Possible Electrical Problem - 2005 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trainingdragon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Looking for some feedback if possible. I've noticed that my battery seems to go low pretty often. Truck only has about 50,000 miles. I don't drive it often which might be part of the problem. I've noticed that the battery gauge reads about 13.2 volts while running and fluctuates quite a bit while adding throttle or turning stuff on and off (lights etc). Curious if it might be an alternator, battery, PCM etc. Seems a little hard to diagnose. I've a bit about the PCM/ECM but mostly with regard to the diesels. My truck is the gas engine. Just looking for thoughts and ideas to check. Lastly, if I rev up the truck a bit I get a little over 14V of charging.

Thanks everyone

46RamMan

U.S. Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looking for some feedback if possible. I've noticed that my battery seems to go low pretty often. Truck only has about 50,000 miles. I don't drive it often which might be part of the problem. I've noticed that the battery gauge reads about 13.2 volts while running and fluctuates quite a bit while adding throttle or turning stuff on and off (lights etc). Curious if it might be an alternator, battery, PCM etc. Seems a little hard to diagnose. I've a bit about the PCM/ECM but mostly with regard to the diesels. My truck is the gas engine. Just looking for thoughts and ideas to check. Lastly, if I rev up the truck a bit I get a little over 14V of charging.

Thanks everyone
Kinda sounds like the voltage regulator in the alternator issue...

JKFSHAFT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had that issue once and it ended up being the starter.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Voltage should be a solid 14+ when running, IMO. I would suspect regulator circuit issues as well.

A bad cell in the battery could also cause some wonky stuff. But if that were bad enough to drag the charge circuit down while running, you would likely have issues starting as well.

Would be worth it to take a look at ground connections in the engine bay as well.

I will be curious to see what the outcome is.

MrFixIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Another idea is a bad connection at one of 7 places. either end of 3 cables in particular. 1. The battery ground cable, either the battery or the block end. 2. The positive battery cable, either the battery or the fuse block/starter ends (depends on where your cable runs to) 3. Alternator charge cable, either end may have loosened or even been overtightened. 4. lastly the alternator must be securely grounded to the block. Over the years I have had issues with any of these locations and any one of them is a cause for poor charging.