truck you said you had, was a lot more reliable even though it was a half-ton just most certainly without the air ride.

As far as the Rebel; sure, it is for the most part just an appearance package but, it does come with an extra inch of ride height that could be useful for what you do and not only that, I thought you said before that you’ve had issues with your automatic four-wheel-drive transfer case which is something else the rebel doesn’t have and it comes with all the extra skid plates if whether or not that would’ve helped in your case and that’s also why I said one- even a Rebel that didn’t have as much options as the one you have right now does.

And you’re right, just like with stick shift transmissions, manual door locks and windows are just about as scarce anymore but still, you’ve just had bad luck with yours because some people just never seem to have problems with them. It’s all just a matter of the luck of the draw of whether or not you’re going to be that person that has issues with it or you’re gonna be that person that never will.

A lesser-equipped truck might still do you good because you’ve even said you had issues with the passive-entry system as well. For what you do, that doesn’t seem like an option that someone like you would want of you have to camp out in your truck from time to time, that’s all I was saying when I mentioned a truck that didn’t have all those options.
I went to a 1500 last time from a 3500Ram SLT so pretty base model. The 3500 cost me close to 50k in repairs and spent a full year total in the shop in 240k/150,000 miles. Actually had a beat up 1/2 ton ford with 400,000 ish on it if I remember correctly I bought as a backup truck and it was more reliable than my new truck.at the time. It never broke down on me. I have a truck that should do the job if I can get repairs done properly. If I have to pull the air suspension so be it, but that's not my real sticking point at the moment. It's the inability to have a fix last more than a day.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went to a 1500 last time from a 3500Ram SLT so pretty base model. The 3500 cost me close to 50k in repairs and spent a full year total in the shop in 240k/150,000 miles. Actually had a beat up 1/2 ton ford with 400,000 ish on it if I remember correctly I bought as a backup truck and it was more reliable than my new truck.at the time. It never broke down on me.
Is it safe to assume that maybe the reason why you had those problems was because back in those days, the HD’s were made in Mexico? I’m just saying and may be totally off base with that one or who knows, maybe you just wound up with a bad one. That crap happens far too much these days irregardless how you use it even if you did buy the proper equipment for what your intended use was gonna be.
I have a truck that should do the job if I can get repairs done properly. If I have to pull the air suspension so be it, but that's not my real sticking point at the moment. It's the inability to have a fix last more than a day.
Very true but still, shoddy service work or not, it still doesn’t take a way the fact that you have a system that really wasn’t designed for extreme cold temperatures and with what you do just really makes it even more of an unwise thing to have on your truck. I’m starting to wonder anymore if that air suspension is just pretty much one of those options that’s only intended for people like me who drives a pickup just to have one but doesn’t really need one and for people who live in warmer climates…lol. Again, I may be wrong about all that but that’s what it sure seems like to me. I think after reading all the comments and posts ever since I bought my truck that I’ve come to the conclusion that of I was using my truck for work and to spend a lot of time off road that the air suspension and the auto-transfer case are two things I definitely would not have, questionable repair shops or not.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
pretty much all commercial trucks have air suspension now and put on millions of miles so why a reliable system can't go on a pickup is beyond me. Just do straight air with drain valves and a place to inject the antifreeze for when it's cold. A little more maintenance, but for most it could be done when the oil change is done and for those in cold climates they have to do a little more, but have a system that works. My off road is so minimal and not like I'm rock crawling and the suspension worked the last 2 winters up here. Heck is it's been over a year since I've seen worse than a gravel county road with barely a pothole in sight so I left my old snows on to save gas mileage and burn them off this summer. I got caught up in they made improvements and the system is now reliable hype. I've been passing on the deep in the woods work since there's so much work available right now to keep my costs down. Every half ton I've owned. Granted I've only had 2 from new and one that was a miled out back up gave me no major issues. Just my 3500 and the current truck have been headaches.anyhow I'm getting off topic so moving on.

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
pretty much all commercial trucks have air suspension now and put on millions of miles so why a reliable system can't go on a pickup is beyond me. Just do straight air with drain valves and a place to inject the antifreeze for when it's cold. A little more maintenance, but for most it could be done when the oil change is done and for those in cold climates they have to do a little more, but have a system that works.
On a halfton, tho? C’mon…lol. Maybe a system like that on the HD trucks but not not a 1500. Not even as an option on the tradesmens. Too many people buy these trucks just because they want a truck and not a SUV. That would cause more crap than the current sysyem does. Some people can’t even properly maintain a diesel, much less the kind of air suspension’s big trucks have. That would be a nightmare.

My off road is so minimal and not like I'm rock crawling. Heck is it's been over a year since I've seen worse than a gravel county road with barely a pothole in sight so I left my old snows on to save gas mileage and burn them off this summer. I got caught up in they made improvements and the system is now reliable hype. I've been passing on the deep in the woods work since there's so much work available right now to keep my costs down. Every half ton I've owned. Granted I've only had 2 from new and one that was a miled out back up gave me no major issues. Just my 3500 and the current truck have been headaches.anyhow I'm getting off topic so moving on.
I wasn’t implying that you were rock crawling your truck, I’m just saying I thought I’ve seen pictures you posted where you’ve been in some pretty sloppy stuff but I guess I was wrong but ok, I just thought what I said was stuff that needed to be said for other members who might be looking at these luxury air ride trucks for work use.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
On a halfton, tho? C’mon…lol. Maybe a system like that on the HD trucks but not not a 1500. Not even as an option on the tradesmens. Too many people buy these trucks just because they want a truck and not a SUV. That would cause more crap than the current sysyem does. Some people can’t even properly maintain a diesel, much less the kind of air suspension’s big trucks have. That would be a nightmare.

I wasn’t implying that you were rock crawling your truck, I’m just saying I thought I’ve seen pictures you posted where you’ve been in some pretty sloppy stuff but I guess I was wrong but ok, I just thought what I said was stuff that needed to be said for other members who might be looking at these luxury air ride trucks for work use.
It has been in some sloppy stuff, but it's usually fight your way in and then fight your way out a few weeks later. So minimal and if I break something doing that I hardly blame ram. I just pay the repair bill as a cost of doing business. Those are the times I need the extra clearance because big trucks make deep ruts and I don't want to hear scraping. That's why I raised my last one 1.5" in the front and an inch in the rear. Just enough to keep my crossmember and plastic bumper air deflector from scraping most of the time. Also have run roads that have big potholes at times so I run heavier tires and carry chains for hard pack clay stuff because it's so slippery. If I blow up a shock because of that once again so be it, but my shocks are fine thus far. If they can just get the moisture out there would be no issue and I replaced 1 tie rod end on my last truck and that was all the front end needed for the time I had it so it's life wasn't that bad apart from a crossmember I dented hitting a rock poking out in the road centre, but I replaced that on my dime no complaints. The system needs to have a better way to deal with moisture and add a little lubrication if possible to make the compressor and other moving parts more reliable. The suspension itself is up to the task apart from that. A system that doesn't work below zero regardless of how you use it is just nonsense to me. I don't get too upset at repair bills as long as the truck is repaired. Air system wouldn't be as complicated as the big truck since there's no air brakes or aux.air. Just 4 bags, a compressor and a valve block to control the 4 corner pressures or even just front/rear not like mine sits level left to right anyways. Only difference from the current would be a place to inject antifreeze and some drain valves. Once the nitrogen leaks out that's what's left essentially apart from drains as I can pour antifreeze down the inlet tube.

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It has been in some sloppy stuff, but it's usually fight your way in and then fight your way out a few weeks later. So minimal and if I break something doing that I hardly blame ram. I just pay the repair bill as a cost of doing business. Those are the times I need the extra clearance because big trucks make deep ruts and I don't want to hear scraping. That's why I raised my last one 1.5" in the front and an inch in the rear. Just enough to keep my crossmember and plastic bumper air deflector from scraping most of the time. Also have run roads that have big potholes at times so I run heavier tires and carry chains for hard pack clay stuff because it's so slippery. If I blow up a shock because of that once again so be it, but my shocks are fine thus far. If they can just get the moisture out there would be no issue and I replaced 1 tie rod end on my last truck and that was all the front end needed for the time I had it so it's life wasn't that bad apart from a crossmember I dented hitting a rock poking out in the road centre, but I replaced that on my dime no complaints.
I wouldn’t blame Ram either in that situation but even though these modern day half-tons have a little better qualities from older trucks back in the 90s and early 2000s, they’re still not built like the older trucks. They’re not made for that. Even the limited slip differentials; they’re only designed for icy and slick highways and getting you out of your driveway.
The system needs to have a better way to deal with moisture and add a little lubrication if possible to make the compressor and other moving parts more reliable. The suspension itself is up to the task apart from that. A system that doesn't work below zero regardless of how you use it is just nonsense to me. I don't get too upset at repair bills as long as the truck is repaired. Air system wouldn't be as complicated as the big truck since there's no air brakes or aux.air. Just 4 bags, a compressor and a valve block to control the 4 corner pressures or even just front/rear not like mine sits level left to right anyways. Only difference from the current would be a place to inject antifreeze and some drain valves. Once the nitrogen leaks out that's what's left essentially apart from drains as I can pour antifreeze down the inlet tube.
The only thing really that I see so far that plagues these air ride systems is what @tach tech covered when he said these things vent nitrogen out if it senses too much and then has to turn around and rely on outside air which is riddled with moisture to make up for it with no real way to filter it out, which causes the biggest problems in cold weather. Making the system a complete and true sealed system alone would be a big help. The way it is now, it’s almost like it’s designed to fail which is another reason why it’s probably not a good idea to have it if you’re using the truck as a “truck” especially up where you’re at.

And yeah, I get it, being a truck driver myself, I understand what you’re getting at but people who don’t know crap about those air systems aren’t going to maintenance that system the way its supposed to be which is gonna cause even more issues. Not everybody knows about airline antifreeze and bleeding water out of air tanks when it’s cold when they probably don’t even have the slightest idea what an air dryer is, much less even heard of one and to know that yes, it has a filter cartridge and if you’re getting water in your tanks, it’s time to replace it but who knows, they’d probably label that damn thing as a filter that never has to be changed unless a certain amount of “special driving conditions” have been met which still confuses people on that 8-speed transmission that they say you’re never to mess with.

There’s ways to make this air ride better but still; I don’t think was intended for real “truck” use. I thought it was kinda funny when I learned how my auto-transfer case works- which is useless for real four-wheeling but yet with my air suspension, I can make the truck two inches taller at two presses of a button….lol.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I wouldn’t blame Ram either in that situation but even though these modern day half-tons have a little better qualities from older trucks back in the 90s and early 2000s, they’re still not built like the older trucks. They’re not made for that. Even the limited slip differentials; they’re only designed for icy and slick highways and getting you out of your driveway.

The only thing really that I see so far that plagues these air ride systems is what @tach tech covered when he said these things vent nitrogen out if it senses too much and then has to turn around and rely on outside air which is riddled with moisture to make up for it with no real way to filter it out, which causes the biggest problems in cold weather. Making the system a complete and true sealed system alone would be a big help. The way it is now, it’s almost like it’s designed to fail which is another reason why it’s probably not a good idea to have it if you’re using the truck as a “truck” especially up where you’re at.

And yeah, I get it, being a truck driver myself, I understand what you’re getting at but people who don’t know crap about those air systems aren’t going to maintenance that system the way its supposed to be which is gonna cause even more issues. Not everybody knows about airline antifreeze and bleeding water out of air tanks when it’s cold when they probably don’t even have the slightest idea what an air dryer is, much less even heard of one and to know that yes, it has a filter cartridge and if you’re getting water in your tanks, it’s time to replace it but who knows, they’d probably label that damn thing as a filter that never has to be changed unless a certain amount of “special driving conditions” have been met which still confuses people on that 8-speed transmission that they say you’re never to mess with.

There’s ways to make this air ride better but still; I don’t think was intended for real “truck” use. I thought it was kinda funny when I learned how my auto-transfer case works- which is useless for real four-wheeling but yet with my air suspension, I can make the truck two inches taller at two presses of a button….lol.
I've made peace with the transfer case thing. Tire chains make up for it if needed and I have a spare T-case in my garage with the shift motor and all the wiring attached. For 300 bucks I thought why not. I have 3 friends and my sister with the same case so there's a chance one of us will use it.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've made peace with the transfer case thing. Tire chains make up for it if needed and I have a spare T-case in my garage with the shift motor and all the wiring attached. For 300 bucks I thought why not. I have 3 friends and my sister with the same case so there's a chance one of us will use it.
And at least one thing about it, if you didn’t want to replace your transfer case and still keep it auto fir whenever you wanted that similar all wheel drive set up on the highway, there’s always that kit you can buy from that Brandon guy on here that tricks the system into thinking your rear wheels are slipping all the time that locks in the clutches with that switch which might not be a bad idea in your case because if you think about it, those damn 44–44 transfer cases are almost kind of designed to fail as well because the more you use them, the more wear and tear occurs on those clutch plates as it’s constantly engaging and disengaging that front driveshaft.

If I actually off-roaded in my truck and if I didn’t have that lifetime warranty to cover it, I think I would damn sure have that switch just because of the fact that it allows you to still have your auto four-wheel-drive but have your fully locked in four-wheel-drive when you need it, and not having to worry about accelerated wear in the transfer case and having to run the risk of tearing your truck up with a set a tire chains which shouldn’t even be using anyway….

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
funny they say you can't use them yet certain roads and highways you're legally required to have them. Guess ram really has decided their trucks are only fair weather mall crawlers. they keep that to themselves in the ad campaigns where they're overloaded and off road. I guess Ram trucks. Built to pick up a coffe table from ikea and grab a Starbucks on a warm sunny day doesn't have the same appeal.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
funny they say you can't use them yet certain roads and highways you're legally required to have them. Guess ram really has decided their trucks are only fair weather mall crawlers. they keep that to themselves in the ad campaigns where they're overloaded and off road. I guess Ram trucks. Built to pick up a coffe table from ikea and grab a Starbucks on a warm sunny day doesn't have the same appeal.
Well, I guess that just all depends on where you live too because I guess there could be some places in this country and up there north of the border where you live but they don’t care about four-wheel-drive alone or studded snow tires, tire socks and cables but unless the laws have changed since I left, back when I lived in Colorado they did have chain laws up in the high countries where the really hairy mountain passes were but at the time, as long as you weren’t in a semi or driving some other CMV over 10,000 pounds, as long as it was a passenger vehicle that had four-wheel-drive and/or snow-rated tires, you didn’t have to have tire chains but yeah, I get it, that’s what I’ve been saying all along about these modern day halftons as they’re basically just full-size SUVs with truck beds. They may have much higher trailer tow ratings and payload ratings but they’re just nothing more than a large car with a big cab and a box on the back of it.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well if they're going to keep advertising their 1/2 tons as trucks and show them loaded up and towing and fooling around off road then I'm not going to accept the argument that it's unreliable because it's being used as a truck argument. They want to advertise with it driving the kids to school and cruising downtown being cursed out by the Eco crowd for driving something big and pointless then I'll accept that argument.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well if they're going to keep advertising their 1/2 tons as trucks and show them loaded up and towing and fooling around off road then I'm not going to accept the argument that it's unreliable because it's being used as a truck argument. They want to advertise with it driving the kids to school and cruising downtown being cursed out by the Eco crowd for driving something big and pointless then I'll accept that argument.
I don’t get what you’re saying… Lol. I don’t generally pay a whole lot attention to commercials but when the ram trucks ones comes on, if my memory serves me correctly, it’s only the heavy duty‘s that they show doing the real truck work and the half tons maybe only pulling the boats and travel trailers but like I said, I don’t really pay that much attention to commercials and ads so I really don’t know to be honest.

But I still stand behind what I said. Between the passenger rated four ply tires, the 20 inch wheels and now the 22 inch wheels, the transfer cases that will get you stuck if you don’t know how to use them or don’t realize what they truly are, the extremely luxurious four-door cabs with the leather and the wood grain trim, panoramic sunroofs, a radio with a touchscreen that’s as large as a full-size laptop turned on its side, wireless chargers And much shorter beds just so that the truck will fit in an average size garage; yes, these things are not real trucks anymore but hey, I’m not putting them down because I have one and proud of it… Lol. People like myself is why half ton trucks have gone the route that they’ve gone over the last 15 years.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The chassis and cab trucks come in limited trim as well up to 5500. No reason not to have a comfortable interior in a truck. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh4Gr2qNCtU 1 year older than my truck, but makes my point. The new ones they're marketing more as luxury car replacements though. Except in their superbowl add with a bed load of vikings pulling a giant ship. Lol

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The chassis and cab trucks come in limited trim as well up to 5500. No reason not to have a comfortable interior in a truck. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh4Gr2qNCtU 1 year older than my truck, but makes my point. The new ones they're marketing more as luxury car replacements though. Except in their superbowl add with a bed load of vikings pulling a giant ship. Lol
Well yeah, I forgot to mention that you can still get leather and luxury in even the 5500 cab and chassis trucks but still, those trucks have the stiffer frames, heavier tires, heavier suspensions, heavier everything made to work.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well yeah, I forgot to mention that you can still get leather and luxury in even the 5500 cab and chassis trucks but still, those trucks have the stiffer frames, heavier tires, heavier suspensions, heavier everything made to work.
I've found the heavier trucks are worse for me. Front end parts wear fast from the extra weight of the truck. Most guys who can get away with it have switched to 1/2 tons. Less maintenance and repairs. I switched from ford because of poor dealer service and until covid my local ram dealer fixed everything for the most part first try. Lost a bunch of people during covid and now they can't seem to fix anything. Not sure what to do next truck.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've found the heavier trucks are worse for me. Front end parts wear fast from the extra weight of the truck. Most guys who can get away with it have switched to 1/2 tons. Less maintenance and repairs. I switched from ford because of poor dealer service and until covid my local ram dealer fixed everything for the most part first try. Lost a bunch of people during covid and now they can't seem to fix anything. Not sure what to do next truck.
Well maybe perhaps if you got one of the new ones that’s made here, maybe you’ll have better luck.

councalled

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I RAM Limited is a 2016 with the God forsaken air ride suspension. Works great in the summer but once winter hits MN it goes to hell. 1st 3 years were fine then in the winter of 2020 when it gets below zero which it does on a regular basis up here in MN the rear collapses on itself. When I start the truck it will raise to normal operating position and all was good. 2021 does the same but half hour into a 3 hr drive the rear collapses again and there is no fix. Cattle truck with no rear suspension. Of course out of warranty, now back in my heated garage it decides to work again. I can't be the only one experiencing this issue with the air ride can I? I've checked all lines and bags for leaks, no issues. So am I stuck with a suspension system that won't work as designed when below zero? Never ever again will I buy a truck with air ride. Anyone have any fixes or ideas? RAM of course no help what so ever.
My 2018 Limited has that 4 corner air suspension problem that the fuse kept blowing out. I saw someone in the northern state replaced the fuse with an auto-reset breaker, so I tried and I haven't had any problem since except two times, but it resets and works completely fine. It's been one year without burning my pocket for replacement fuses. Maybe it will work for you since the guy is also living in your snow winter cold area.